Old 04-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Ok I had the car out to the show and had plenty of stop and go traffic. Even stoped for gas and had a 15 minute idle time and the car never got over 182 degrees. I really feel for the first time since the rebuild that this motor has run so good. I did notice like I mentioned before that the idle was a bit higher and stayed about 1200 RPM at lights and waiting periods. I'm tempted to lower the idle but feel that because of the manifold vacuum source at the distributor it's elevated some.....Thanks to this forum once again....Joe

1970 GTO Judge, PHS Doc. 4sp, #'s match, Ram Air III
2006 GTO Spice Red. M6,18" wheels, 400 HP LS2

richmondcountypontiac.com

Need High Quality Printing fast and reasonable?
www.farbetterprinting.com

Since 1974
Quotes at: sales@farbetterprinting.com
Old 04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yep, the additional vacuum advance has increased your idle speed. Crank it down a bit.

george

Old 04-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Chief

George, I will give the idle a couple of turns down. I will see if that affects temps any. Joe

Since 1974
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 AM
Senior Chief

The flowkooler pump and flexilite fan have not done the trick.
Is it possible that the headers we are running are heating up the oil filter which in turn is heating up the sump oil and slowly warming the block.
I don't have an oil temp gauge but it may be worth investing in one shortly.
Was thinking of running a remote mount oil filter and oil cooler. Has any one found this to be a concern.

Michael

Old 04-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Who can figure this? Drove the car to a show on Sunday. Had no traffic on the way to speak of and the temps were under 180. Upon leaving met with a slew of bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 mins. Temps were 190. Traffic cleared up and we were flying and temps went to 200+. Again got into the bumper to bumper stuff and the temps went down to 190. Started to clear and the temps climbed to 200. In bumper to bumper it seemed to run cooler???? Have a heavy duty fan clutch installed at present. Anyone get a bead on this? Joe

Since 1974
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 PM

Michael,
Headers are not the most likely culprit. I ran log style manifolds when I first started on the path, switched to HO RA II style GTO factory headers( so damned heavy you wont believe it!) and now run Dougs Headers with a full 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system and dynomax mufflers. The sound is incredible AND civilized. There has been no measurable difference in temp crawl or peak temps using any of these exhaust systems. The Log and HO manifolds were both routed well away from the filter housing in terms of the cit pipes.

The oil pump relocation system is an okay idea, but greatly increases the volume of the oil system, and can cause more problems than it solves. I tried it and went back to the old style filter housing when I discovered it was taking as long as 20 seconds to pressurise the entire system. An accumulator/PreOiling system would alleviate this tho. Moroso makes a good one but they are somewhat pricey, and it isnt likely to solve the overall problem. I would have the car Dynoed to see where your fuel mixture sits throughout the pull. It sounds to me like youare close to perfect on mixture in most conditions but that there is a small "hole" that allows your car to lean out in certain ranges of the rpm band. The dyno is the best way to settle that question, and in most cases an hour is right around $100, not including tune time. Just my own expensive observations.

It's VOLUME your needin'!!!

I like to Turn it up to 11...Nigel Tufnel...Spinal Tap
Old 06-17-2005, 05:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GTOJOE228:
Who can figure this? Drove the car to a show on Sunday. Had no traffic on the way to speak of and the temps were under 180. Upon leaving met with a slew of bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 mins. Temps were 190. Traffic cleared up and we were flying and temps went to 200+. Again got into the bumper to bumper stuff and the temps went down to 190. Started to clear and the temps climbed to 200. In bumper to bumper it seemed to run cooler???? Have a heavy duty fan clutch installed at present. Anyone get a bead on this? Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, I noticed my Firebird runs warmer at highway speeds since i removed the stock fan and installed a clutch fan. Cools fine in traffic though.