THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Playin' some old 68 Fillmore Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield..... them cat's could play...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Sonics - Shot Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ys1nTdEjE

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Gotcha.

I'm pretty good at figuring a song in a split-second, and the clip reminded me to make a mental note of it because it's a good song that's not often played of the ones that they do play. Gotta hunt that one down...
Here you go - thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJVtv9LlK9Y

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I raise you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sni7sc7CxD4

Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or1dyvCgzMw

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default who???

boy, you can really date a guy by the music he likes. most of the groups & songs you guys have mentioned, i never heard of. my favorites were CCR with stuff like "down on the corner". mitch ryder & the detroit wheels with "good golly miss molly/devil with the blue dress on. & a lot of the motown stuff like "gonna wait til the midnight hour", "knock on wood", "when a man loves a woman"--the girls loved percy sledge--we bought the 8-track tape of percy's greatest hits & wore it out--cruisin & sippin suds in the ole musclecar parade--the 2nd one we bought, they'd changed the color to hot pink! also liked the motown girly groups, like the supremes, etc. loved Elvis stuff--still do--hated the beatles--especially after they really got on drugs bad & were associated with stuff like yellow submarines & sargent peppers lonely hearts club band. the wildest rock stuff i ever liked was jimmy hendrix--purple haze & etc.--never knew a guitar could make sounds like that. then i switched to country--conway twiddy "hello darling" & of course, freddy harts "easy lovin" cma's song of the year '71 & '72. i can't leave out all the old car & surfin songs by the beach boys, jan & dean, the ventures, ronnie & the daytonas--couldn't possibly leave out "little gto"! i guess for most of us music played a major role in our lives--maybe more than we realize. betcha can't guess how old i am by my music! LOL

Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Playin' some old 68 Fillmore Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield..... them cat's could play...
You must love that 1969 album SUPER SESSION here is my favorite cut. After a minute and a half it just takes off. It's pure surf music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Srl6ED2sA

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
boy, you can really date a guy by the music he likes. most of the groups & songs you guys have mentioned, i never heard of. my favorites were CCR with stuff like "down on the corner". mitch ryder & the detroit wheels with "good golly miss molly/devil with the blue dress on. & a lot of the motown stuff like "gonna wait til the midnight hour", "knock on wood", "when a man loves a woman"--the girls loved percy sledge--we bought the 8-track tape of percy's greatest hits & wore it out--cruisin & sippin suds in the ole musclecar parade--the 2nd one we bought, they'd changed the color to hot pink! also liked the motown girly groups, like the supremes, etc. loved Elvis stuff--still do--hated the beatles--especially after they really got on drugs bad & were associated with stuff like yellow submarines & sargent peppers lonely hearts club band. the wildest rock stuff i ever liked was jimmy hendrix--purple haze & etc.--never knew a guitar could make sounds like that. then i switched to country--conway twiddy "hello darling" & of course, freddy harts "easy lovin" cma's song of the year '71 & '72. i can't leave out all the old car & surfin songs by the beach boys, jan & dean, the ventures, ronnie & the daytonas--couldn't possibly leave out "little gto"! i guess for most of us music played a major role in our lives--maybe more than we realize. betcha can't guess how old i am by my music! LOL
Well that's just not true! Having heard just about and taking the best from my sisters generation ( 14 years older than me- she graduated from H/S in 1955 ) where I became interested in that era of Jazz like Dave Brubeck, Andre Previn, Henry Mancini etc.
I continued to the 90's where it seemed music became so segregated that there was no contemporary music stations. In the 30-70's contemporary stations played what we call billboard music. Meaning many popular styles from country, R&B, Jazz, Rock and Roll etc were all played by the same station. This gave great exposure to different kinds of music to all generations. For example it gave my parents exposure to the Beetles and me exposure to frank Sinatra. In 1964 Sinatra and the Beetle's both had # 1 hits in the same year and both were played on the same stations. This was great because it linked generations. Today it's so compartmentalized that depending what your into, your musical mind is in a vacuum. Most of the new stuff today I can't get into-there just seems like there is not enough good material.
So in my quest for new material I decided to look for material from the 30's & 40's or my parents generation..... In those two decades there is a treasure trove of music. When I say it's not true, I mean many people I know are looking into the past, and if your as old as me that means way past. You'll be surprised by what you'll find.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the old stuff

my mother-in-law is 96 & lives with us now. she loves lawrence welk. so i've watched many episodes that i missed growin up--wouldn't have thought of watchin it when i was younger. some of the big band stuff ain't so bad. but sometimes i have to laugh at the way they took the popular songs of the day & made them sound so smoooooth--you could barely recognize the song from their interpretation of it. but i suppose many of the old rock-n-roll & pop stuff would have offended a lot of the shows faithful fans, if presented in their original form. back then you had 2 watch the ed sullivan show 2 see the real thing--or maybe american bandstand w/dick clark. i do like watchin some of the old dances--like the charleston--& those girls from the roarin '20's with their short dresses, complete with fringe & beads. i guess every generation has its own music--some good--some not so good. it just depends on the ear of the listener. personally--i depise rap & hip hop --especially the really fowl mouth stuff--but some folks don't listen 2 anything else. we like different flavors, different colors, different cars, etc., & different music.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
my mother-in-law is 96 & lives with us now. she loves lawrence welk. so i've watched many episodes that i missed growin up--wouldn't have thought of watchin it when i was younger. some of the big band stuff ain't so bad. but sometimes i have to laugh at the way they took the popular songs of the day & made them sound so smoooooth--you could barely recognize the song from their interpretation of it. but i suppose many of the old rock-n-roll & pop stuff would have offended a lot of the shows faithful fans, if presented in their original form. back then you had 2 watch the ed sullivan show 2 see the real thing--or maybe american bandstand w/dick clark. i do like watchin some of the old dances--like the charleston--& those girls from the roarin '20's with their short dresses, complete with fringe & beads. i guess every generation has its own music--some good--some not so good. it just depends on the ear of the listener. personally--i depise rap & hip hop --especially the really fowl mouth stuff--but some folks don't listen 2 anything else. we like different flavors, different colors, different cars, etc., & different music.
I know what you mean concerning what Welk did to some of the popular songs of the day,
These days there are guys like Steve Tyrell, and Rod Stewart who have decided to do songs out of the Great American Songbook ( Standards ). Problem is guys like Stewart don't have the voice capabilities to do those songs. There are exceptions such as Linda Ronstadt, when coupled and schooled by Nelson Riddle to do a trio of albums of standards from the 30's and 40's was really well done.

Just remember that songs like Harry Warren's " I only have eyes for you " by the Flamingos in 1959 was a popular song of 1934 where Dick Powell sang it in the movie "Dames". I remember in 59 when the Flamingos version came out and my mom saying she danced to it with my father when they were dating in 1935.
Another popular song of 1960 was a song by " The Chimes " called
"Once in A While", written in the doo- wop style, but it was written by Edwards in 1937 and a hit for Tommy Dorsey in 1937, later in 1952 by Patti Page.
The main problems of today's rock singers Like Rod Stewart trying to sing old standards is because of the type of singing they did and not being properly trained in voice, they just destroyed their vocal chords.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm big into Pink Floyd. I listen to this one when I'm in my office at night or on the weekends. Interruptions suck when the tunes are good. Live in Venice, 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxzaBSzlH0

Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Did you know the song now that I narrowed it down? Or you had to look it up?
An app for my phone (android) called "shazam". When you hear a song you like, open the app and push the button. It's fast. It found the "Stay" by David Bowie in less than 2 seconds. The app is free.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
You must love that 1969 album SUPER SESSION here is my favorite cut. After a minute and a half it just takes off. It's pure surf music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Srl6ED2sA
Great stuff on that album too. I just got a great condition vinyl of the Kooper and Bloomfield Fillmore west double album, 1968. Santana and Elvin Bishop guest on two songs.

Here is two of the best togethor, Johnny Winter and Mike Bloomfield, yowza.... Fillmore East Dec 68.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Me-CrOVdnA

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default old & older

the 1st record player i used at home was an rca victor that played nothing but 78's. then somewhere in the 50's i suppose it was we got 1 that would play the 45 singles & 33 albums. it was on 1 of these small portables that we rocked, twisted & partied our way thru the rock-n-roll & musclecar era of the 60's & early "70's. i didn't find out until recent years that many of my favorite songs from the '60's were actually remakes of songs from the '50s or earlier. sometimes i listen 2 the dish network ch 6005 & 6006 when i wanna here those oldies--& i can't leave out ch 6019--cause its all elvis 24/7. love 2 hear the oldies playin over the pa system at the local car shows--musclecars & oldies just fit together perfectly--if you were there when it happened!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default a little spice anyone?

back around '91 or '92 i was drivin a truck 1 nite, pullin a load of chips to a paper mill. it was on a lonely stretch of road with no traffic but me. i decided 2 scan the radio dial 2 see what i could find. i found a real lively tune so i began 2 listen, but i couldn't make out what they were singin--soon figured out that they weren't singing in english. but tho i didn't understand a word--the sound & rythm of the music was so good i just couldn't turn it off. then my route turned north & the station faded out--it was 1 of those that you can only pick up at nite unless you are close 2 it. but the next nite i searched for it again & got 2 hear a couple of more songs. soon this little bit of exposure 2 this new music i'd found was not enuff--i had 2 have more. i'd figured out that this was a station located in south La. & the music was called cajun. i live in La., but in the northern part. its almost like 2 different worlds. cajun music had been around for most of the 20th century--but i had just discovered it. so i began 2 learn all i could about the music & the cajun culture & that delicious cajun food--yum yum! bought cd's & went 2 music festivals & events 2 hear live music--it was great! also found out about a similiar music called zydeco. its the music of the black french speaking creole people of south La. it has a little different rythm & sound. i like both kinds of music now & crawfish & boudin are 2 of my favorite foods. so, if you wanna spice up your life a little, just google cajun music, & zydeco music--click on the youtube site shown & hear all the free cajun & zydeco music you want for free! it ain't for everybody--but i love it. ps 1 word of caution tho some of the modern zydeco groups have been influenced by the rap & hip hop stuff & use fowl language--but most of the old traditional stuff is great!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs and his others of same time frame.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Iggy Pop, Lust for Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQvUBf5l7Vw

I'm worth a million in prizes
With my torture film
Drive a GTO
Wear a uniform
All on a government loan

Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

okay, I'll play.

Thick Tull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpF1AP7gN8Q

Aged Iron Butterfly Bleu:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcGr3C69sA

Faux Apostrophee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcymhHq3xZI

ans

Travelin Eden Rose: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_fCFOXhdfs&feature=plpp

Zep Achillies Live video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=BICCMZ9jspk

something for anyone.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Suspended

A little waky-waky on a Saturday morn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2OFEa6aHw

Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Great stuff on that album too. I just got a great condition vinyl of the Kooper and Bloomfield Fillmore west double album, 1968. Santana and Elvin Bishop guest on two songs.

Here is two of the best togethor, Johnny Winter and Mike Bloomfield, yowza.... Fillmore East Dec 68.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Me-CrOVdnA
If your into Bloomfield and Bishop there is another great album with those two playing together......in stereo one of them is on the rt. channel and the other is on the left and each plays together and separately sort of talking together or moreover each trying to one up the other. The album is called East-West and they are playing in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. This album came out about the same time period as the Super Session album. I bought mine new back then, taped them on my 7" reel to reel tape player and just parked them in their jackets. At first I copied all the stuff on cassette and later on CD's from the reel to reel.