THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Tom, as you must know, GMC's came stock with Pontiac V8's from '55-'59.
Very cool old trucks!
Yes, I did know that. In fact a friend in Michigan "Ralph Piper" used to race Pontiacs and the tow vehicle for his 455HO GTO (trailered to the track) was that 1956 GMC Truck, except this truck had a 1965 GTO engine (with Tri-Power) installed and a Turbo 400 trans.

First time he popped the hood I was like WOW, what a nice engine swap.

He lived about 30 miles from the track and raced each weekend.

Tom V.

I would use the 1956 GMC truck to pull a Teardrop trailer for fly fishing weekends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teardrop trailer.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	553248  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 11-07-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Yes, I did know that. In fact a friend in Michigan "Ralph Piper" used to race Pontiacs and the tow vehicle for his 455HO GTO (trailered to the track) was that 1956 GMC Truck, except this truck had a 1965 GTO engine (with Tri-Power) installed and a Turbo 400 trans.

First time he popped the hood I was like WOW, what a nice engine swap.

He lived about 30 miles from the track and raced each weekend.

Tom V.

I would use the 1956 GMC truck to pull a Teardrop trailer for fly fishing weekends.
Unrelated, but similar: about 12 years ago we were camping in the California desert and exploring old ghost towns, etc. In a private junkyard along the way, there was a beat up late '60's Ford F-100 pickup.....with a '69 RAIII 400 in it out of a GTO complete with the correct air cleaner and exhaust manifolds. It was in a shed, so it wasn't sitting our rusting. Wonder what happened to it?

Old 11-08-2020, 03:59 PM

My first Gto was a 66 barrier blue/white conv 4spd. I was 17 and bought it with a spun bearing for $900.. Had it rebuilt to go fast specs switched the complete axle and housing with a friend who had a 4:33 and was not happy with his mpg. It was quick enough to take down L78 chevelles and 440 rruners. I was a happy for a year with my thrush mufflers hanging down until I overwound it and missed a gear... KaPow..I had to sadly walk away from it then and buy a 61 black impala 283 driver for $450. I had a few more Gtos since (67,68,70) and still have my 66 post 4spd but it always seems the first had the best memories

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the early 80s the older kid across the street had a first gen bird 4spd/OHC6 and he swapped a 400 from a Grand Prix. That thing would scream but he never got it legal. In the late 80s I got my 1st Pontiac after a few Chevies, 70 GTO 400/auto, and have been hooked ever since. I had that car for almost 10yrs and put over 100k miles on it. I got my 69 in 2007

Old 11-11-2020, 12:58 PM

1982, just finished my residency in Emergency Medicine, married for 2 weeks, moved to Bradenton, Florida from Ohio to begin what would be a 40 year career. My new (and still) wife had an RX-7 and we needed a second car.
We made a trip to the local mall and I saw a white '70 GTO hardtop at Fred Watkins Used Car lot. It looked neat and had a judge wing on the back. The salesman told me it was a 455 (it wasn't). I knew absolutely nothing about cars, but I recalled something about GTO's and tigers from TV. I wandered into a mall bookstore and decided to see if there were any books on the GTO. I found Alfred Drake's "Big Little GTO" book. I read it cover-to-cover that night and I was hooked. I bought the white hardtop for $1200. A few days later the clutch fork broke. I went to Sears and bought a floor jack, wrenches, sockets and jack stands and called my friend Tim Janz, a car nut and ER doc in Dayton Ohio. He walked me through that first repair (the clutch mechanism had chevy and cadillac parts), and the next one, and the rest is history. Remember, I had never owned or used a wrench in my life up to that point. Fast forward 40+ years and several POCI and GTOAA championships later and I am still rebuilding/modifying/restoring 1970 GTOs (and a few Ferraris and an M35-A2 military truck). This is the Orbit Orange stock RAIV 4-speed Judge I'm restoring now and the modified 455 6-speed car that I drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	553641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	553642   Click image for larger version

Name:	57204952128__0F7AE6FF-7695-490A-8014-88A36C6721CD.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	553643  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 02:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Hotrodfarmboy

To all who read this thread I have to give my heartfelt sympathy. I have known Bob for many, many years and have long ago given up trying to understand his twisted brain. The wise will say: "you can't fix crazy" Anyway, my love of Pontiacs started when I was a teenager and my Dad bought a brand new "60 Ventura. It was Honduras Maroon with the tri-color vinyl interior. I had my first backseat frisky experience with my girlfriend in that car......it was epic! I'll never forget it.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Pontiacs snuck into my life when I was 17. It was just after I had bought my first car, a Camaro. An older friend of mine teased me relentlessly about the decision, proclaiming that if I wanted to feel real power I'd have bought a Firebird instead. One day he tossed me the keys to his 76 455 4 speed Trans Am and told me to run into town for some groceries for him with the disclaimer: "Don't wreck it, break it, or get arrested in it." I did none of those things, but I did get it to 100 mph up a hill he bragged about being the only vehicle he'd owned that could accomplish that feat. I've only ever accomplished that same thing in another Pontiac.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Administrator

2 very impressionable things happened to me while a Junior in High School. My typing teacher had a 1968 GTO convertible that he actually sold to a student. That student and I were on the Golf team and he drove us to a match in that GTO.

Later that Summer, my best friend called and told me he bought a 67 GTO convertible for $500 and I should check it out. Red with white interior. We took it for a ride and I was absolutely taken by that car.

Not long after, I found out a class mate was selling his 67 GTO that he had parked because of a front end collision. I bought that car or $300 and spent the Summer finding the front end parts needed to get it back on the road.

I guess I was hooked from that point forward.

Btw, that 67 GTO is the same one 45 years later that many of you have seen me with at various events right up until current!

Old 11-11-2020, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably began around 1951 when I was 9. My Dad, a typical coal miner, used chewing tobacco in the mine and his brand was RED MAN, which at that time, included in its pouches, nice brightly colored “collector” trading cards with pictures of “famous” Indians. I collected many of them. About that same time our neighbor bought a Berkeshire Green 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe, 4dr with visor. I would help him wash it and I fell in love with the Indian on the hood.

In 1958 when I was ready for a driver’s license our family car was a beautiful red & white 56 Ford Crown Victoria. I had convinced Dad to put Hollywood mufflers on it, so when it came time for my driving test, I knew I couldn’t use it. So, I borrowed my step-brother’s 1956 Pontiac for the test. I immediately felt the “difference” between the Ford and Pontiac.

In 1958, I happened to meet at school and form a 62-yr friendship with a buddy whose family car was a 4dr hardtop 1957 Super Chief, Chevron blue with white arrow. At about that time, the hottest car in town was a fierce running 57 Chevy that had a big reputation. My buddy ran him and beat him in the Super Chief.

My first Pontiac was a 65 GTO in February-1965. Had several more Pontiacs over the years, currently with a 67 Lemans show car and a 63 Lemans 428-Muncie, leaf spring project car. My buddy has a fierce running 64 GTO. IT ALL SNEAKED UP ON ME!

Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I came home from the hospital when I was born in a Pontiac.
We’re you born in the front seat or the back?

Old 11-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Fall 1963, I was in the local neighbor hood park in Pittsburgh and I saw a car go down the street without tail lights just two long clear lenses
. Then I saw another one go down the hill and the driver hit the brakes and the whole rear end lighted up, I said WOW What a car!! I'm talking about the 64 Grand Prix..