THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Anybody that has had a serious injury that has required opiate pain killers for any length of time totally understands how a person can get hooked on them.

There are millions and millions of people in opium dens around the world that have succumbed to the ... hate to say it ... peace ... that it can provide.

I liked the man, not going to second guess him. He did what he did, he paid the price. F anyone that feels the need to belittle the man after his death. It could just have easily been your wife, your child, your friend.
Well said Dataway!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's big news here in Minneapolis, of course. I heard someone on the radio this morning who had an interesting theory about why he died: a few days beforehand, he was flying back to Minnesota from a concert and they had to make an emergency landing in Illinois, where doctors treated him with another drug that more or less 'cleared out' the fentanyl from his system. As a result, his tolerance for fentanyl would have been lowered greatly, so if he gave himself the usual amount he had been using prior to that it was almost certainly going to be an overdose.
Inaccurate as to increased tolerance. Narcan clears the system at approximately the same rate as Fentanyl and other opiates and opiods.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, narcan will instantly put an addict (which he demonstrably was) into withdrawal-it's been used to diagnose opiod dependence for that purpose.

And what's the "cure" for an addict in withdrawal? More Fentanyl, which led to the downward spiral, respiratory depression, and his death.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Anybody that has had a serious injury that has required opiate pain killers for any length of time totally understands how a person can get hooked on them.

There are millions and millions of people in opium dens around the world that have succumbed to the ... hate to say it ... peace ... that it can provide.

I liked the man, not going to second guess him. He did what he did, he paid the price. F anyone that feels the need to belittle the man after his death. It could just have easily been your wife, your child, your friend.
Well said, dataway. Folks need to remember the addage.."There but for the grace of God go I".

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2016, 08:01 PM

One of the best performers I have ever seen live

76 SE 455 hardtop
87 GTA
89 Turbo TA
02 CETA Convert
Old 06-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just the idea of chronic pain can be debilitating - not the pain itself but just knowing that at every moment of the day & night you will be in pain can be relentless and extremely difficult to deal with. There have been several times in my life that either through injuries or other physical conditions I have been in pain 24/7 and for those that have never experienced this, it can be very difficult to deal with.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down You are an Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Wow, you called me an idiot twice. My feelings are really hurt...not.

Too bad you're not mature enough to have a thoughtful discussion without resorting to name calling.
Thoughtful Discussion ?

With an Idiot who calls an artist a Junkie ?

You are an Idiot ....

Prince contributed greatly to music & to other artists.

He led a clean life.

At the end - the pain he incurred after yesars of performing for the public
took it's toll - he chose a poor way to deal with it.

To characterize him as a Junkie is the observation of an Idiot ...

Jim

Old 06-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Exclamation Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Thoughtful Discussion ?

With an Idiot who calls an artist a Junkie ?

You are an Idiot ....

Prince contributed greatly to music & to other artists.

He led a clean life.

At the end - the pain he incurred after yesars of performing for the public
took it's toll - he chose a poor way to deal with it.

To characterize him as a Junkie is the observation of an Idiot ...

Jim
Personal attacks or name calling will not be tolerated here Jim, you'd better cool it.

Find a way to be civil or you will stop posting here.

This is your one and only warning.

I'm glad we understand each other.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Just the idea of chronic pain can be debilitating - not the pain itself but just knowing that at every moment of the day & night you will be in pain can be relentless and extremely difficult to deal with. There have been several times in my life that either through injuries or other physical conditions I have been in pain 24/7 and for those that have never experienced this, it can be very difficult to deal with.
True, the always there is bad gig. My range is a little to a lot. broke back in 1984. it is haunting me now older. I refuse opiods or pills. I am now doing lots of flexibility, rotational range of motion stuff along with resistance. I am going on a premise of healing and rebuilding and seeing how far it goes. I went back to squatting after years but never the heavy again, but if I can rep 225 (at 190) I will be a happy old guy. I think it is key to the heal.

The path of no pain via pills really shouldn't be judged too harshly. The pain choice, well many here know it seems. Pandora's Box on the meds. Medical Pot should be 50 state legal.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Thoughtful Discussion ?

...who calls an artist a Junkie ? Jim
I (very respectfully) suggest that being an artist and a junkie are not mutually exclusive.

Perhaps this is why this a very familiar story amongst the rich, famous, and talented?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Boss, I've been dealing with chronic pain since 2008. It's hell because it affects every aspect of your life: your sleep (if you can sleep), interaction with other, your ability to work, sex life, etc. Thank God I found an alternate treatment to the constant fog of opioids, even IF it's temporary.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Boss, I've been dealing with chronic pain since 2008. It's hell because it affects every aspect of your life: your sleep (if you can sleep), interaction with other, your ability to work, sex life, etc. Thank God I found an alternate treatment to the constant fog of opioids, even IF it's temporary.
Same here, since the late 90's. But I've even forgotten the meaning of work, sex life, etc. Just getting through the day is hard enough most days.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 PM
Senior Chief

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...s_opioids.html

71 Firebird
69 Firebird
Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am very lucky that at 57 I don't have in chronic pain to deal with, many people do ... I did get more than my share of opiates when I did ...this ...see photo.

It hurt a lot when I cut them off, and for quite a while afterwards .... but they are good now ... and actually don't cause me many problems at all ...but they did take a big chunk out of my life long habit of playing guitar ... nothing like having 30 years of practice pretty much vaporize in an instant.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hand-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	430006