Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I made a few diagrams to illustrate the problem.

Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Driveline_angles.pdf (101.2 KB, 55 views)

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been driving my car the past few days and the vibration drives me nuts! The faster the car is going the worse the vibration, it is not a wheel vibration, I have had numerous wheels on the car ranging from 14" rally II's to 18" aluminum wheels nothing changes. While cruising the car vibrates and then when you hit a bump in the road it shakes harder then settles back in where it was. At 75 MPH the motor is turning about 3000 to 3200 RPM. The mirror vibrates so bad you can’t identify the car behind you. This car has done this since I have completed the restoration in 85 and have made a lot of changes to the car over the years but nothing seams to change this problem. How do you measure drive line angle? What does a drive shaft like you are using cost? I am very interested in this set up. My car is a 70 GTO Convert that currently has a 400/400 with a 3:55 12 bolt rear. I have a new 455 in the works for it to be installed later this year I hope.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I have been driving my car the past few days and the vibration drives me nuts! The faster the car is going the worse the vibration, it is not a wheel vibration, I have had numerous wheels on the car ranging from 14" rally II's to 18" aluminum wheels nothing changes. While cruising the car vibrates and then when you hit a bump in the road it shakes harder then settles back in where it was. At 75 MPH the motor is turning about 3000 to 3200 RPM. The mirror vibrates so bad you can’t identify the car behind you. This car has done this since I have completed the restoration in 85 and have made a lot of changes to the car over the years but nothing seams to change this problem. How do you measure drive line angle? What does a drive shaft like you are using cost? I am very interested in this set up. My car is a 70 GTO Convert that currently has a 400/400 with a 3:55 12 bolt rear. I have a new 455 in the works for it to be installed later this year I hope.
All of the symptoms that you describe are exactly what I experienced for years. I've attached a very informative pdf that was published by Spicer. It outlines how to measure the driveline angles. I use a digital angle finder that I purchased at Home Depot. Give Frank at the Driveshaft Shop a call and he can go over the various options and prices of the CV driveshaft.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

http://www.pro-touring.com/~andrewb/...11-1-HVTSS.pdf

I just checked their website and it looks like they are on vacation until July 11th.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."