WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by disc0monkey:
and on the PT cruiser the thing is built poorly and the styling made everyone buy one. once people realized that it wasnt good mechanically that stopped buying it but the fad made tons of sales for years for chrystler.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great endorsement.

Build a lousy retro styled car that no one wants after they drive it.

The GTO was built for car enthusiasts that like cars that perform.

I think building a car that people actually enjoy driving is more important, and in the long term, more profitable.

My '64 GTO Convertible Webpage

The '49 Caddy Limo Page

The '72 Camaro Page
Old 01-24-2004, 04:54 PM
crazy ray

champ, since you like this car so much. and I am not saying you dont have a right to. have you ordered one yet?

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
------------------------------ Je suis blanc, age 18 a 55 ans. Tout le monde m'ecoute! Peu importe la stupidite de mes suggestions.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Champ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad B. Hilleband:
I don't happen to think th PT is a great car by any means. BUT, what I'm saying is the design was fresh and original and a lot of investment went into that car. It stood out and that's what I would expect GM designers would have done for the new "GTO"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if a lot of investment went into producing a new GTO that was uniquely styled but was grossly underpowered, had a poorly executed interior, provided a terrible ride, and got terrible gas mileage, you'd buy one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"But at least it is a car that is true to it's heritage in being a V-8 RWD performance car"

The key word to this comment is "at least", this means that the car dosen't meet expectations right? That what I say as well but the engine dosen't do it justice or override it's lack of style. In my opinion, not true to its great heritage....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand by my quote that you used.

I never said the car was the sexiest looking car out there, but my '64 isn't either. They both are typical of the styling of their era's.

I can live with that.

You claim the engine doesn't do it justice.

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but how many cars can actually beat it on the strip right off the showroom floor?

Not too many.

And yes, I know there are a few out there, and some of them are hi-tech 4 bangers. But try putting that hi-tech 4 banger into a car the same size as the GTO and see what happens.

I don't want to drive a 4 cylinder whizbang machine. Those that do, please go buy them and enjoy them.

I happen to like the sound and torque of a V-8 motor.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur...

I still am very interested in driving the 2004.

And even more interested in the 6 liter 400HP 2005.

http://kurtsplates.homestead.com/files/wisconsin.jpg

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Mi...64GTOConv.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/15849580xmGcRmPeoB/

http://community.webshots.com/album/...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, this one is long!!
Champ, the point is that IF GM put the time and investment into the new "GTO" it wouldn't be anything near what it is now. It would respresent the name plate well, new style and lots of power.

The 2004 "GTO" is just a way for GM to compete with the ricer market, S2000's, Acura's, Preludes etc... that are so popular today.

The car has no history, was not designed with history in mind and should not carry the GTO name plate. It's a discrace to the real cars that stood for something.

Brad

"It's the last thing I'll ever say, I promise"

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv
Old 01-24-2004, 06:04 PM
crazy ray

well put brad. just because its rear wheel drive and a v8 with gto badges.it doesnt carry any image of gto. hell gm stole the name once why not do it again.

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
------------------------------ Je suis blanc, age 18 a 55 ans. Tout le monde m'ecoute! Peu importe la stupidite de mes suggestions.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Iron Horse, your comments are uncalled for so I have no intention of responding to comments like those. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So who says my comments are called for? You? Are you one of those hollier then thou people? I could swear that you ARE responding to my comments. So looks like you just lied! So go ahead and NOT reply to the post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Talk without swear words, or is that too educated for you.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just alittle info brad, this is called typing, not talking. So I TYPE without swear words. Oh by the way, that's an old saying people tend to use about opinions... OPINIONS ARE LIKE BUTT HOLES, EVERYBODY HAS ONE! Better?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sorry I forgot most likely have only 8 years of education. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking (or typing I should type) of education, you might want to return to your elementary school and learn how to use completed sentences. That one just didn't make sense

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not the one who should SHHHHH, but then again, I'm sure your told this all the time, right Iron something?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Iron Horse! Get it right bradly! Iron Horse = American built motorcycle HARLEY-DAVIDSON! Then again you strike me as a person that rides those rice burners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Brad

"It's the last thing I'll ever say, I promise" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only are you a lier... you break promises too. lol

Don't bother replying to this post, you'd lose in a battle of words. Danny a.k.a. goathead does a much better job. lol
Old 01-24-2004, 08:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow, this one is long!!
Champ, the point is that IF GM put the time and investment into the new "GTO" it wouldn't be anything near what it is now. It would respresent the name plate well, new style and lots of power.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just wondering where you get your information from brad? How do you know FOR A FACT that the GTO wouldn't be the same as it is now if GM spent more time on this vehicle. Maybe a few extras would be included but other then that, the GTO would still be the same. I, like many others, feel that the new GTO represents the name plate very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The 2004 "GTO" is just a way for GM to compete with the ricer market, S2000's, Acura's, Preludes etc... that are so popular today. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the goal of every company? To compete with other companies. If I owned GM, I'd like my company to have a product out there that would compete with the other companies products. But I guess we would run our companies different... huh brad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The car has no history, was not designed with history in mind and should not carry the GTO name plate. It's a discrace to the real cars that stood for something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay brad, let me enlighten you on something. This new GTO does have a history. It just had a lapse of 30 years. And if you're refering to the styling, then that's something different. Any concept GTO would not have "the history" because it's a new style. Would you prefer the new GTO look exactly like the 1964 GTO? This GTO was designed with history in mind! A 350 HP, 365 pound of torqe, LS1 stuffed into a compact vehicle, RWD = 2004 GTO. At least to me that is the definition of a muscle car. Then me type that again... POWERFUL ENGINE IN A COMPACT CAR, RWD = MUSCLE CAR = THE 2004 PONTIAC GTO. Care to give me your definition of a TRUE MUSCLE CAR?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry oh' great chief Iron Horse, I should have assumed you were a biker. HD's are made overseas as far as I know, I try my best not to buy stuff from overseas (now that's american), and are ricer bikes in my opinion
Sorry, but dressing up in leather on a hot summer day and riding around at 70 without head protection explains my point about education and swearing

Don't really care if you are a Harley guy are not, by the way I hate the sound of those things, way to loud and un-tuned sounding. Like a big piece of crap... No wonder every other bike can smoke it. Then again I'm sure you know a lot about smoke now don't you.

Back to the subject and enough with the insults please.....

Bottom line is that the new "GTO" is a gimick, and designed to capture the ricer market. It has no style or power to speak of, unlike the orginal GTO as compared to that time in history. No thing special and the sales figures will show that fact about 6-12 months after it's release date. If they were smart limited production would be a good idea to milk out interest, otherwise, run it into a tree and bury it...that's where it belongs....

Brad

PHR Magazine Sept.'08
Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

iron horse thinks he is a big tough hd guy...hahahahahahaha ooo im scared ahahahah
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yea iron horse thats directed at u
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad B. Hilleband:
Sorry oh' great chief Iron Horse, I should have assumed you were a biker. HD's are made overseas as far as I know, I try my best not to buy stuff from overseas (now that's american), and are ricer bikes in my opinion
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears that you are just as knowledgeable about bikes as you are about cars...

Throwing insults about bikers and then making that ignorant statement causes you to lose any shred of credibility you ever had.

Which factory location would you like to tour?

This one isn't available to tour anymore, but there are three current ones.

Wauwatosa, Wi

Tour the facility where Sportster® and Buell® powertrains are manufactured and Screamin' Eagle performance parts and motorcycle replacement parts are produced. See how Harley-Davidson Evolution® and Twin Cam engines are remanufactured.

York, Pa

Journey through the facility that produces the Touring family of motorcycles and learn about the Company's Softail® models and Custom Vehicle Operations program.

or Kansas City, Mo

Get a behind-the-scenes look at the facility that produces the Sportster®, Dyna Glide and VRSC families of motorcycles. See a V-Rod® motorcycle produced in its entirety.

I'm no biker (never had one never will), but Harley Davidson is an American legend and Harley owners are the ones that created the term "ricer".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The car has no history, was not designed with history in mind and should not carry the GTO name plate. It's a discrace to the real cars that stood for something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With your demonstrated knowledge of history, I will give your opinion all the merit it deserves.

And with your knowledge of where things are manufactured, you probably think that your Motorola cell phone, your RCA TV and DVD player, and your General Electric microwave were all made in the United States....

Have a nice life.

The '49 Caddy Limo Page

The '72 Camaro Page

[This message was edited by The Champ on January 25, 2004 at 07:39 AM.]
Old 01-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

they still sound like untuned garbage, ill take a yamaha or honda anyday
Old 01-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by disc0monkey:
they still sound like untuned garbage, ill take a yamaha or honda anyday<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you ought to get rid of your Pontiac and buy a Japenese import. What do ya say?

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid sometimes, but you're abusing that privilege"

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 01-25-2004, 03:43 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sorry oh' great chief Iron Horse, I should have assumed you were a biker. HD's are made overseas as far as I know, I try my best not to buy stuff from overseas (now that's american), and are ricer bikes in my opinion
Sorry, but dressing up in leather on a hot summer day and riding around at 70 without head protection explains my point about education and swearing
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who says I'm a biker. I could be a dentist or doctor or in Law Enforcement for all you know. So just because somebody wears glasses, you call them a nerd? Stop being so judgemental. As far as your comments about the HD, re-read Mr. Champs post. (Thanks for the time saver Mr. Champ )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't really care if you are a Harley guy are not, by the way I hate the sound of those things, way to loud and un-tuned sounding. Like a big piece of crap... No wonder every other bike can smoke it. Then again I'm sure you know a lot about smoke now don't you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummmm Harley-Davidson's aren't about speed. They're about style. If I wanted speed then I'd sell my Harley-Davidson and buy me 4 or 5 rice burners. But of course I wouldn't expect you to know anything about style!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the subject and enough with the insults please.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fair enough.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bottom line is that the new "GTO" is a gimick, and designed to capture the ricer market. It has no style or power to speak of, unlike the orginal GTO as compared to that time in history. No thing special and the sales figures will show that fact about 6-12 months after it's release date. If they were smart limited production would be a good idea to milk out interest, otherwise, run it into a tree and bury it...that's where it belongs....

Brad
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bottom line is that the new GTO is Pontiac's way of bringing a true muscle car back on the streets. I ask you brad, are you a fortune teller? How do you know that the GTO's won't sell 6 - 12 months from now? Where are you getting this information? I would really like to see if for myself. Or is this an educated opinion of yours? One more question... have you ever driven a 2004 GTO? Or are you basing your opinion on a vehicle that you've never seen or driven before? Just curious.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nickv:
they still sound like untuned garbage, ill take a yamaha or honda anyday<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you ought to get rid of your Pontiac and buy a Japenese import. What do ya say?

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid sometimes, but you're abusing that privilege"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
what does pontiac have to do with Harleys...whats better is better. all i know is a have a kawasaki in my john deere. they must know
Old 01-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is Mr. Hilleband avoiding this thread.

He still is frequenting the 2004 forum and imparting his thoughts.

Can't understand his silence on this one though...

The '49 Caddy Limo Page

The '72 Camaro Page
Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No silence, the thread is too long, not going anywhere. I think the opinions on this thread have been made. I hold by what I said 100%, but for a slight moment in time I was going the other way....strange how that happens, but back to the main issue, this car is lamo.....

Brad

PHR Magazine Sept.'08
Old 01-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No silence, the thread is too long, not going anywhere. I think the opinions on this thread have been made. I hold by what I said 100%, but for a slight moment in time I was going the other way....strange how that happens, but back to the main issue, this car is lamo.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You took the time to look at this thread again, but claim that it's too long and not going anywhere.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense.

You may hold to some of your stated opinions, but we've seen how accurate your opinions are on this thread.

The car is not lamo as you claim, but your response is.

The '49 Caddy Limo Page

The '72 Camaro Page
Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, here we go again. Champ, this is an opinion board, get it? We make opinions. What's so great about scanning a HD brochure showing plants that are supposed to be in the U.S, never said they didn't have any in the U.S now did I

What makes your posts so great Champ, opinion just like mine, right Champ?

If you like the new "GTO" go buy one and stop all the speculation. Put your hard earned dollars in to a waste basket and burn it, it's the same thing. The new "GTO" is is pile, and C&R just made the same point. Fast production cycle, uncomfortable and lack of design. Gee, how many times have I heard that

Seems at least C&R and some other major analysts agree.

Do all us negative guys a favor, go buy one and let us know how great it is?

Brad

PHR Magazine Sept.'08
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 PM

Well, here we go again. Champ, this is an opinion board, get it? We make opinions. What's so great about scanning a HD brochure showing plants that are supposed to be in the U.S, never said they didn't have any in the U.S now did I

What makes your posts so great Champ, opinion just like mine, right Champ?

If you like the new "GTO" go buy one and stop all the speculation. Put your hard earned dollars in to a waste basket and burn it, it's the same thing. The new "GTO" is is pile, and C&R just made the same point. Fast production cycle, uncomfortable and lack of design. Gee, how many times have I heard that

Seems at least C&R and some other major analysts agree.

Do all us negative guys a favor, go buy one and let us know how great it is?

Brad

"It's the last thing I'll ever say, I promise"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I've been saying all along bradley, opinion are like assholes (opps excuse me)... buttholes, everybody has one. Some of them are starting to stink up the place. Not trying to start an internet war bradley but I've asked you SEVERAL times to back up your statements with facts. Thats what Mr. Champ did. He backed up his statement with fact in reference to the Harley-Davidson plants. You say it has a lame engine. How many vehicle can you buy with the same horse power and torque for around 34 grand? You say that this vehicle will be on the decline in 6 - 12 months? How do you know? Is this fact or fiction? And if it is indeed fact, please provide me with your factual references. Seems to me your eager to have this new GTO fail. Why? Because it's a sleek looking vehicle and not a "hey look at me, I look fast" look? I'm not sure if your a true muscle car man, woman, person (whatever)... but be glad theres a "TRUE MUSCLE CAR" out there. A V-8 high displacement engine stuffed into a compact car and RWD. And it even sounds like the 64 GTO to boot. Give me your definition of a "true muscle car" brad. And please spare me the, "it doesn't look like a muscle car" line. The 64 GTO was as plain looking as you can get. And that was the first "true muscle car" of the era. If you want we can have a contest. You find as many magazines as you can that give the new GTO a bad review. I can bet dollar to donuts that I'll find twice as many magazines that give it either a good or great review. Oh by the way, Car and Driver magazine gave it a great review in it's December 2003 issue. And bradley, I'm not bashing your or picking on you because of your views and opinions. But one thing I can't understand (and maybe you can explain it to me) that you give this GTO a bad review. But you haven't seen or driven it yet. Or have you? I've seen alot of threads/posts in reference to this new GTO on different forums. Here's what I've found so far. Many people like or love the new "GOAT". Many didn't like the new "GOAT" until they saw one in person or drove it. They say that the pictures didn't do it justice and it looked 100 time better in person. Then there's people that don't like the new "GOAT" and they still don't like it after they've seen it. But I've yet to come across a person that liked the new "GOAT" then after seeing it, change their minds. Here's an example taken off of a thread on newagegto.com:
(BTW this person that wrote this has a 69 GTO)
I know I don't post here much, but thought I'd drop in my 2 cents....Drove the goat down to check out the 04. As a lot of people, I thought it looked a lot like the grand am, but after seeing it first hand I know that I'm wrong. This car is a lot better looking in person than starring at pictures in magazines and the internet. In no way will anyone mistake the new GTO as a grand am. If anything (and this realy hurts to write this) it has more similariteis to a mustang than anything else. With that said, I'd probably buy one if I just hadn't bought a new truck. I guess I didn't have the faith to order one without seeing it first hand. I have a lot more other comments, but I'd just be repeating what others have said in here and in articles written, i.e.: the seats, getting in the back...... One other note, there were more people looking at my car than the new GTO ......just had to throw that one in there...

Again bradley, don't take my post to you as negative towards you. I'm just wondering how you can hate/dislike the new "GOAT" so much when you haven't even seen and/or driven it yet.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my father and i are so disgusted in the new gto i think we are selling ours, because of the deface of the gto name