THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Suspended

There is a shop in town that is well known for fixing and selling wrecks. All their cars have salvage titles and they have buyers waiting because they sell them cheap. No, absolutely not for everybody, but if you're cheap, don't mind playing russian roulette and plan on junking it when you're done with it go for it as it certainly isn't for everybody.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reading some of the responses here makes me think there is some confusion as to why some cars are branded as salvage or rebuilt. It's not about the hobbyist or professional repairing or restoring a car. It's about the insurance $ide of it. Here is a good explanation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_title

Old 06-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The insurance is a whole different issue. Before I got a car with a salvage title I would check to see what kind of ins. I could get. My brother had volvo that was wrecked. Not a lot of damage but it was an older car and the loss was more than the value. He bought it back from the ins and had the repairs made. Car was like new again. He could not get full coverage ins. because it had already been totaled once.

Theres a guy down the street from me that does the rebuild wreck thing on mitsubishi's, and he always has cars available for a decent price. But like was mentioned, everyone around knows what he is selling.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
There is a shop in town that is well known for fixing and selling wrecks. All their cars have salvage titles and they have buyers waiting because they sell them cheap. No, absolutely not for everybody, but if you're cheap, don't mind playing russian roulette and plan on junking it when you're done with it go for it as it certainly isn't for everybody.
There's a dealership about 5 minutes away that only sells salvaged cars. He owns his own body shop too, so he's got all the bases covered. He usually has about 20 finished cars on the lot, and it's amazing how fast he turns inventory over.

I don't think they're a bad deal, as long as you recognize that the good deal you're getting at the purchase will also be reflected on your asking price when you go to sell it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 06-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Suspended

So.... All this proves is that there really is an ass for every seat if the price is right.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
So.... All this proves is that there really is an ass for every seat if the price is right.
My favorite saying!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 PM

a real flipper would revin that car... At swap meets youll see a old scrapper selling titles for 100-250$ for "collections" only. Wink wink..

The guy makes a tag... whammy new clean car. Obviously numbers wont match but a salvage title is worse than unmatched numbers. Yes its breaking the law. Ive never had to do it but i know plenty of people used to get Georgia titles, and other states that handed them out like candy for old cars.

Lets be honest, the car isn't affected by a wreck if the frame and everything else is replaced. You should always have a car inspected if you cant do it yourself...
In ohio they check for hidden vins, many states do. Stolen history etc but most know where these are.

A unibody wreck will probably be on a whole new donor body.

Your probably hosed, a salvage car brings much less. If you want to own and drive it, do it, who cares. Your kids might when your dead because it will bring less money.

Many people look at re-vinning like speeding... many look at it like your committing murder.

Many flippers do it on a daily basis because they make alot of money. Somehow these flood cars end up in your local corner car lot? They end in auctions with clean titles? So i understand some states getting crazy agressive. But these are classics, the should be treated a little differently...

Classics that have been fully restored should be able to have a salvage title removed. You should have professional inspectors and provide documentation thats its been restored to original condition. But the laws are there to stop scummy flippers and revins...

Old 06-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What 400 4spd. said. Check with your insurance company.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Take 50% off of the price.
Being in the automotive industry for over 40 years, this has been my experience as well. Especially on classic cars.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Arrow

Hey Fred,
I have the solution to your dilemma, I have an original matching numbers, original sheet metal, never wrecked, original paint 69 Firebird 350HO with a clean title.
Now, there are no worries about buying a car with a questionable title and it's going to go up in value you don't have to worry about being upside down into something with a dirty title.(under 30 cash, PM me)

71 GTO 455HO Nordic Silver
71 GTO 400 4SPD Tropical Lime
70 GTO Convert 400 4spd 3.90 rear
70 LeMans Sport 400
69 Firebird 350HO Carousel Red

Tom Miller

"Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean that it can't be done!!!"
Old 06-18-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Just curious. If I owned a car, free and clear, and it went through a flood, and I did the rebuild on it, why would the title change?
It is tracked through an insurance claim. If there is never a claim, no one will know