Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Combine this with the billet timing cover you could have a very unique setup, especially since you can change the timing cover design in cad to match either en existing oil pan on the market or for a custom pan you fabricate. Since there is no rear oil seal and the pan is flat essentially you can put the pan bolt holes wherever you want for the oil pan, that opens the design possibilities quite a bit.

The bottom of the timing cover can now be flat if desired and mount flush to the main cage.

Last edited by GREATGTO; 12-15-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO View Post
Combine this with the billet timing cover you could have a very unique setup, especially since you can change the timing cover design in cad to match either en existing oil pan on the market or for a custom pan you fabricate. Since there is no rear oil seal and the pan is flat essentially you can put the pan bolt holes wherever you want for the oil pan, that opens the design possibilities quite a bit.

The bottom of the timing cover can now be flat if desired and mount flush to the main cage.

... we will make the cage bolt up to the stock timing cover, this way you wont have to buy a new cover when someone wants to puchase the cage ...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks awesome Bill, I'm sure Joe would be very proud of the work that Mary has put into the shop along with you and all the guys at the shop, good things come to those who put in the hard work and attention to detail. Congratulations! Now get to work on my SHORT DECK BILLET BLOCK! 0)

... yes, i think Joe would be proud of what is happening now in the shop ...

... what Short deck Billet block ?? ...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Your "billet cage" has a similar look to the mid-plate design used on the Northstar V-8, less the oiling passages. That design allowed that flimsy aluminum piece of crap to run 9000-9500 RPM's at 850-900 HP for hours in Indy 500 trim and 24 hours at a time for many victories in endurance racing. Great times are ahead for our Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. Keep up the good work. With the capabilities you guys have at your fingertips now, you are only limited by your imaginations! Congrats.

... thanks Mike, i agree with you though, i think this design will only make the Pontiac stronger ...

Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Bill- I'm confused. I assume you work for Mondello Racing Engines in Tennessee? Their website 'history' talks about Joe Mondello. But there's Mondello Performance in California, whose website also gives tribute to Joe Mondello. Whassup...??

Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Bill- I'm confused. I assume you work for Mondello Racing Engines in Tennessee? Their website 'history' talks about Joe Mondello. But there's Mondello Performance in California, whose website also gives tribute to Joe Mondello. Whassup...??

... you are correct Jack i work for Mondello Racing Engines in Tennessee, the place in California doesnt have anything to do with us anymore, Joe used to be partners with that business, but not since he moved to Tennessee ...

Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
the place in California doesnt have anything to do with us anymore, Joe used to be partners with that business, but not since he moved to Tennessee ...
Interesting info, what year did Joe make the move to Tennessee?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
Interesting info, what year did Joe make the move to Tennessee?

... 2005 ...

Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So this will enable the use of a flat oil pan seal as well correct? Cant wait to see one completed.
Yeah I was playin with some wood scraps...initially thinking girdle and cap halo... then looking at the scraps I layed out I realized it would be best as a one piece main cap/block skirt assembly...

at the front of the "cage" the piece can be shaped to fill the timing cover notch. Basically cut a std pan approx same depth as timing cover notch and the rear pan seal. Put a flat flange on it and call it a day. For those with belt drives the front could be trimmed off or cage could be made without the timing cover notch extension. I recently took a canton pan previously cut for belt drive and converted it back to std configuration. Not fun even if it came out nice. However I did get a good visual of how easy a flat pan rail mod would be.

Cage will definately add strength to any block, stock or aftermarket...even if it was cast ductile iron...however billet aluminum should also help absorb harmonics at high rpm and certainly save weight over iron. I would think cast ductile iron could cost less than billet aluminum IF enough demand and more than adequate for most applications.. either way Mondellos has the equipment to machine it simpler.

Cody and I were sharing thoughts on the main "cage" earlier this year. The Olds crowd needs this even more than we do.
I have a few other thoughts to pass on next time I stop up there.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
... you are correct Jack i work for Mondello Racing Engines in Tennessee, the place in California doesnt have anything to do with us anymore, Joe used to be partners with that business, but not since he moved to Tennessee ...
Sorry to belabor the point; I'm just trying to better understand this situation. I see that Mondello Technical School is also in Paso Robles, along with Mondello Performance Products. That is the school that Joe started, isn't it?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry to belabor the point; I'm just trying to better understand this situation. I see that Mondello Technical School is also in Paso Robles, along with Mondello Performance Products. That is the school that Joe started, isn't it?

... originally yes jack, but our shop & tech school has been moved to CrossVille,TN in 2005 ...

... the Mondello Parts Co. in CA is not connected to us (Mondello Racing Engines) in anyway now ...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jack,

Joe was in so many types of performance development and other businesses that required him to hire someone else to help him run MPP in California. Joe later sold 1/2 the company to Lynn Wilfringer, after Joe passed, the remainder of the company was to be sold to Lynn. I met Joe right when he started his shop in Crossville TN. California was way to expensive to house the type of shop he wanted and he felt being in the hot bed of motorsports in the south would help his business continue to grow.

MPP in California operated independent of Mondello Tech in TN, after Joe's passes, the school changed it's name to Joe Mondello Racing Engines.

Hope this helps.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420