Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Ya know its funny, I must have 10 fully complete WS6 setups; backing plates, rotors calipers, cables, etc. and I wouldn't use any of it on a bet. The S10 setup is far superior!
LOL, that's why I'm trying to gather up this S-10 stuff, also...I worked on a 97 Riviera, here, in last month, it had the ratcheting caliper cluster..........had to replace both, couldn't get the old ones to cooperate.....you'd of thought ford invented them...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The parking brake cables from the S-10.
I'm looking to get the sections that attach to the parking brake mechanism itself (at the wheel) up to wherever that cable attaches? The inner cable itself only required?
You need the complete cables...
To remove them easily....
The front of driver side cable is attached to that sheet metal bracket that joins the two cables together (so that they are both pulled evenly to apply the E-brakes). You'll have to squeeze the fingers w/ pliers to get the front of the housing out of the bracket, then disconnect the drivers side inner cable (disconnecting the inner cable isn't hard, I forgot exactly how, though...)

The pass side cable comes off by removing all the brackets and guides surrounding or holding that specific cable. There is a small bracket the attaches to the diff. housing. Then just pull the whole pass side cable out....
Go as far forward as possible ( to get ahead of the piece that joins the furthest part of the inner cable, and cut in front of it (so that you can take that adjoining piece with you). A good set of dykes will cut the cable, but only a couple of strands at a tme.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The parking brake cables from the S-10.
I'm looking to get the sections that attach to the parking brake mechanism itself (at the wheel) up to wherever that cable attaches? The inner cable itself only required?
Yes just the guts, the cable itself, not the housing.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What booster/master cylinder options do I have that will work on an A body?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

179-2115 from A/C Delco. S10 rear disc parking brake rebuild kit. $54 delivered from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	361317  

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a few parts from Summit yesterday. Bendix rotors. Braided lines and random fittings for brake line attachment. Longer wheel studs. Backing plates.
I need to drop by Advance Auto and see about calipers, pads, fluid and a few misc parts. Advance offers loaded calipers with attachment brackets included, I may go that route. One of my junkyard brackets has a VERY nice gold finish. Shiney. The other is a rust bucket.
I'll also need a proportioning valve and some sort of booster/master cylinder.
Outlay to this point?
$54 for the parking brake rebuild kit.
$38.01 for my junkyard stuff. Calipers, caliper brackets and axle brackets.
$159.81 for Summit parts

Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 PM

I was going to add to your thread and suggest the parking brake rebuild kit for those going to the salvage yard, but you beat me to it. The shoes and other parts can wear and the price is quite reasonable. I got mine at Amazon as well for the same amount. Here is a pic of my assembled and painted backing plate unit:

I got the Wagner semi loaded calipers at Rock Auto. One of the brackets had the nice gold finish and the other was silver! Two bad I ordered a matching pair (left and right); but needed two lefts because of the staggered shocks (had to reorder). I painted the calipers and brackets with POR15 caliper paint. Here is a pic (left and right):

I got the flexible brake hose brackets and retainers at Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-683942
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-fhc01

I ordered two S10 parking brake cables; a long one and short one. I am going see if I can cross the long one over either on the axle or in front of the tank. That way, I get the cables off the exhaust.

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good Bob.
I'm not sure how I'm going to approach the parking brake cables. I suspect I'm going to get the hyd brakes working and then make a run back up to the Pull-A-Part and get some. Months off.........

Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just ordered these for a look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISC-BRAKE-S...dc31c8&vxp=mtr

Old 05-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, I called Advance to get some calipers/brackets coming. I get Matt on the phone. I give him my part numbers SLC628 and 629 and he punches them in. There is one at a store about 60 miles away and the other is all the way across town. The warehouse has none.
I could order some from Summit but I have to go through the whole core shipping thing.
Sigh.........

Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a Car Quest about a block up the street from my office. I generally don't call them because they run a little pricier than the Advance close to my house. I called CQ this morning and they actually had what I needed in stock and the pads.
Outlay to this point?
$54 for the parking brake rebuild kit.
$38.01 for my junkyard stuff. Calipers, caliper brackets and axle brackets.
$159.81 for Summit parts
$174.98 for rebuilt calipers with brackets and a set of ceramic pads @ Car Quest
$35.99 for eBay shims.
I'll need to buy a few bottles of brake fluid and also make a return run to Pull-A-Part for a parking brake cable. I will need ends put on the cable after I figure out a length. After I get the brake end of the deal working then a decision on a booster master cylinder will need to be made.
Even on "the cheap", this ain't cheap.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "kit".
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	547
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	364041  

Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Painted the axle brackets with some semi gloss Rust-oleum 2x Ultra Cover. Being the slave to accuracy that I am. I had it...... This is them hanging in the drying booth.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	510
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	365129  

Last edited by David Jones; 05-27-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David,
Who makes the shims, you bought???
Thanks
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Painted and looking good! You have most of the parts; it looks like you decided to go ahead sooner rather than later. Your parts cost is still less than mine. I think when this is installed, you are going to say it was well worth it.

I start next week. In addition to the brake upgrade, I am doing diff cleanup, painting and maintenance. I am now looking for a local company to weld the axle tubes. Here is what I purchased today:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1807A

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
David,
Who makes the shims, you bought???
Thanks
Jeff
S10 Warehouse Jeff. They run them on eBay constantly.
If I'm honest here, I'm not really sure how this shim thing works. Never having removed bolt in axles....or replaced drum brake backing plates with disc brackets, I'm not sure how this all works. I need to see how a space needing shimming is created by adding a thicker piece. Soon will see though..........

Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBob View Post
Painted and looking good! You have most of the parts; it looks like you decided to go ahead sooner rather than later. Your parts cost is still less than mine. I think when this is installed, you are going to say it was well worth it.

I start next week. In addition to the brake upgrade, I am doing diff cleanup, painting and maintenance. I am now looking for a local company to weld the axle tubes. Here is what I purchased today:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...rod=TA%5F1807A
Bob, I should have all of the rear end parts. The paint job completes the prep. I have a trade show that is going to consume most of the next two weeks. Hopefully by it's end I'll have decided when I want to do the brake swap. I think the rear end of the deal will be fairly straight forward. It's the probably need for a new booster/mc and prop valve that gives me pause. That's going to eat up a bit of time....time maybe better used up driving right now?

Probably start in about 3 weeks...............

Old 05-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
S10 Warehouse Jeff. They run them on eBay constantly.
If I'm honest here, I'm not really sure how this shim thing works. Never having removed bolt in axles....or replaced drum brake backing plates with disc brackets, I'm not sure how this all works. I need to see how a space needing shimming is created by adding a thicker piece. Soon will see though..........
The distance from the axle flange (where the rotor rides) to the housing flange (where the backing plates mounted, and the new caliper brackets will mount), may be different on your car than from what it was on the S-10 whatever...

The caliper moves as the pads wear, keeping the rotor centered over the rotor. IF, IF the caliper (installed w/o shims) isn't centered after some wear it could grind up either the inner or outer disc pad, if the rotor can't center it self. Not what you are going for...
You have to take in consideration the pad wear to make sure the caliper is still centered after the pads are wore all the way down...

It will be a little trial and error installing the axle, and caliper bracket, and caliper/rotor to make sure you have the spacing correct...nothing big, especially if you have the rear assy. out of the car..

I just got my buddies copy of Popular Hot Rodding. They wre installing a Baer rear disc setup on their 74 Chevy Laguna. The kit was like $1275.00 similar to what you are doing (and I hope to do also).

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you Jeff. I think I understand but until I actually put my hands on it there will be a question.
I did mock up the backing plate, parking brake mechanism, axle bracket and caliper and it's bracket. The parking brake rebuild kit came with the wrong screws. I believe I can clean the junkyard screws up. I also need to clean up the caliper bracket to axle bracket bolts. I'll need to buy new axle bracket to axle flange bolts once I come up with a length.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	365221  

Last edited by David Jones; 05-28-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a pretty involved project there David!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978