THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Definitely not car people!! I have let a few friends beat the piss out of my car!! And loved every second of it. I've even let friends do donuts!! But.. thats my call!!

I don’t have the kind of car you do that with. My classics are restored to be appreciated in other ways. I’m not saying you can’t have fun with them, but I’m not the type of person to beat the snot out of them. If I wanted to do that I’d build a race car and tear down the track on 2 tires. Because when I do something I do it fully loaded! Like my restorations, that race car would be built to also be enjoyed.

The thing is, my friends and family members know what we’ve put into them, but still don’t get it and get bent out of shape.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I don’t have the kind of car you do that with. My classics are restored to be appreciated in other ways. I’m not saying you can’t have fun with them, but I’m not the type of person to beat the snot out of them. If I wanted to do that I’d build a race car and tear down the track on 2 tires. Because when I do something I do it fully loaded! Like my restorations, that race car would be built to also be enjoyed.

The thing is, my friends and family members know what we’ve put into them, but still don’t get it and get bent out of shape.
That's on them and not you, if they dont understand.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM

I think it's rude of them to even ask. Just my opinion.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't want to be in a situation where someone screws up my car and I wished that I had been "rude".

I leant someone my 911 one time and I'll never do that again. They were late in returning it and brought it back with an empty tank. Talk about rude.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

They won't know unless they ask, and regardless of answer, should cause no bad feelings with either party. I did tell one dickbeater that if we wanted "to drive a car like this".... he should build one himself. My son wants to borrow vehicle "X" or "Y" and when told no, he said why not? I told him - "look at your car, one big dent in the quarter the first week, and then you wrecked it into a tree two months later". While his is not a stock in the market, "past performance is not a guarantee of future returns"... yet as a data point, his record with rolling stock isn't great. Thank God its a civic he is piloting at the moment and not the 'Hurst/Olds station wagon' we had built together.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a situation where someone screws up my car and I wished that I had been "rude".

I leant someone my 911 one time and I'll never do that again. They were late in returning it and brought it back with an empty tank. Talk about rude.
I had a 'so called friend' that would borrow anything he could get his hands on. He kept borrowing my material handler (large all wheel drive fork lift) and would return it empty. His excuse was he wasn't sure where the fuel filler was. IT was a big cap right on the side of the machine!! AND he has forgotten more about diesels and equipment than I have ever learned. He had one of my small equipment trailers for about 2 years, when I finally went to his house to pick it up after repeatidly asking him to bring it back, all he did was cuss me out for being a @%@&@%^@. Needless to say his true colours came out, havent talked to him for years now.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Well some good opinions here thanks to all for your thoughts.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell them to buy their own. When I had a cabin.. everybody wanted to use it too.. I worked my ass off for everything I have so I can enjoy it... not others to use and abuse. If people want something bad enough.. They'll get off their ass and work for it..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car is like a wild animal. If you aren't ready for what's going to happen, and just jump in and flog it, bad things can happen fast. I'd feel pretty lousy if a friend of mine hurt themselves badly in my car.

A long time ago, I just stopped lending things to people. That started when I was in college and someone would ask to borrow a CD "so I can copy it." I'd say "give me a blank tape, and I'll just dub it for you." (They never would.) It was sealed when I (years ago) worked for a guy who made $500,000 / year, and liked borrowing $20 (back when $20 was like $100 today) from his rank and file workers and refusing to pay them back.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a time when I wouldn't even loan out a wrench if it was going to leave my sight, let alone my car!

That said, a few years ago my best friend asked to use my 56 Corvette for his wedding. It was tough, but we added him to the insurance at his expensive and I gave him some driving lessons for the non-synchro 4-spd (how to double clutch). When the time came, they planned on driving it from the wedding to the hotel. I insisted he put the top up, lock it, AND use the car cover. That it had to be parked under a light and right outside the window of their room. In the end, he decided it was just too much responsibility and he decided not to do it.

As I've gotten older, I've come to trust a bit more and there are 2 people on this earth now I would let drive my cars and they are my 2 best friends. Both car guys and respectful to the extreme. Heck, after the T56 install on my 69 Firebird, I'm going to INSIST that one of them drive my car (the guy that has other manual classics). I'll be in the car of course.

I also know that if something happened, they would accept full responsibility for it and they would make it 100% (and are financially capable of such) as they I know I have for them. If you can't trust someone that implicitly, then no way let them drive your car! That's the bottom line.

All that said, I still wouldn't loan a friend or neighbor so much as a wrench if it was going to leave my sight lol. Probably because if someone didn't return it I would never talk to them again and always hold the grudge, so I just avoid it. I've had a lot of tools never returned and I've ghosted many so-called friends over the years for less.

I find it very distasteful to ask to drive someone's vehicle. It's right up there with asking how much you paid for something. It's extremely rude given 99% of circumstances.

Last edited by 92GTA; 10-18-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:47 PM

My daughter has permission to take my gto out any time she wants, doesn't need to ask, but only her behind the wheel. A buddy of mine helped R&R the transmission and clutch in the 440 6bbl road runner I used to have. When we were done I handed him the keys and said 'let's go!' He wouldn't drive it as he was worried about wrecking it. On the other hand, I was always more worried about something breaking and leaving us stranded. I have had 2 friends ask to drive my cars, but they are gearheads and I let them. Maybe because I have unrestored rolling wrecks people don't ask

To answer the Question.... it is rude to assume that its okay to ask and permission will be granted. I don't see it as rude to ask and then carry on without butthurt when the answer is no.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 15 years ago another PY member moved to my area after buying a home less than 2 miles away. Because of this website we were able to meet up and become friends.
The very first time that we met was when he drove to my house in his impeccable low mileage 1969 RAIV GTO. The car has extensive documentation and still has less than 40K miles on it to this day. After several minutes of conversation, he handed me the his keys and insisted that I drive his car. I was stunned. And yes, I took him up on his offer!
We have remained friends and over the years he has had me do work on that car and other GTOs that he owns. He's a great guy and I treat his cars with the same respect that I have for him.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 20 years old, I had a '73 240Z and a 28 year old 'girlfriend'. She talked me into allowing her to drop me off at work every morning in my car and she'd drive my car on to her job. One day, a co-worker came in and told me that he had seen my car sitting on the side of the interstate. I went by her house and she was sitting there in her apartment having drinks with a male 'friend'. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last and I did not feel rude for the things I said to them that day.
Years later, I allowed a relative and his wife to borrow my '69 Buick convertible. It was one of my daily drivers but I was fairly easy on it as it had not been restored. They ran that car absolutely ragged all over the metro area and then ran it so hot that the engine seized. All I got was a 'Sorry, it's not like we TRIED to break your car!'
I said, 'Yeah?...well, I guess 'effing up' my car just came naturally to y'all!'.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I wasn’t just thinking quick when I said it, it’s actually on my policy with Hagerty. But I don’t carry the policy around with me to prove it, and I can’t believe these people would even ask then get bent out of shape when I explain it.
I don't know about YOUR policy with Hagerty, but I find it strange that they would issue a policy to you with such restrictions when Hagerty states right on their website that:

Quote:
Who can drive my car? Can my children drive it?

It’s up to your discretion who you allow to drive your car.
Just keep in mind, the same acceptable usage that applies to you applies to everyone who drives it. While Hagerty supports youth involvement in the hobby, our program guidelines requires that every driver must be fully licensed, with no state imposed restrictions (such as a suspension).
If I asked you to drive your car (which I wouldn't do) if you just said no, I wouldn't be offended at all. If you used the insurance excuse, I would be offended.

One of the reasons I have Hagerty covering my toy cars is that they have so few restrictions on usage.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:37 AM

My policy isn’t worded that way. No one under 25, and they must be listed on the policy as a licensed insured driver.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask them if you lend them the vintage wedding car, if you can then borrow their new honey spouse for a night. They don't get (not owning a classic car) that it is that level of personal intrusion. They think it some goofy parade toy object. But, if the right person asked humbly and in the right context (and could drive) I would be honored and probably lend it. I would insist on a drivers-ed pre-run with me.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Ask them if you lend them the vintage wedding car, if you can then borrow their new honey spouse for a night. They don't get (not owning a classic car) that it is that level of personal intrusion. They think it some goofy parade toy object. But, if the right person asked humbly and in the right context (and could drive) I would be honored and probably lend it. I would insist on a drivers-ed pre-run with me.
This right here, at least as far as the driver's ed run goes. My next door neighbor, who is a close friend and a stand up guy asked me a while back to help him find a classic car of some sort. Well, it came out during the ensuing conversation that the only reason for him to buy one is that his oldest daughter would like to ride in one for her upcoming grad. I told him not to worry about buying a car just for that he can use mine, I just want to to take him on a break in run first. He knows what the old blue thing is capable of, so he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Grandson is 14 years old. He has asked several times if I will teach him to drive 4 speed. Answer is--Of course, on my '64 GTO. This will, of course, be after he gets his learner's permit in May, 2020 ,and has logged behind the wheel time on "normal" cars. How else could this be handled.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-19-2019, 01:05 PM

My dad an X top chevy salesman for 30 years drove home so many nice cars 'back in the day' (early mid '60s) and on summer sunday nights he'd let me drive around the neighborhood with him starting when I was 13 y.o. He never really taught me how to drive I just knew from watching, the only thing I remember him saying was the back end follows the front. Ones I remember and liked the most were the 65 Vettes, a fuelie and a 396 with side pipes.
I know, off subject, those were the days. Today no ones driving my '66 Gto 4spd. If it were an auto only my wife would be more then welcome, (it's ours anyway) but she cant handle a stick.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of you guys are real downers.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Closed Thread