THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Way on back i mentioned some baseball shin-guards for this stuff. lol
Good find on those Oregon pieces, something to consider.

Can also check on Motocross/DirtBike style shin-guards.
Think i still have mine.
Know i still have my alpine star MX boots and was going to use them for brush cutting, but bought some other boots to use instead.
11" Wellington style leather boots with steel toes and vibram oversewn on the tops.

So at the end of the cut - it kicked the fresh cut piece back at you ?
Did the piece fall on top of the spinning blade and that made it throw it ?

That was an unusual offering on the "used" GW 80v trimmer from Amazon.
Maybe it won't really be used at all - or very very little.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...So at the end of the cut - it kicked the fresh cut piece back at you ?
Did the piece fall on top of the spinning blade and that made it throw it ?..."

Apparently so. Obviously, if it had been the whole tree/bush, it would have only kicked it back a short distance, But, these were stumps of some that I'd cut off high, in a previous session, with a chainsaw. Was using the blade to cut the stumps close to the ground/gravel. Next time, I'll try to remember to cut those kind, on the 3 o'clock side of the blade, if it's spinning CCW. That way it'll kick the stumps away from me. And, when I do that, I'll also prepare for a possible kickback. Gonna try to get all my brush cutters equipped with a J-bar, & make sure I turn so that my left leg is close to it, & will catch the kickback.

The brush cutter attachments come with a J-bar. But, I'll have to buy a J-bar for those I convert from string trimmer to brush cutter. So far, these are the only j-bars I've found that come with a mounting clamp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-A0813...EAAOSwXmRfdVhz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-trimm...IAAOSw5ulf4RVW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-J-Han...AAAOSwlddcm91U

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-J-Han...gAAOSwm2JgEcVY

I did find new J-bars without clamps, as well as the top & bottom clamp parts, separately.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/to...-p-289291.html

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bo...-p-289292.html

With shipping, that clamp is about $12 + tax. But that's cheaper than a used J-bar & clamp from Ebay.

I suppose I could use the top handle, but buy the 2 clamp parts & just add a piece of straight tubing, just to catch the leg, in case of kickback. I reckin a piece of PVC pipe would work just fine. A piece that short is definitely not gonna break. A quick check shows that 3/4" PVC pipe has a 1.050 OD. That should work just fine with the J-bar clamp.

Here's some cheaper clamps that might work. They're REAL cheap if you wanna buy from Ebay & wait for 'em to get here from China.

https://www.amazon.com/FI-parts-Brac.../dp/B07559XB7X

https://www.amazon.com/Strimmer-Alum.../dp/B07YQLB3F3

While looking for J-bars, I ran across this shoulder strap clamp. But it ain't cheap. Costs more than the cheap strap/clamp assemblies. Still think I'm gonna make one using a hose clamp & key ring. Don't see why it won't work good & will be cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Trimmer-Repla...1842761&sr=8-6

"...That was an unusual offering on the "used" GW 80v trimmer from Amazon.
Maybe it won't really be used at all - or very very little."

They actually had 3 of 'em listed as used. Just checked that listing again. It has changed. They now have one listed for $98. Doesn't say anything about it being used. 2 are still listed as used, but both are now over $100. Doesn't make sense that the cheaper one would be new, but the used ones would cost more.

Anyhow, I'll know what they send me, early next week.

Here's one called "renewed", for $104.60 + tax. Looks like Amazon has plenty of this model, in various conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VXTKDBL...cr_wdg_tit_rfb

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-28-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Correction !

I suppose I just never really paid close enuff attention to notice it.

But, after looking at the J-bar that was enclosed with the Trimmer Plus brush attachment, I see that it has a smaller OD than the trimmer tubing. Looks to be only about 3/4" or so.

Just went outside to check. I have an old junked push lawn mower, who's handles are made of tubing that is just a hair over 3/4". A piece of that tubing should work just fine with one of the handle mounting clamps I linked.

OR, 1/2" PVC pipe has an OD of .840. That should be close enuff to work. Should be light & cheap. May have a piece.

Anybody know of a cheaper way to secure a bar to the trimmer than buying one of the mounts I linked ?

Right off, I can't think of any other way to secure it, at a 90° angle to the trimmer.

I suppose I might could cut a piece of the lawn mower handle, where it makes a 90° turn, then clamp the short end to the trimmer. But would need to rig it up so that the long end would not move vertically. Would have to think on that a while. Will probably just buy one of the clamps made for that purpose, & use a piece of straight tubing or PVC pipe.

Just remembered this video. This guy put a Ryobi brush attachment on a mid-motor Ryobi trimmer. He left the reg handle on the trimmer & put the J-bar on the attachment tube, too far away from the operator to do any good. That far down, I'd say the J-bar serves no purpose at all. If I were gonna use both, I'd attach the J-bar as close to the reg handle as possible, so it could hit my leg in case of a kickback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_stTFFVXXc

Now here's a good idea. A video shows a straight bar attached to the left side of the reg handle. Will have to check out my handles & see if that's possible. Will probably have to be a certain kind of handle for that to work.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-28-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it's Christmas again
CoronaCheck600 came today - the mailman even came 2 hours earlier than normal.
And it snowed a little bit early this AM
So a White Christmas with a little Green on the side

I looked up those GW 80v trimmers late last night and found those various offerings.
98 , 101 , 101 , 104 all with various descriptions and various packaging.
90 day warranty
Probably are all still new, with minor handling/transit damage.
Then $127 for new with full warranty , $350 with batt&charger

Here is another strap mount/clamp for $10 on Amazon
26mm or 28mm
https://www.amazon.com/Weed-Eater-Tr...7D2F8XVR&psc=1

eBay has those for $20 -- or $2 from China19

Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Here is another strap mount/clamp for $10 on Amazon..."

Yeah, I saw that one. But I couldn't figure any way to get that main part on the upper tube. It doesn't appear to come open. And I didn't see a way to get the attachment mechanism off the tube. Might be easy & I just don;t know how.

Still haven't tried my hose clamp & key ring deal. But I will.

Glad your $600 check finally came.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Konked Out

Well, I decided to take Big Blue out for a spin today. Went over to the rock pile I mentioned previously. Decided to cut everything near the rock pile, that was small enuff for Big Blue to cut.

At first, the motor didn't seem to want to turn. It would just sorta "bump" but would not continue to rotate the blade. But after I pulled the trigger as few more times. it finally began to work. Worked just fine after that. Every time the blade would get stopped suddenly, it would take several seconds, before it would restart. But, it did restart, every time. Ran good. Cut great, 'til the blade got dull. Another blade I won't buy again. It is the Renegade 1 blade. I forgot how many teeth. 60 maybe ?

When I got back home I replaced the hex nut that was holding the blade on, with a new gold colored flange nut that came today. Decided to pull the trigger & make sure I got the blade back on right. The motor bumped a couple of times, then wouldn't make a sound after that. The batt has 3 bars. I wiggled it & pulled it in & out a few times. Made no difference. I assume there is some kind of short or other electrical malfunction.

Anyhow, I've only had it about a week. And as far as I'm concerned, it's useless. So, I sent this Email to the Ebay seller. Here we go again !

" When I received this item, the top of the motor was sticking out of a hole in the box. The other end of the box was also damaged. When I opened the box I could see that there was no packing material used, at all. But, all the parts seems to be in the box, & nothing looked damaged. I have pics of all this, which I made at that time.

When I put it all, together & put in a batt, at first the motor would just "bump" a little, like it was trying to start, but would not continue to turn the string head. After doing this for quite a while. It finally began to, most every time I pulled the trigger. Then after the motor warmed up, it seemed to work as it should.

Well, I took it out today & used it a little. Didn't want to turn at first. But after it did turn enuff to warm the motor up a bit, it seemed to work just fine. After it had cooled off & just before I put it away, I decided to try it again. The motor "bumped" a couple of times, but would not turn the head. Continued trying for several minutes. The battery is good & has 3 lights. I pulled the batt in & out several times, just to make sure it was getting a good connection.

So, obviously, there was a malfunction with this trimmer, from the time I received it. Therefore, I'm asking for a full refund, including shipping charges back to you, if you want it back. It's absolutely useless to me. Not gonna give you any bad reviews on Ebay. I just want a full refund, for a non working trimmer."

After my experience with the CA seller, I'm real interested in what this guy will do. The ad says buyer must pay return shipping. But, I assume that if the item is faulty, the seller has to pay return shipping. Is this correct ?

Hey, at least I have enuff trimmers now that I don't have to depend on just one. So, if I have to get Ebay involved again, & it takes a while, no problem. I'll just make another selection from my arsenal !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1 - Hole in Box .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	559676  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-28-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
to get that main part on the upper tube. It doesn't appear to come open.
Nope.
I need/want the "open apart" type mount to go over the shaft on the EGo too.

Found 2 nice padded straps that come WITH the special split-mount, earlier today by accident.
Amazon has the padded embroidered EGo for $20prime, instead of the $28-30 on eBay
https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AP1...1HPMQEXM&psc=1

HD has the padded Milwaukee for $22 with the split-mount
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2722/308653475

Those would be about same price as a good split-mount and a padded Stihl strap combined.

Quote:
if the item is faulty, the seller has to pay return shipping.
Is this correct ?
They don't HAVE to - but they should, when they send something that could be tested - or was said to be tested.
The "used" category gets more complicated.
eBay won't force them to cover return shipping.
But eBay "might" step up and cover it - if you go all the way to escalated judgement asking for it.
Hopefully he will be cool about it and cover it willingly.

PayPal offers 12 free returns per year if you purchased via their payment .
Need to check that out regardless , for future endeavors if nothing else.
It might not be pre-active if you are not already on that program. idunno how that works these days

Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...PayPal offers 12 free returns per year if you purchased via their payment..."

Thanks for that PayPal info ! I had no idea. I use PayPal for everything I buy on Ebay.

Just looked it up, & signed up for the free returns. They will pay up to 12, at a max of $30 each. Don't know if I can ship a box that big for under $30, or not. They also say that you can get a full refund from PayPal, after the item is returned. I'm guessing that there will be some static involved at that point. They will probably try everything they can to make the seller give the refund. And the responsibility for getting the seller to do that will probably be on the buyer. I figure they'll only do the refund AFTER all other avenues have been exhausted. Don't figure they'll just give the refund, then charge it to the sellers account.

I also bought the Square Deal protection, which MAY cover the actual tool cost, less shipping & tax. Don't know.

I think I can cancel that within the 1st 30 days. So, if the seller will give a full refund, I'll cancel that coverage & get my money back on that too.

Good price on the EGO strap & clamp. Will probably buy 'em. If they are great, then I may end up with that set-up on all our trimmers. Ready for the new administration to send out more plague money, so I can buy more trimmers & accessories !

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-29-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to try 1 of each strap - and return the lesser one.
HD also has a 2pk of the Milwaukee for $39 shipped.

Have only used the PayPal free return a few times in the past few years.
But it is sweet when you need it. Would be back-up coverage on an eBay return with an uncooperative seller.
Most of the sellers who will cover return shipping will have it stated on the listing where it tells whether or not they even accept returns.
My mother uses her 12 , Every Year

Old 01-29-2021, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

" I'm going to try 1 of each strap - and return the lesser one.
HD also has a 2pk of the Milwaukee for $39 shipped..."

They look real similar. May be the exact same strap & clamp, with only a different logo. So, let us know if one is any better than the other. If they're the same, I'll just buy the 2-pak.

PS: Just for kicks, I'll throw this in. The Lowes site shows that the mid-motor 80v Kobalt trimmer kit will be available in my area Lowes stores by Feb 8. Hope that's true. I'll definitely buy one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-V...luded/50394980

Old 01-29-2021, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both straps are supposed to deliver tomorrow . (warp speed)

Mid-Motor Kobalt (on my store) shows it could be picked up in store Feb 8 or home delivery Feb 8. I have doubts we will see any "in" the store as stock/inventory - but that would be nice.
Also noticed it comes equipped with a strap mount already installed.
It looks like the plastic mount i posted from Amazon @ $10
https://www.amazon.com/Weed-Eater-Tr...7D2F8XVR&psc=1

The GW, Kobalt, Snapper all share the same string trimmer head.
It looks fruity and gets bad reviews too (trimmer head).
But i'm not planning to use an 80-82v as a weed eater anyhow.
And I have several other lower shaft string trimmers with various trimmer heads i could swap out if needed later.
Mostly it would be a converted wood cutter and probably get a pole-saw attachment for it too.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Big Day Here !

A lot happened around our place today.

My Ebay rear motor 40v Kobalt kit came today, on a FedEx truck. Then my WEN dremel tool came on a UPS truck. Then 15 yards of SP2 Ark rock came on a dump truck.

While I was waiting on the dump truck, I put the Kobalt together. Everything looked brand new. The 4Ah batt had only 1 bar, so I put it on charge. Used one of my 2.5 Ah batts for the initial test. Everything worked just fine. The string cut grass just as it should.

Brought it back in & began the transformation into a brush cutter. It has a 10mm LH thread shaft & a 1" arbor. So, I put my newest Kurt blade on it. Was gonna use the cup washer that came in the kit I'd bought. But, apparently it is for use with a 20mm arbor.

So, for a blade hold-down I used the big piece that protects the nut. Sorry, I don't remember what they're called. Have seen guys use 'em on several videos. So, I suppose they work OK for that purpose.

Used the nut that came in the kit. Because the the nut fits down in the valley of the hold-down I used, neither a box end nor a crescent wrench will work. Had to use a socket. Had no idea what size the nut required. Went to the shop & tried a few. Turns out that both a 3/4" & a 19mm will fit. Assume they must be nearly the same. I used a deep 3/8 drive 3/4" socket that hasn't had much use. I'll just keep it in my trimmer tools/parts box.

Installed the guard, handle, J-bar, shoulder strap, 4Ah batt, & loaded it in the truck.

Got a call from the gravel guy, saying he was almost here. So, I met him over at the old rock pile. He dumped the 15 yards & was on his way. So, I put on my gloves & safety glasses & grabbed the new Kobalt.

Was expecting it to perform real similar to the Ryobi 40v. But, it didn't.

Have to pull the trigger more than once(sometimes several times) to get the blade turning. Once turning, it works great. It has a nice variable speed trigger, & 2 speeds. Didn't need Hi speed, at all.

If I let the blade come to a complete stop, sometimes it would require more than one trigger pull to get it turning again. So, I began to let off the trigger just enuff to keep the blade turning real slow, while moving to the next cut. Works great, doin it that way.

BUT, that leaves some to be desired. So, here is my assessment of the rear motor 40v Kobalt kit, as a brush cutter.

(1) The 4Ah batt is a big plus, & probably sells for more than I gave for the whole kit.

(2) The string attachment is absolute the best one I've bought, so far. It has the 10mm shaft, the 1" arbor, and a big guard, that should catch/deflect chunks like what hit my legs yesterday. Great attachment to make a brush cutter with.

Those 2 things alone make this a good buy, at a price not too much over $100.

Will probably put this Kobalt attachment on the brushless Ryobi. That combo should make a great brush cutter.

Might put a string head back on one of the 8mm shaft attachments, & put it on this Kobalt. Might also try some of the plastic blade heads. Some of those should whack some tuffer weeds than the strings will.

Will also try to rig up a bigger blade guard, for the Trimmer Plus attachment. That will give me 2 good 10mm shaft brush attachments.

Since I now have this info, I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for good buys on those Kobalt string attachments. I consider a new one worth just a tad more than a new Trimmer Plus, just because of the bigger string guard.

To cap my day, I got the Kioti & hauled some gravel to fill in some of the potholes & deep ruts in our dirt/gravel driveway-thru-the-woods. Probably hauled between 2/3 & 3/4 of the 15 yard pile. I think there's enuff left to fill in the biggest rut in the road, which I saved for last. Right now, it's probably at least 20 ft long & full of water. I think the rain is supposed to hold off til at least noon tomorrow. So, I should have plenty of time to fill the rut. Won't the UPS & FedEx drivers be surprised when they drive down our road next week ?

Have 10 pics. Will post 5 here & 5 in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1 - 40v Rear Motor .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	559751   Click image for larger version

Name:	K2 - Some Parts Still Bagged .jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	559752   Click image for larger version

Name:	K3 - Upper & Lower Assemblies .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	559753   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4 - Big Guard .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	559754   Click image for larger version

Name:	K5 - Handle .jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	559755  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-30-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 5 Mo

Forgot to mention that I used my Kobalt 40v 12" chainsaw to whack down the bigger stuff behind the rock pile. Mostly 3-5" stuff. Will probably use the bigger pieces to help build a fire at the Big House. May just use the Kioti to push the smaller stuff off into the edge of the bush line.

Five more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K6 - 4Ah .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	559756   Click image for larger version

Name:	K7 - J-bar .jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	559757   Click image for larger version

Name:	K8 - 10mm, 1 in. Arbor, Dust Sheild .jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	559758   Click image for larger version

Name:	K9 - Kurt, Hold-Down, Nut .jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	559759   Click image for larger version

Name:	K10 - Ready .jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	559760  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-30-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WEN 2305

30,000 rpm whizz kid.

Have some cutting discs ordered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W1 - Model 2305 .jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	559761   Click image for larger version

Name:	W2 - WEN Kit .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	559762   Click image for larger version

Name:	W3 - Inside the Box .jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	559763   Click image for larger version

Name:	W4 - Tool & Flex Shaft .jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	559764   Click image for larger version

Name:	W5 - 30,000 RPM .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	559765  

Old 01-30-2021, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you putting a brush cut blade on the WEN Tool ?

It's weird how some of the trimmers are so sensitive to initial load weight.
Guess its supposed to keep them from overloading the battery on initial take off .
Terrible how they choked that ECHO so much - overkill on that one.

My EGo would do it just on the first trigger pull of the day (not spin the blade) - but then that wouldn't happen again throughout the rest of the use.
Just the very first time of the day - each day.
That was using a big 10" Blade and a HEAVY Collar as a hold down cup washer.

After i removed the heavy collar and replaced it with a much much lighter cup washer (when they finally arrived), it doesn't do that anymore.
The collar weighed probably 4-6 ounces
I need to take all the blades and pieces and weigh them somewhere.

The 40v Kobalt might would be okay if you had a blade a little smaller and lighter.

The EGo strap from Amazon still shows to get delivered tomorrow.
The Milwaukee strap from HD probably won't make it unless it goes straight from Hagerstown,MD to the Fed-X hub in GSO,NC tonight.
It left MD about 9pm, so if that is a direct shot to GSO from there - it could happen.

Amazon keeps bumping up the prices on those bargain-buy GW 80v trimmers.
The cheapest one like you bought is sold out.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
(2) The string attachment is absolute the best one I've bought, so far. It has the 10mm shaft, the 1" arbor, and a big guard... Great attachment to make a brush cutter with.
That one does look good on the drive / hardware.
Hopefully the Mid-Motor 80v Kobalt has the same ingredients

Old 01-30-2021, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thinkin Out Loud

Just thinkin about the apparently very sensitive resistance sensors on these Kobalt trimmers.

Since Greenworks makes some of the Kobalt stuff, I'm wondering now if the 80v Greenworks I have ordered will suffer the same problem, when equipped with a brush blade.

I've watched videos & read about some of the attachment capable cordless trimmers operating a tiller attachment. I'm thinkin that should offer more resistance than starting a brush blade to spinning. And, how about an edger, with a metal blade ?

Here's an Echo running a tiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3T9VdeYsiQ

There are some videos showing Ryobi 40v power heads running a tiller.

Therefore, I can't understand why my 80v Kobalt front motor & Kobalt 40v rear motor have so much trouble just starting a brush blade turning. Don't make sense.

The Ebay seller said that a cold battery could have been the problem with the 80v Kobalt. With a room temp batt, it worked just fine with the string head, Fri morning in our kitchen. Didn't put a brush blade back on & try it. Will do that Sat morning. I looked it up & found that the batteries do indeed lose power when cold. Maybe that explains why the 80v ran the brush blade OK, when it was warm, but wouldn't turn it at all, after the batt got cold. Wasn't real cold. But it was probably down in the mid 40's.

The seller offered to send me a replacement 80v. Said they are a big Kobalt dealer & have over 100 of these. I told him that since they are a big Kobalt dealer they should have a rear motor Kobalt they could trade me. No reply to that yet.

Got an offer from a seller, to let me buy a 40v rear motor Kobalt tool only, for $59 + tax. After yesterday's experience, I decided to buy it, just for the string attachment. Ad says it's only been used once. So, it should be in good condition, if the seller is telling the truth. My total cost was $64.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-30-2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cold Batt - Warm Batt

"...The Ebay seller said that a cold battery could have been the problem with the 80v Kobalt. With a room temp batt, it worked just fine with the string head, Fri morning in our kitchen. Didn't put a brush blade back on & try it. Will do that Sat morning..."

So, this morning I put a brush blade back on the 80v Kobalt. Weighed the string head and the brush blade, with all it's mounting hardware. To my surprise, the string head was actual slightly heavier.

The inside temp was 72°. So, the batt temp was real close to that. Popped it into the Kobalt trimmer, & pulled the trigger. It worked perfectly, EVERY time I pulled the trigger. Couldn't have worked any better.

So, who would think that just a 20-25° lower temp batt would cause a trimmer to go from working perfectly, to NOT working, at all ?

Well, I decided to try the same thing on the 40v Kobalt rear motor. Didn't make any difference on that one. Still took from 2 to 4 trigger pulls before the blade continued to turn. I even broke out a hair dryer & warmed up both the batt & the motor. Made no difference, at all. Really lookin forward to seeing if the used one I have coming does exactly the same thing, or not.

Speakin of that one coming, I just got an Email directly from UPS, stating that the package has been shipped, along with the tracking number. Don't remember ever getting an Email directly from UPS, about an Ebay shipment.

And, speaking of shipments, while I was on the Kioti today, going back for another scoop of SP2 for our road/driveway, I met a FedEx truck, which was heading to our house to make a delivery. I stopped him & told him that I had some rocks piled up in the long rut, which I hadn't leveled off yet, so he'd better just give me the package & turn around.

While he was stopped, I ask him about Sat deliveries. Don't remember getting Sat deliveries in the past. What he told me was very interesting. He said that FedEx & the postal service had "merged" & that FedEx was trying to help them catch up with package deliveries. Said they are running 7 days a week now.

So, it's possible I could get some of my trimmer stuff delivered tomorrow, I assume. But, most of my stuff comes UPS or USPS.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ps/3299744001/

PS: While thinkin more about the 40v rear motor Kobalt workin fine with the string head, but having trouble with the brush blade, I figured that even at the same weight, or nearly the same, some of the weight of the blade is farther from it's center, than with the string head. So, it makes sense that it would take more torque to get the blade moving. This is further proven by how long the blades will continue to turn, after the trigger is released. On the front motor models, the blade continues to turn for quite a while, AFTER the trigger is released. Even at a similar weight, the string heads stop turning much quicker.

After what I've seen with the warm vs cold batt in the 80v Kobalt, I've decided to put a brush blade back on the front motor Echo I have & see if it makes a difference. Can't remember right now if the batt was warm or cold when I tested the Echo with a brush blade.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-30-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blade Guard

Was thinkin of how to add to the left side of the Trimmer Plus guard, so that it will catch, or at least deflect, the big chunks of wood that the blade kicks back at me.

The guard is metal, so I could bolt some sort of homemade extension to it. Just a flat piece of metal the right size, shape, & location, would probably work.

Decided to Google it & see what I could find. There are all sorts of universal guards that clamp to the 1" tube. Some are real cheap. Some ain't. Many are probably junk. But, I'm assuming some might actually be decent & work.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pla...72L3VGGL&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-390-280...01OK9V1E&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-P...kAAOxyrx5TlRpZ

At nearly $30, I'd be better off to buy another cheap Ebay Ryobi trimmer, which has a nice guard. So, don't think I'll be buying a $30 guard.

There are lots of used Ryobi RY40250/RY40006 tool only trimmers for $50 & less. Probably one of the best low budget string trimmer buys, according to my experience. Even better to get a kit with a 4Ah batt & charger, for about $100 or less. It could easily serve as your weed whacker & brush cutter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-Expan....c101195.m1851

If I didn't have a trimmer at all, needed a trimmer & brush cutter, know what I know now, & was on a real low budget, I'd go with a Ryobi rear motor brushless 40v trimmer kit. With the supplied string & plastic blade head, plus a good brush blade & mounting hardware, that rig should do all the weed whackin & brush cuttin a guy should need to do.

But, there are obviously bigger, more powerful rigs, that can use bigger blades & cut bigger stuff, quicker.

Here's a mid-motor Ryobi 40v power head. Haven't had one of those, yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40v-E...UAAOSwc1VgDJqN

Here's an Amazon "renewed" power head, for $65 + tax. 90 day warranty. 3-year protection plan for $10. Might try one of these, in the very near future. Come on Uncle Joe !

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Lithium...ag=googhydr-20

" 3 Year Lawn and Garden Extended Protection Plan
from Asurion, LLC

NO ADDITIONAL COST: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor and shipping included.
COVERAGE: Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer's warranty.
PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Plans cover products purchased in the last 30 days.
EASY CLAIMS PROCESS: File a claim anytime online or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. We will send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price of your covered product. In some cases, we will replace or repair it."

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-30-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man ,
i think we need a new inventory list to keep up with all your different test trimmers.
Can't keep up with what all ones you have now .

Quote:
At nearly $30, I'd be better off to buy another cheap Ebay Ryobi trimmer.

There are lots of used Ryobi RY40250/RY40006 tool only trimmers for $50 & less
That's true i have seen Used 40250's for $30-50 Delivered
New ones for 60-70 Delivered.

Can't beat eBay for scooping up good deals on mass produced merchandise , and finding these liquidators.

40250 is the BrushMotor , for the readers.
40270 iirc is the Brush-Less Motor
40220 iirc is the Mid-Motor BrushMotor

And like Ponyakr said - there's a lot of the 40v Ryobi stuff on the market right now
But i doubt anyone will beat his $50 Deal FULL KIT from California with Batt&Chrg.

Looks like Ryobi has a good Attachment Pole-Saw that includes 36"Extension Shaft for about $100
RYPRN33
That will work on the 40v Rybo's too