Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's crossed of my media list.

I know we've talked about it before Charles on the phone, but I didn't know ALL the particulars these 2 links are saying. A couple of guys here had their cars soda blasted and had no problems. But again, I don't know how they neutralised it or what type of primer they used. Best to stay away from it like you did.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, thanks for that on the 66 headrests. As for your seats, get with Legendary for seat covers to redo yours. They are the best...... PUI's suff is crap. I have a set of PUI covers on my buckets and they stink. No, they were on them when I bought the car. Hopefully later on this summer they be changed.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, check this out.... http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...ct.-FS-FT.html

Not sure if the price is a joke or what.... probably is tho. But you might be able to use some of it... just a thought.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Bill, check this out.... http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...ct.-FS-FT.html

Not sure if the price is a joke or what.... probably is tho. But you might be able to use some of it... just a thought.

Thanks for the link Gary I had actually talked to the guy 2 weeks ago, he wanted $3000 I told him $1500 and I would bring the trailer and check it out since he is a few hours south of me. Well he wouldn't go lower that $2500 so I'm letting him sit on it for awhile.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Well he wouldn't go lower that $2500 so I'm letting him sit on it for awhile.
Don't blame you one bit Bill. What's up with $1.00 under the picture? Seems to me he's trying to sucker people in to bite on it. And I didn't see anything that says Auction.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Don't blame you one bit Bill. What's up with $1.00 under the picture? Seems to me he's trying to sucker people in to bite on it. And I didn't see anything that says Auction.
Basically he wants to go drag racing but with a smaller car he said. He is hoping someone will be willing to trade. When I first saw the ad it was on craigslist and he had it listed for $3000 so this is something new with the $1 thing. I think he is going to have a hard time selling it since he chopped up the frame like he did.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I think he is going to have a hard time selling it since he chopped up the frame like he did.
My sentiments exactly.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Senior Chief

Well I made a little bit of progress this week on the chassis. I got the front disc brake conversion on, still need to mount the calipers. A disappointing thing about this kit was the upper spindle bolt wasn't included in the kit, and the nut that holds the rotors in place on the spindle was a coarse thread and I needed a fine thread. Luckily the nuts from the drum brake spindles worked. The upper spindle bolt didn't work as the drum version was a 1/2" and I ended up needing a 18x5/8"x1".

This bolt gauge has come in really handy on this project, probably the best $5 spent so far. The books are really helpful too but I had those from my last 66

Why not enjoy a 60's beer while working on my 60's car They just re-released the "tall boy" cans of Schlitz!!

Next up I need to decide on an exhaust. I'm going with either the Magnaflow or Pypes system.... Anyone have experience with either one? I'm also debating about putting the engine back in as-is now like I was going to do at first. I'm thinking I will end up getting it rebuilt, I thought I would try to find a correct 389 someday but I'm fine with the 400 I have. If I do have the engine redone I'm shooting for a streetable 400-450hp. Any recommendations for a Pontiac engine builder close to the Milwaukee WI area?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Looking Good-- especially the 'Tall Boy"

Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Thats Milwaukee finest. What is the book under the shop manual, Great pics again.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking disc brake setup Bill.

ND, from what I can read on it..... Pontiac GTO Restoration Guide 1964-1970.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah the book is the gto restoration guide. I've had it for a long time. I think its the 1st edition of this same book

Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Next up I need to decide on an exhaust. I'm going with either the Magnaflow or Pypes system.... Anyone have experience with either one? I'm also debating about putting the engine back in as-is now like I was going to do at first. I'm thinking I will end up getting it rebuilt, I thought I would try to find a correct 389 someday but I'm fine with the 400 I have. If I do have the engine redone I'm shooting for a streetable 400-450hp. Any recommendations for a Pontiac engine builder close to the Milwaukee WI area?

I have the 2.5" Magnaflow system on my car. It fits great & looks great. It doesn't sound great. Sounds like a stock GTO. The mufflers are too quiet IMHO. I figure when I build a bigger motor for mine, it may sound OK. I don't want obnoxiously loud, just a nice muscular tone.

You should at least clean the motor up & paint it, to look good in the clean chassis.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Chief

I put on flowmasters and I love the sound.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
You should at least clean the motor up & paint it, to look good in the clean chassis.
That was the minimum plan at least, I spent alot of time this weekend degreasing, wire brushing, scraping and detailing the engine. A few rattle cans of paint and it turned out pretty good I think. I'm going to be replacing the water pump and probably get a gasket kit for it and call it good for this year. Maybe during the winter I will tear it down to get some power out of it. Its a 1973 400 with 6x-4 heads built in 1976.

Here is the before and after.

The intake and valve covers are at the sandblaster so those will be back on Friday. Also was able to get the front steering linkage put on yesterday. I just keep chipping away at it hopefully will be back on the road in about 1 - 1.5 months.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good Bill. A little paint always brightens the day. When she's done and you post photos, I'm going to grab one to put on the wall. It'll remind me of the one I wrecked back in 71. I've even thought a bit about repainting mine Marina Turquois, but that'll be down the road if I do. Money's tight so I'll be staying red for a while longer.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Gary, thats really nice to say. I take it you don't have any pictures of your old 66? Reds a good color though too, can't go wrong with red!!

Anytime I've done a project weather its around the house or a car I always wish I would have taken more pictures. I'm trying to take as many as I can this time.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Well I just placed a big order for all the rest of my parts to get the chassis back together, I can't wait for it all to arrive.

Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust and downpipes
Stainless steel E-brake cable set
Complete Engine overhaul gasket set
Engine Mounts
Trans mount
Trans Crossmember insulators
Rear spring insulators
Rear end bumpers
High perf water pump
Rear diff gasket
U joints
Steering coupler
4 Additional body mounts the kit I ordered only had 10 instead of 14???
Another set of rear springs because I ordered the wrong ones the first time

I think that covers it all. I cant wait to drive this soon

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 04-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I've looked for pictures of the 66 I had in 1970-71 and can't find any here at the house. I think my mom had some but seeing she's passed on my half brother has more than likely destroyed them. I was supposed to get all the photos she had but the little prick won't give them up. Sorry about that, but he's is of that type.

I had found a photo of the 66 Tempest I had in 73 but now i can't find it. Still looking tho.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Bill, I've looked for pictures of the 66 I had in 1970-71 and can't find any here at the house. I think my mom had some but seeing she's passed on my half brother has more than likely destroyed them. I was supposed to get all the photos she had but the little prick won't give them up. Sorry about that, but he's is of that type.

I had found a photo of the 66 Tempest I had in 73 but now i can't find it. Still looking tho.
I'm sorry to hear this, that is unfortunate that he has to be that way. Sorry for your loss too. I am going to find my pics of my old 66 from when I was 16 and I will put it in here. If you find your tempest pic post it up

Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

Got some work done on the car today, little things like painting the rear axle cover bolts, replacing the steering rag joint, transmission crossmember installed, new set of rear springs again with new rubber insulators, and running stainless brake and fuel lines. I think I got the routing correct but it was really hard to see the pictures in the restoration guide so I had to guess. If they are wrong let me know thanks. And on Thursday I ordered my new wheels and tires so that will be exciting for those to come, but its a few week wait because they have to be built.