Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

quote: "I have lights for oil, water and amp. I do not have a trip odometer or KM readings on the speedo(not sure what year they started this, thought I'd throw it in just in case, since I picked up a complete gauge cluster from a '76 Bonneville Brougham that has all 4 gauges as well as a 100mph speedo with KM readings). "

that gauge setup won't work in your car, won't fit. you need a 71-72 fullsize rally cluster. fyi, sounds like a nice car! eric

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsleds
quote: "I have lights for oil, water and amp. I do not have a trip odometer or KM readings on the speedo(not sure what year they started this, thought I'd throw it in just in case, since I picked up a complete gauge cluster from a '76 Bonneville Brougham that has all 4 gauges as well as a 100mph speedo with KM readings). "

that gauge setup won't work in your car, won't fit. you need a 71-72 fullsize rally cluster. fyi, sounds like a nice car! eric
It's already installed in my car

I took the face plate for the gauges from the left cluster, and took the oil, water and volt gauges(kept my original fuel gauge), installed them into my original cluster and away we go

I obtained the correct sending units for the oil and water gauges and they work like a charm. I didn't take the speedo assembly, as I prefer my original speedo - I only wanted the rally gauges and face plate, and they fit just fine in my original cluster. The cluster itself and the gauge faces are the same dimensions, but the clear plastic lens and obviously the outer part of the dash surrounding it are very different. The earlier cars are round holes, the later are square, but there aren't any differences in the cluster itself that I could see.

And thanks , my dad bought this car from the original owners in '95 and gave it to me in May of last year.. It's in need of some paint and interior work, but for the most part it's pretty solid. Of all the cars I've owned, this is the one that I really enjoy driving the most

Old 09-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Suspended

I used to have a 1973 Grandville convertible with manual windows, manual locks, idiot lights, AM radio and very little else in options. Not even A/C.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455
It's already installed in my car

I took the face plate for the gauges from the left cluster, and took the oil, water and volt gauges(kept my original fuel gauge), installed them into my original cluster and away we go

I obtained the correct sending units for the oil and water gauges and they work like a charm. I didn't take the speedo assembly, as I prefer my original speedo - I only wanted the rally gauges and face plate, and they fit just fine in my original cluster. The cluster itself and the gauge faces are the same dimensions, but the clear plastic lens and obviously the outer part of the dash surrounding it are very different. The earlier cars are round holes, the later are square, but there aren't any differences in the cluster itself that I could see.

And thanks , my dad bought this car from the original owners in '95 and gave it to me in May of last year.. It's in need of some paint and interior work, but for the most part it's pretty solid. Of all the cars I've owned, this is the one that I really enjoy driving the most

YOU ARE RIGHT, OTHER THAN THE HOUSING'S SHAPE, THERE IS VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE. COOL! MOST PEOPLE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT. I HAVE, BUT WAS A LITTLE TEDIOUS. LATER! ERIC

Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just bought a 74 Grand Ville 4 door from the original owner, 9/16/2006. No rust, needs paint, immaculate interior. Car was in Alliance, NE and he was asking $1000 for it on(www.classicpontiacs.com). I told him it was a fair price, but with transport cost it was out of my range. He sold it to me for $450!! I got a deal on transport, $575, still more than the car, but it still was a great deal at $1025. Got a ton of paperwork including the dealer shipping record (basically a duplicate of the window sticker).
Color is Admiralty Blue, optioned as follows:
Custom Trim Group (Lt. Blue)
consists of:
F&R custom seat belts
Custom Front Seat
Custom Rear Seat
Custom Interior Appointments
Rear Seat Cigar Lighters
Cordova Top (LT. Blue)
H78-15 WW Fiberglass Tires
AM/FM Radio
Rear Seat Speaker
LH Remote Control Sport Mirror - RH Fixed
Rally II Wheels
Body Side Moldings
Power Windows
Soft Ray Glass - All Windows
Custom Air Conditioning
Front Floor Mats
Accent Stripes
Dual Exhaust
Front Bumper Guards
Rear Bumper Guards
Hadn't been running much over the last several years, but it's running good now. I am attaching a couple of pics.
One interesting note from reading all the posts in the thread; 74s, or at least mine, on't have courtesy lamps in the doors.
Also, there is a Grand Ville registry (http://www.collectorpro.com/grandvil...y/registry.htm) jut started up in July, there are 15 GVs posted so far, I am going to do a new post to help fellow Grand Ville owners find the site.

Eric, do you happen to have a set of usable door edge guards for a 4 door?
Thanks, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74GrandVille9-17-2006LH.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	66532   Click image for larger version

Name:	74GrandVille9-17-2006RH.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	66533  

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow. Only $450? That was a super deal. That is a very nice looking original car. I like that color too. I thought my $1000. deal was a good one. You definitely got a deal there! Enjoy.

Thanks for the link too. I registered my car (after making two mistakes). I did not know that they had added that feature on that site. I put my car was "burma brown", but after I saw others there, I realized it was "umber brown". Hopefully they will see it and change it.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

75 GRANDVILLE BROUGHAM CONVERTIBLE: 455 numbers car but needing RESTO. Hope to get parts bought once I can find someone who knows what year/model body parts will interchange. Posted separate thread.

Posting PHS below;

Last edited by JLHarper; 08-07-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

see your thread...................eric

Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Tony, I'd say you did fine yourself for $1000. And I still ended up at $1025 by the time I got the car. I'm very happy with it. I'm glad to see that you, and Eric (dedsleds), and possibly a few other PY regulars added your cars to the site. It will be interesting to see how many get listed, instead of becoming engine donors or demo derby cars. In fact, I found this while looking around the 'net, maybe someone here can save it, price seems right.
http://www.demoderbyads.com/viewlisting/4354.html
Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Options 75 Grand Ville Convert

I just purchased a beautiful 75 black Grand Ville Convertible I believe it has all availible options! including Rally Gauge cluster, and something I have never seen before "adjustable Brake and gas pedals!" Has anyone else seen this option? If I can figure out scanner I will scan option sheet.

Thanks,Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-624S.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	67764  

Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigponts62
I just purchased a beautiful 75 black Grand Ville Convertible I believe it has all availible options! including Rally Gauge cluster, and something I have never seen before "adjustable Brake and gas pedals!" Has anyone else seen this option? If I can figure out scanner I will scan option sheet.

Thanks,Ken
Sweet car! There's a '75 ragtop near me with the adjustable pedals... LOL And my mom thought that was a new thing on her Avalanche!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We hadnt posted here in awhile, but listed now on ebay is a nice and interesting Grand Ville. It kinda caught my eye, because its very much like my car, except its optioned differently and oddly in my opinion. Mine is the burma brown, this one appears to be the similiar burnished umber? It appears to have EVERY OPTION available that yeat, except for one... power door locks, which is an option mine does have. It does have several options that mine dont have such as auto-climate control A/C (mine has the standard A/C), power seat, cruise, FM radio, and cornering lights (an option I wish mine had). Mine does have tilt, power windows, map lights, courtesy lights on the doors, etc.... and the power doors locks as mentioned.

Strange that one would order EVERY option except for power door locks, especially on a 4-door car. Who knows why some people ordered cars like they did?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Tennesse, that is a very clean grand ville. I was looking at it yesterday. It is almost worth the asking price. Im sure it will eventually come down though. I did have a triple black 73 4dr grand ville with standard a/c cruise power windows locks trunk release tilt am/fm radio hub caps. It was a nice car but I sold it and my 73 grand ville convertible. It was white with burgandy interior power windows locks a/c trunk release tilt rally II's and only 63k. Im very sad about that one because the convertibles have gained value since then. I only got 6k for it. The triplr black 4dr sold for 2800. I had to do it to keep a business going that my family started here in birmingham. We were new to the area but things have picked up and I found a gem in Sprinfield MO just this weekend. It is a 71 4dr hard top baja gold with sandlewood top and interior. The Car to me is mint for its age. It has 84k power windows tilt a CB radio am/fm a/c power seats and my favorite part is that it was ordered with the grand ville custom cloth interior with front and back fold down armrest. I dont know if any of you have seen the ad for the first pontiac grand ville but if you have this is that car. I am very pleased. It runs like a sewing machine. It was an estate sale car. The owner was the wife of a man that worked at Ralph's buick pontiac GMC in Mena Arkansa. I have every piece of paperwork for it including registration and insureance from day one and the the original sales slip that says what they ordered on the car and that they traded in a 1956 pontiac 4dr cat. Feel free to PM me with your email address and I will send you pics. I also have an aztec gold 71 2dr grand ville and my brother has a black 71 2dr grand ville. T
hanks for keeping the post alive!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi all you big car fans. I stumbled across this thread and read all the posts and had to add my car to your list. In 1986 I bought a '71 Bonnevile 4-dr hardtop off a used car dealership in my hometown for $3000. It had only 39,000 miles on it at the time and was owned by an older gentleman who babied the car. I think it was optioned a little strangely, but that is what attracted me to the car. It has its factory applied Cardinal Red paint with a black vinyl top and standard black cloth interior. I used it to tow my Cardinal Red Judge back in the day, now I drive all my cars, no towing anymore. Here are the options:

Vinyl top
AM radio
Remote trunk release (in glove box)
Remote drivers mirror
Body side moldings

The standard features were:

455 2-bbl w/ single exhaust
Turbo 400 auto
Power steering
Power disc brakes
Full wheel covers
Dual stripe WW tires (have original H78-15 spare)

I added a complete YC 455 4-bbl motor from a '71 Grandville I parted out as well as its 15" Rally II wheels (without the trim rings - I like the the trimless look like my Judge). I wish I kept all the options from that GV as it was loaded (2 dr hdtp - Silver w/ black top and guts). I also added a crummy dual exhaust by utilizing the existing single side and adding the other new side and modified the headpipe, very jerry-rigged I know. It has about 57,000 miles on it now.

I remember a lady that was looking at the car when she walked by said, "that's a pretty old car". I wonder what see meant by that.

DJ

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those both sound like really nice and interesting cars.

That black-black color combo on that 73 4dr sounds really nice!

I noticed on an interior shot of that 1973 Catalina (in the 1973 movie, 7-Ups), that Catalina has the optional auto-climate control. That Catalina, with the white walls, vinyl top and luxury interior option was quite a luxury car.... especially when compared to the standard base Catalinas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73_G_Ville View Post
Tennessee, that is a very clean grand ville. I was looking at it yesterday. It is almost worth the asking price. Im sure it will eventually come down though. I did have a triple black 73 4dr grand ville with standard a/c cruise power windows locks trunk release tilt am/fm radio hub caps. It was a nice car but I sold it and my 73 grand ville convertible. It was white with burgandy interior power windows locks a/c trunk release tilt rally II's and only 63k. Im very sad about that one because the convertibles have gained value since then. I only got 6k for it. The triplr black 4dr sold for 2800. I had to do it to keep a business going that my family started here in birmingham. We were new to the area but things have picked up and I found a gem in Sprinfield MO just this weekend. It is a 71 4dr hard top baja gold with sandlewood top and interior. The Car to me is mint for its age. It has 84k power windows tilt a CB radio am/fm a/c power seats and my favorite part is that it was ordered with the grand ville custom cloth interior with front and back fold down armrest. I dont know if any of you have seen the ad for the first pontiac grand ville but if you have this is that car. I am very pleased. It runs like a sewing machine. It was an estate sale car. The owner was the wife of a man that worked at Ralph's buick pontiac GMC in Mena Arkansa. I have every piece of paperwork for it including registration and insureance from day one and the the original sales slip that says what they ordered on the car and that they traded in a 1956 pontiac 4dr cat. Feel free to PM me with your email address and I will send you pics. I also have an aztec gold 71 2dr grand ville and my brother has a black 71 2dr grand ville. T
hanks for keeping the post alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Hi all you big car fans. I stumbled across this thread and read all the posts and had to add my car to your list. In 1986 I bought a '71 Bonnevile 4-dr hardtop off a used car dealership in my hometown for $3000. It had only 39,000 miles on it at the time and was owned by an older gentleman who babied the car. I think it was optioned a little strangely, but that is what attracted me to the car. It has its factory applied Cardinal Red paint with a black vinyl top and standard black cloth interior. I used it to tow my Cardinal Red Judge back in the day, now I drive all my cars, no towing anymore. Here are the options:

Vinyl top
AM radio
Remote trunk release (in glove box)
Remote drivers mirror
Body side moldings

The standard features were:

455 2-bbl w/ single exhaust
Turbo 400 auto
Power steering
Power disc brakes
Full wheel covers
Dual stripe WW tires (have original H78-15 spare)

I added a complete YC 455 4-bbl motor from a '71 Grandville I parted out as well as its 15" Rally II wheels (without the trim rings - I like the the trimless look like my Judge). I wish I kept all the options from that GV as it was loaded (2 dr hdtp - Silver w/ black top and guts). I also added a crummy dual exhaust by utilizing the existing single side and adding the other new side and modified the headpipe, very jerry-rigged I know. It has about 57,000 miles on it now.

I remember a lady that was looking at the car when she walked by said, "that's a pretty old car". I wonder what see meant by that.

DJ

Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone ever see a 71-72 with a manual trans?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
No, because 1970 was the last year for full size manual trans. cars.

1968 was the last year for floor-mounted manual shifters in full size cars.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Chief

Collectible Automobile featured the 71-76 Ponitac biggies a few years ago, I have the issue. They said 71-75 Grand Ville and 76 Bonneville was based on the C body, shared with Electra/98/DeVille. The B body was all Catalinas/71-75 Bonneville. Obviously, they say the ragtops are the most valuable. But I like all of them.

Anyone have a 71-72 Catalina convertible? Someone in my old neighborhood had one, very rare compared to 71-75 GV droptops.

Closet I got to owning one was my cousin had a plain 1974 Catalina post sedan. I changed spark plugs a few times and was tough to get one by the A/C. Body was solid, but the emission controls made car tempramental and got bad MPG.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Actually, there were a few 1971 manuals. Here is copy of an earlier post:

"The info I have is from John Gunnell's book, "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland." It says manual transmission availability was dropped on March 1 1971. The production numbers he found showed there were 2 Grand Villes, 0 Grand Safaris, 4 Bonnevilles, 6 Catalina Broughams, 30 Catalina Safaris, and 144 base Catalinas built with manual transmissions, for a total of 186. There were no breakdowns on body style (two door, four door, convertible.) It's anyone's guess if any of those cars still exist, I suppose."

Last edited by chicagoland; 10-28-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, I imagine they were column shift cars too.