THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What would you like...
I have posted a better idea.

Make the post itself the 'Thanked' item.
And make it so a person can only 'Thank' it once.

It would be like making it a 'sticky' (except at the bottom of the main page.
Enough people like it and it will stand on its own merits, not my having the same 5 people 'Thank' each other.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
There is no way in h*ll that a EHTTFMF is a 'good' or 'useful' post.
Then have a lot of people 'Thank' it.

Heck, I have Eheads and race them.

Was that useful?
Will other people reading this think so?

Most people don't even know what it means.

Then the ones were people are called names and are thanked for it?

Yes

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have posted a better idea.

Make the post itself the 'Thanked' item.
And make it so a person can only 'Thank' it once.

It would be like making it a 'sticky' (except at the bottom of the main page.
Enough people like it and it will stand on its own merits, not my having the same 5 people 'Thank' each other.

You can't thank more than once.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Suspended

So John, when you thanked the "member" for the below post you weren't supporting a negative sentiment and fomenting resentment in the board? Do as I say, not as I do, comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Better than good. With "ignore", an antagonistic member can still post in my thread and can be "quoted", which does not get ignored by the system. He or she has then effectively invaded a space in which they really are not welcome by the thread starter.

If such a person is unwelcome in my yard or living room or the barstool next me, they are also unwelcome in my thread. I'd like to be my own bouncer on threads I start.
Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
arbys, johnta1

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So John, when you thanked the "member" for the below post you weren't supporting a negative sentiment and fomenting resentment in the board?
I don't see the 'negative statement or formenting resentment there?

He was asking about trolls who antagonize him and wanting to keep them out of his threads?
(which he was not really talking of the 'Thanks' button but a new button)

I thought that would probably be a good idea.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1
Yes, but everyone else sees their posts.
If no one saw their posts either, that would be good?

Better than good. With "ignore", an antagonistic member can still post in my thread and can be "quoted", which does not get ignored by the system. He or she has then effectively invaded a space in which they really are not welcome by the thread starter.

If such a person is unwelcome in my yard or living room or the barstool next me, they are also unwelcome in my thread. I'd like to be my own bouncer on threads I start.
BTW, this is the post that I thanked.

It appears the 'Thanked' part is not working the way DM_FAN said?
I figure if I 'quote' the post with the 'Quote' button it should 'Quote the whole post and not just part of it?

DM_FAN wrote:

Quote:
There's an older tech thread about a problem you just began experiencing with one of your beautiful rides and the 5th response to the thread gives you the info that you needed to fix the issue you are having. Obviously the poster of the 5th response deserves a Thank You, the only problem is that there are already 45 posts in that thread so your thank you will appear 2 pages later. I'm sure you'd combat your aversion to buttons enough to use the Quote button with your reply so that a copy of the 5th post accompanies your Thank You. Then some time later another with a similar problem is reading that entire thread and gets to your glowing note of appreciation on page 3 and recognizes the post you quote. However they skip going back to page 1 and re-read the original post and re-reading reply #7 that describes a variation that didn't apply to your situation but does apply to this other member's situation. 24 hours later, after this other member has read the quote in your reply 20-30 times, trying to figure out what he/she is doing wrong, he/she begins to read the entire thread from the beginning and re-discovers reply #7. If only the other member had seen your endorcement of reply #5 when he/she first read the thread and right before reading the important variation described in reply #7. If only this other member could have those 24 hours back.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I don't see the 'negative statement or formenting resentment there?

He was asking about trolls who antagonize him and wanting to keep them out of his threads?
(which he was not really talking of the 'Thanks' button but a new button)

I thought that would probably be a good idea.

No he wasn't. He was talking about a new way to troll people just as he did in this thread with his insulting language. And you supported that wholly negative sentiment while saying Leech was doing the same thing.

Glenn just doesn't want someone to have the power to give it back to him or prove he's wrong when he does what he did here.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No he wasn't. He was talking about a new way to troll people just as he did in this thread with his insulting language. And you supported that wholly negative sentiment while saying Leech was doing the same thing.

Glenn just doesn't want someone to have the power to give it back to him or prove he's wrong when he does what he did here.
Jeez.....

I had to go back and read this whole thread from the beginning.

NOWHERE did I see where Einstein said anything derogatory, insulting, antagonistic, formenting resentment, etc.

Unless your name isn't Doug?
I guess that would be insulting if it wasn't?

Or if you're name is Mr Lonely?

Einstein's 1st post in thread post #8:

Quote:
Nice touch.

Now for something much more useful, can we add "block user from posts I start" to the "ignore" feature?

your post in post # 35:

Quote:
Performance Years adds a new feature to bring the board together and 4-5 of the irregulars demand a way to further troll.
Sounds like you're trying to start something?
(little late to party though, 17 posts later)

Then post 40 which is the one PonchoV8 posted here.

Then post 42 Einstein replied:

Quote:
Key word: "antagonistic". Let that sink in.

The Following User Says Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
PonchoV8
Which is classic, since you 'Thanked' him!

Then a whole bunch more with you thanking him on his posts.
(probably because he can see it while having you on ignore)

Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's not possible to block an "ignored" person from posting on a thread that someone starts then maybe the "ignore" feature could be expanded so that you wouldn't even know that the "ignored" person posted on the thread. It would just from let's say post 7 to post 9 and wouldn't show up at all on thread. Just like the saying,

" If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are arguing with a child. The same one who sat in the middle of the quiet class and farted really loud and long, then pointed at everyone else and blamed them for the smell.
As long as you're in the room, he will find you. And he is sitting there pointing his finger at you and smiling. You can ignore that finger all you want, but the smell will still be there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
You guys are arguing with a child. The same one who sat in the middle of the quiet class and farted really loud and long, then pointed at everyone else and blamed them for the smell.
As long as you're in the room, he will find you. And he is sitting there pointing his finger at you and smiling. You can ignore that finger all you want, but the smell will still be there.
Yes, but we're just asking for nose plugs and a blindfold, like the Fabrese commercial.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Jeez.....

NOWHERE did I see where Einstein said anything derogatory, insulting, antagonistic, formenting resentment, etc.
Crack kills. His and Ross's entire premise is antagonistic and insulting. Using the announcement for their own personal cause, which seems to be a backhand to DMfan and the forum as it as about the presentation of the THANKS function.

Quote:
So now you're admitting that him calling people names is insulting. Glad we got that under control.
He is speaking directly about me because he wants to post his threads unchallenged by anyone in the Clubhouse. LEAVE IT IN THE CLUBHOUSE is what those two have agreed to do by using this forum.

Quote:
your post in post # 35:

Guess what? Glenn introduced the topic and Ross added his comment. Even though Glenn was speaking about me (as usual), I only made a comment how it is supposed to be about welcoming a new function.

Do you not remember posting about Leech by name and how people like him and his buddies will abuse the system? That's starting something and you should be honest enough to recognize that you're guilty of the same thing your accusing.

Quote:
I was going to quote him, but hit the wrong button so I just thanked him and others at random, but you assumed something different.

I mentioned narcissistic people because they are. Posting a thread as a guest and then not expecting someone to post a disagreeing comment is narcissistic. If a person only wants people to post agreement with him/her, they have the option to create their own website to master of.

Quote:
Wrong, see explanation above.

I thanked him by mistake by hitting the wrong button. You can't unthank someone, so I hit thanks a bunch more times down the list of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
If it's not possible to block an "ignored" person from posting on a thread that someone starts then maybe the "ignore" feature could be expanded so that you wouldn't even know that the "ignored" person posted on the thread. It would just from let's say post 7 to post 9 and wouldn't show up at all on thread.
That actually makes sense for a change. Until now you two have been demanding a way to banish people you personally disagree with. This forum isn't about any one guest. It's in the forum rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
And the forum rules you agreed to say you can't do what you just did in the Lobby. But you obviously don't value your word as a worthy bond. You made one of the most vile comments in the thread and you don't think you're the problem. You're just one of the 4 people taking a dump all over a THANKS function PY offered us.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Thumbs down

You guys continue with your name calling. I'm done. The point has been made that you're going to take it to the sewer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PonchoV8 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, I go enjoy life for most of the weekend, and this goes completely off the rails, which is how every conversation I've had with PonchoV8 Doug Mathis has gone for the 11 years we've shared these forums (or at least when I've been stupid enough to engage him).

Quote:
Thank you for noticing, John. I have never been anything but a gentleman here, even and especially to Doug. The likelihood of him finding anything I written that is derogatory to him is rather slim. And if I ever insulted him, an apology would not be far behind.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein
Nice touch.

Now for something much more useful, can we add "block user from posts I start" to the "ignore" feature?
your post in post # 35:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8
Performance Years adds a new feature to bring the board together and 4-5 of the irregulars demand a way to further troll.

(little late to party though, 17 posts later)
Welcome to my 11 years on this forum...

Quote:
Then post 40 which is the one PonchoV8 posted here.

Then post 42 Einstein replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein
Key word: "antagonistic". Let that sink in.
Quote:

Doug "thanking" me is him poking me in the eye with a sharp stick. By extension, he's doing the same to the board admin Steve (dm_fan) and the moderators.

Let me bullet point this issue:
1 - I requested an enhancement to a feature already granted to all users
2 - dm_fan ALREADY agreed to see if it was possible.
3 - Doug does not like it, calls it "demanding" and furthers his lying and insulting hyperbole with "4-5 of the irregulars".
4 - see the next dozen or so posts added by Doug continuing to judge, demean, insult everybody who thought my request was reasonable.
5 - I have something in the Pontiac community that Doug seems to resent - respect and standing. He wants to damage me somehow.

I've been in the vintage car hobby 45 years, participating in the Pontiac community in one form or another for over 30 years. He just seems to want to destroy some people, and I am at the top of his list.

Final word: Doug also seems to believe this is limited to the "Club House". It is not. I do not wish to engage him in ANY forum, about ANY topic, ESPECIALLY PONTIACS.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the record my posts were not antagonistic or insulting. Only truthful and that hurts the feelings of the people that believe that all people are equal are so are their ideas. Some Ideas are dumb. Just sayin

Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One final thought: Doug's words:
Quote:
Even though Glenn was speaking about me (as usual)
Doug, you're paranoid, delusional, or both. I rarely talk about you. Nothing you say interests me. PS my "bar" story was merely a fictional parable.

Let the jury decide.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
One final thought: Doug's words:
Doug, you're paranoid, delusional, or both. I rarely talk about you. Nothing you say interests me. PS my "bar" story was merely a fictional parable.

Let the jury decide.
It won't take long for that verdict.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
For the record my posts were not antagonistic or insulting. Only truthful and that hurts the feelings of the people that believe that all people are equal are so are their ideas. Some Ideas are dumb. Just sayin
PonchoV8 is the one who kept saying 'antagonistic or insulting'.

I said it has nothing to do with it being in the RACE section other than to get a 'Thanks' from certain people.
Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, just saying it is a way for people to get a Useless Post going or just to get a 'Higher Score' on a list.

Kind of makes the 'Thanks' button worthless.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Angry What is amazing to me...

...Is that this whole discussion has centered around one poster, who as Glenn has alluded to, causes most of the turmoil in the CH, to the point where the large number of the posters there either have him on "ignore" or routinely ignore his posts, causing him to resort to putting what would normally be content in a lengthy title.

Couple this with his theft of Arbys pics of his granddaughter, a minor, which Arbys posted with great pride in the lobby to repost in the CH, peppered with obscene and scatalogical remarks, I'm frankly amazed he hasn't been tossed off the board long before this.

For God's sake, he made these remarks about the man's granddaughter. What kind of man does that?

No mod has asked me, but mods, he needs to go. Yes, this is against the rules about dragging CH stuff here, but you asked (in a collateral fashion) so here's my answer, and opinion, and you're welcome.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Last edited by Bob Dillon; 09-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the part of the Thanked Feature where you can view the bottom of the index page and see the most thanked, and even though a few are using it for their agendas and bickering already, the majority on the forum can figure out who these are and select the members that actually have some useful info in the thread.

I like it!

Thanks PY....

EDIT: If a Thread gets locked and its been ranked as a "top thanked" thread, does it stay ranked on the list? I assume it does but just curious.