Old 05-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Menace View Post
Alright al the parts are here. You guys might laugh at me for asking this, but can I mount the cab on the intake manifold, and then install the manifold? This saves me from leaning over the engine bay for two installs instead of 1
Gee, I know just how you feel. It's not that I'm lazy but after back problems and back surgery I now use my cherry picker to install heads and intakes and the days of laying on my back doing a trans or a starter are over as I finally broke down and bought two lifts. Anytime you can make the job easier.....DO IT!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hate to ask this, but I have no idea what the gaskets on the bottom row are for. Sure I know the one is the manifold to water pump gasket as we mentioned, but the next 5...I have no clue.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I hate to ask this, but I have no idea what the gaskets on the bottom row are for. Sure I know the one is the manifold to water pump gasket as we mentioned, but the next 5...I have no clue.

The two solid gaskets are for blocking off the center exhaust crossover, kind of a half-assed way of doing it in my opinion as they'll burn through in no time. To properly block off the hot exhaust gases you need a stainless steel shim or thin plate.

The two others with the holes are for an open crossover, like how one piece factory gaskets come (however you have a two piece aftermarket gasket set). The last one I'm not sure.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The two solid gaskets are for blocking off the center exhaust crossover, kind of a half-assed way of doing it in my opinion as they'll burn through in no time. To properly block off the hot exhaust gases you need a stainless steel shim or thin plate.

The two others with the holes are for an open crossover, like how one piece factory gaskets come (however you have a two piece aftermarket gasket set). The last one I'm not sure.

So pretty much the top two manifold gaskets and the o-ring are relevant to me

Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So pretty much the top two manifold gaskets and the o-ring are relevant to me
You absolutely need the two lower gaskets with the holes too, otherwise you'll have a huge exhaust crossover leak.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I really regret pulling this intake off now. I have watched video upon video and not once did i see any mention of those two gaskets.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I really regret pulling this intake off now. I have watched video upon video and not once did i see any mention of those two gaskets.
That's because you bought aftermarket gaskets that are two piece instead of factory-style one piece gaskets.

No big deal.

Git 'er done.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That's because you bought aftermarket gaskets that are two piece instead of factory-style one piece gaskets.

No big deal.

Git 'er done.
so they DO go on top of the main intake gaskets. Correct?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM

They nest inside the center cutout, they don't go on top of the gasket.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
thanks for the picture. Shows what I know...I would have thought the gasket would leak for sure being two different heights.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Aaaaaaaand, I have a vacuum leak at the passenger side rear portion of the intake. Once it comes back from the paint job, I will remove the intake again and re-install it. If that doesn't work I will install the factory intake.

On a good note, the car started like a gem with the new carb on. Two steps forward, but one step back

Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, now that the car is almost finished and going to come home this week, I figured I should look into this further because this will likely give me the most headache of anything I need to finish (I want to get everything done so I can get the provincial inspection done and then to a car show on Aug 8).

So I ended up having a vacuum leak at the intake on the rear passenger area. I am just going by memory but I only did the gasket sealer on the water jackets and the exhaust. I cleaned up the area to the best of my ability and laid it down, waited a few minutes and then placed the intake on top. I then tightened them to the specs that edelbrock says too. The weather was cold that day, so could that have something to do with it or is it user error?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok, so now that I am ready to get back to action I bought a new set of gaskets from Napa. I figured since I messed up the edelbrock gaskets I should try something different. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these orange baby circumcision things are in the fel-pro intake gaskets that I bought

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1407043997
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140802_133236.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	372120  

Old 08-03-2014, 02:34 AM

They're gasket retainers.

You only use them when installing a factory intake that has counterbores machined around each of the bolt holes ,you don't use them if you're installing an aftermarket intake.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
They're gasket retainers.

You only use them when installing a factory intake that has counterbores machined around each of the bolt holes ,you don't use them if you're installing an aftermarket intake.
Thanks....preparing for round 2

Old 07-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Alright guys...sorry for digging up my old threads but I thought it is better to continue on with this instead of starting another.

Anyway, I drove the car last week and it drives pretty damn good once you get about 10 mph or faster. If I don't start off really slow from a start there is a "pop" and the motor possibly stalls. My mechanic friend was adamant that it was a warped Edelbrock intake, but in fact it is a vacuum leak at the rear of the carb.

I have the Edelbrock 2156 manifold: http://edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/m...ds/sb/2156.jpg

followed by the an open bore carb gasket

Followed by an Edelbrock adapter plate: http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVDHR/E...1_20090216.jpg

Followed by an open bore carb casket

Followed by an Edelbrock 1046 carb: http://edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/c...rs/sb/1406.jpg

Now I am wondering if the leak would be caused by the fact back part of the manifold where the carb bolts go, you see that the carb gasket wouldn't touch down on the full area of the manifold. Sorry for the bad description, but I mean where the two rear cab bolts go, they aren't part of the carb area. It doesn't make sense Edelbrock would make this faulty like this, so I am assuming I am missing something here.