THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
LOL, well okay then...

Edit: And for the record, my post above wasn't directed at you personally. I apologize if it seemed like it was.
You mean this

""So why are you posting about old cars in this thread""

Sure read like it was. I just post purdy pictures, but other than that I was saying pretty much the same as everyone else.

I've also had a pretty wide variety of new stuff and use them in unusual ways.

Even 15 years ago I was busy doing a little racing in new Cadillacs long before it was cool. No one else was, so someone had to do it.

Yep, that's me way back in 99

And even further back than that. It sorta caught on over the last few years ... racing Cadillacs that is

Old 08-25-2015, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ack, I hate trying to communicate in writing like this, too easy to cross wires. I meant the post that you apparently took issue with (post #54), after which you addressed me directly. After that, yeah, I was talking to you, but before that it was just a general statement about threads like this where discussion of new cars gets going then guys start posting about older cars and trying to compare them. It seemed like you and a couple other guys were doing that but if that wasn't your intent then feel free to ignore what I wrote. It seemed like you took it personally and I didn't mean it that way.

How fast are those Cadillacs????

Old 08-25-2015, 02:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Ack, I hate trying to communicate in writing like this, too easy to cross wires. I meant the post that you apparently took issue with (post #54), after which you addressed me directly. After that, yeah, I was talking to you, but before that it was just a general statement about threads like this where discussion of new cars gets going then guys start posting about older cars and trying to compare them. It seemed like you and a couple other guys were doing that but if that wasn't your intent then feel free to ignore what I wrote. It seemed like you took it personally and I didn't mean it that way.

How fast are those Cadillacs????
Again, what I responded to was

"about how old cars are so much better"

"I don't think I remember anyone saying that."

I didn't think it was specifically directed at me. That why I responded with "I don't think I remember anyone saying that" (in this thread). True, I have seen that happen in discussions.

I'm into both old and new, but not much in between. I do know really old guys like me who won't touch anything newer than about 1970. You don't see them much here because computers !!! no way. You don't have to worry about them texting you either because they won't text ..... why? .... because they don't have anything to text on.

My point was that we can make the old (non-points judged trailer queen show cars) much better with some minor mods that don't much show and make life much more tolerable out of the road. You can't do any of this on the points judged cars. Those mostly being modern rubber, shocks, springs, sway bars, overdrive top gear and of course a decent audio system.

"How fast are those Cadillacs????"

Right around 156 or 157 through the traps after the 90 miles. Sure not much lift in the front at that speed.

Last edited by 61 389-348; 08-25-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, I misunderstood your point. No worries.

Totally agree about upgrading the older cars, that's what I'm doing with my Formula in hopes of putting it on-par with modern cars in terms of performance and some of the amenities and I'll do what I can to increase efficiency (OD trans and FI are on the list) but when it comes to daily drivers I couldn't bring myself to use an old car like that. I'll take a nice, modern, disposable car for that.

157 MPH? That's cooking!

Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
Again, what I responded to was

"about how old cars are so much better"

"I don't think I remember anyone saying that."

I didn't think it was specifically directed at me. That why I responded with "I don't think I remember anyone saying that" (in this thread). True, I have seen that happen in discussions.

I'm into both old and new, but not much in between. I do know really old guys like me who won't touch anything newer than about 1970. You don't see them much here because computers !!! no way. You don't have to worry about them texting you either because they won't text ..... why? .... because they don't have anything to text on.

My point was that we can make the old (non-points judged trailer queen show cars) much better with some minor mods that don't much show and make life much more tolerable out of the road. You can't do any of this on the points judged cars. Those mostly being modern rubber, shocks, springs, sway bars, overdrive top gear and of course a decent audio system.

"How fast are those Cadillacs????"

Right around 156 or 157 through the traps after the 90 miles. Sure not much lift in the front at that speed.
That Cadillac went 157 mph??

Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
a flex? its that box like thing? THAT? i cant see me ever wanting that. ugh. i like the idea of flex vehicles that run on any % alcohol tho. if they are fast too, ok. .
Don't be hatin' LOL...
The name has nothing to do with fuel. The fact that it can run a tick out of the 12's is only a small part of what rocks. The seats are like you would have in your living room. Heated/cooled, memory adjustment, the adaptive cruise control can practically drive the vehicle by itself, you can adjust the gap setting and it will keep a safe distance no matter what the speed setting is; that means you can set it at 80 if you want and when the gap sensor picks up a vehicle in the gap zone, it gently adjusts and you don't touch a thing. As soon as congestion clears or the slow guy in the left lane moves over, it picks you back up to the max selected speed. It warns you of impending collision, has an incredible stereo system, the nav screen is large and easy to use, all the rear seats fold down flat at the touch of a button, the rear passengers have their own climate control. The tailgate opens and closed by itself, The pedals can adjust to the driver, the wheel tilts and telescopes and will stay at the preset memory function along with the mirrors and seats, so one touch and all the perfect settings go right where you want them. The Flex is amazing on long drives, I could go on and on... I was looking at Explorer Sport with the twin turbos but the Flex is a nicer luxury vehicle and AWD in the winter is awesome, and the aforementioned looks you get from blowing the doors off of so-called performance cars is priceless. I also happen to think mine, in triple black, looks very cool. The redesign of the front on the current models looks much better IMHo than the older Flexes. These are great vehicles that, until you get in one and see the interior and the technology, you have no idea... different strokes for different folks as they say... Never had as much fun with a daily driver as this, I am quite sure I could also leave you in the dust on an auto cross course with it, it has stability control and you can't flip it or spin it out... . Beware of the box. It might really hurt your feelings.... Heheheheheeeee!

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am building a high dollar round port this winter and I recognize that some new stuff may beat it. That's OK. I will have too much $ in it to probably ever full tilt run it ever. Played that game and I am older. But the ones that will be faster will cost 2-3X what I have in my car. No computer(s), no data hack, no big brother, no insurance companies looking at my data base on driving, no new tech except roller. It's just what you like as a preference. The only commonality between a new car that runs 12's and old one that does also is that they both have wheels and headlights. So a comparison discussion is like comparing apples to green beans.

Also, I don't have extra doors wheeeeeeeeeeeeee Seriously I appreciate new techie cars, but they don't replace vintage, they augment. They both do some things well. Breakneck 90 degree head snap looks at your ride are not typically part of it, but people go whacky on vintage. That is biggest unchangeable difference.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Okay, I misunderstood your point. No worries.

Totally agree about upgrading the older cars, that's what I'm doing with my Formula in hopes of putting it on-par with modern cars in terms of performance and some of the amenities and I'll do what I can to increase efficiency (OD trans and FI are on the list) but when it comes to daily drivers I couldn't bring myself to use an old car like that. I'll take a nice, modern, disposable car for that.

157 MPH? That's cooking!
We get too much road rash around here to do that to an old car, plus the winters, plus the bugs all over the front of the car, plus the daily storms, plus the 63 GP takes way too long to detail, etc. So no, I would never use any of these as daily divers.

When I lived in SoCal if I had a showing or had to look at property up in Santa Barbara, and the weather was nice (95% chance) I'd take the 61 a lot. It loved heading up PCH through Oxnard and onto the 101 for the rest of the trip. You'd get a fog/salt film running next to the ocean but no bugs.

I generally lease and the when the lease is over, on to the next. I still have the G8 (Gee Whiz) because at lease end time the car was worth about $10k more than the residual. I wasn't about to give that back to the dealer so I bought the car from the lease.

Last edited by 61 389-348; 08-25-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
That Cadillac went 157 mph??
Once you programmed out the top speed limiter, these go pretty well on top end. (STSs had a z-rated tire package option that was governed at 155, but the Cooncours only had H-rated tires and governed at 130, easy to fix) Engine wasn't real strong below 3,000, but 3,000 - 7,000, they'll make their way back to the rest home faster than you planned.

But the event had a pretty good mix of old and new so needless to say, some wonderful sound.

Such as this 63 427 Galaxie

https://youtu.be/Ol9YeFwEK3U

or this 180 mph 66 Chevelle

https://youtu.be/eDL9xQBfiok

Last edited by 61 389-348; 08-25-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
totally agree - I'm shocked as hell that thing is as fast as it is but a car has to be more than fast for me to actually want to own it.
I replied in detail. Flex is a luxurious, comfortable and very functional vehicle. It can tow a race car or a boat (mine has a class C towing package) and as stated before, the interior is simply outstanding...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

six8, just trying to wrap my head around a 12 second cube. i guess i missed the part about it having twin turbos? cause i am a contractor, a cube would fit my daily service call biz about as well as my matrix. it lets me stuff 10 lbs of crap into it's 5 lb bag with ease. but the rear window opens in the hatch tho. i can and do carry a 24ft extention ladder around from time to time (its 12 ft long with not quite 3 ft sticking out the back when the other end is on the dash). haha i could imagine that ladder and half my other chit laying out in the street behind me after i mashed the gas!

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
six8, just trying to wrap my head around a 12 second cube. i guess i missed the part about it having twin turbos? cause i am a contractor, a cube would fit my daily service call biz about as well as my matrix. it lets me stuff 10 lbs of crap into it's 5 lb bag with ease. but the rear window opens in the hatch tho. i can and do carry a 24ft extention ladder around from time to time (its 12 ft long with not quite 3 ft sticking out the back when the other end is on the dash). haha i could imagine that ladder and half my other chit laying out in the street behind me after i mashed the gas!

It's a 3.5 6-cyl with twins. Note that there's about 80 horsepower in a tune alone, so if you go test one, it will be about a 13.9 car stock and it also takes a few thousand miles to break in, they get faster as they get miles, it's a "Ford Thing" I have flashed it back to stock and taken it in for scheduled service and no issues. The tune will firm up the shifts and make a HUGE difference in the fun factor. It also has three tunes- 87, 93 and 100. I've run 13.2 on 93 pump gas. It's faster when it is not heat-soaked and it is INSANE in the dead of winter when the roads are dry and the temps are in the teens, it feels like it would easily go 12's but the strip is closed...
It just so happens I have used it for service and hauling when I was able, but I am currently on medical leave because of my back and hip. The window does not open, the whole rear hatch does though. I'm telling you, this thing is so fun you have be REALLY careful out there when driving it, you get all kinds of morons that think it's a slow turd and they will try to beat you to the entrance ramp or speed around you and cut you off. Just the other day I was at a light before the entrance to I-43, and a guy with a Mustang goes over to the right lane and he's rocking on the clutch and revving and I knew he figured he was gonna speed ahead and cut me off to get on the freeway. I quietly spooled up the turbos and when the light turned green I heard his tires schreech but I was GONE and he ended up having to get back behind me to get on the freeway. Once i was on the interstate, he caught up to me and was just staring at the Flex with that look "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?? **** like that happens all the time. You can also paddle-shift this thing and it barks HARD into second gear on the street when you turn off the traction control. I try to behave as much as I can and do the racing at the dragstrip, but nobody is perfect... had it thru two rough winters and it's been awesome in every aspect...

1970 GTO Judge

1968 GTO

1966 GTO Ragtop