THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Keep in mind, that "camera" view is PROBABLY a BETTER view than what the driver actually sees, the camera lens is not set back into a full face helmet.
Agreed, however this is the best video I could find representative to show how easy it is to lose sight of the car next to you in a sprint car, not to mention a human walking across a race track in a black firesuit unexpectedly.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not here to argue for anyone or against anyone. It was a accident pure and simple and the grandstander that claims to know everything probably never set foot in a sprint car.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seeing a car to the side and seeing a lone driver on the track are two different things. If I see a car to the side of the track and I know my line is clear of it the last thing I'm expecting is someone standing on the track in harms way.
I've picked my line to get around the incident, maybe glanced at the gauges, see where the car in front or behind is.
The race is under caution, from a driver standpoint I'm getting prepared for a restart which means catching the car in front.

Racing has rules and protocal so you know what to expect from fellow racers, even if you don't race with them on a regular basis.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What #45 says will play a big role in where this goes.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep your right banshee. He got up said hey. I think ill piss off some 20 yr old and then kill him.
Go back to California.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The view to the side while driving the car doesn't have as much relevance as the view in front of the car when entering the corner. Couple that with not following a lower line, as #45 did, the revving of the engine right when he is next to Ward and fishtailing into him -- Well worth investigation.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not going to quantify ignorance with a response.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Agreed, however this is the best video I could find representative to show how easy it is to lose sight of the car next to you in a sprint car, not to mention a human walking across a race track in a black firesuit unexpectedly.
I don't drive a sprint but in my car with the full face helmet with visor down, glare, Hans, DS window net, RH containment net, roll cage, etc... my primary vision is straight ahead, most everything else is using the mirrors and limited peripheral vision. If someone is standing in my RH A-pillar line of sight, between the cage tube dia and pillar width I'd never see them.
A Spint probably has even less visability.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The ONLY thing that is clear in the video of the incident is that the young driver would still be alive if he had simply stayed in his car and waited for the safety crews to come and get him instead of walking down onto an active racetrack. That fact is indisputable.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
The ONLY thing that is clear in the video of the incident is that the young driver would still be alive if he had simply stayed in his car and waited for the safety crews to come and get him instead of walking down onto an active racetrack. That fact is indisputable.
This is why the Ward rule across the industry might be on the way. I suggested a fine yesterday for leaving a car on track, but loss of license and race privileges would probably work better. Stipulations aside, guys. We are talking just pissed off drivers here --

Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Absolutely.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant believe there's even a debate. FWIW, not a fan of Stewart. Although he's one of the best.
Sprint cars are over the edge of control even on straights.
The rear end has to slide out to turn or they would go straight into the rail or wall.
How many times do spun out cars get hit or run over even in day light let alone at night.
Feel sorry for the kid and family(even shed a tear), but get'n out of one of those cars on track is one of the most dangerous in racing.

Oh ya...you really think they have microphones around the track?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Sprint cars are over the edge of control even on straights.
The rear end has to slide out to turn or they would go straight into the rail or wall.

Oh ya...you really think they have microphones around the track?
Not when they are under caution doing around 30 mph.

Who said anything about microphones around the track? Don't remember reading that. The only audio I saw referenced was the video camera audio.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a tragic racing deal...period. IMO..
I feel for the Ward family..and Tony.

He (Ward) lost his cool and got out of car before safety workers arrived..it appeared he moved down to get in front of Tony to admonish him..bad decision..
Every drivers meeting I was ever in it was part of instructions to stay in car !!!..
I never ran dirt in a Sprint car but did in Karting and things happen quick and the last thing you expect is a person in the racing groove..
Vision is restricted with the cage & FF helmet..

FWIW: Got to remember if these cars run spools they don't turn very well with steering wheel. May be why you /they heard a motor rev ???

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post

FWIW: Got to remember if these cars run spools they don't turn very well with steering wheel. May be why you /they heard a motor rev ???
The 1 driver with most experience is the only one with a problem turning in that corner at 30 mph? Even if I didn't have experience driving a car with spool I wouldn't buy into that, but it's not I who has to be convinced. All comes down to the DA at this point.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many other drivers did the kid attempt to get in front of?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I watch the video, here is what I see.......I see a twenty year old moron and Darwin Award Finalist walk out in the middle of a race track wearing a black outfit and
standing in a very poorly lit area of the track and commit suicide by walking in front of a race car going 100 miles per hour. This type of stunt is why the Darwin Awards were created.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
When I watch the video, here is what I see.......I see a twenty year old moron and Darwin Award Finalist walk out in the middle of a race track wearing a black outfit and
standing in a very poorly lit area of the track and commit suicide by walking in front of a race car going 100 miles per hour. This type of stunt is why the Darwin Awards were created.
That's really what you saw? Interesting point. The only car being driven over caution speed was Stewart's.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
The 1 driver with most experience is the only one with a problem turning in that corner at 30 mph? Even if I didn't have experience driving a car with spool I wouldn't buy into that, but it's not I who has to be convinced. All comes down to the DA at this point.
Have you ever tried to hand push a car into a garage with a spool ....with wheels turned....mission impossible unless you got a lot of help....trust me...
In Karting with solid real axle it wouldn't turn well either. To turn you cranked the wheel and stood on gas..Granted not a Sprit Car but very similar deal..
It did appear the kid moved down after the 45 car passed...a tragic mistake
They don't have speedo's either and 45 car appeared to be going as fast as Tony ??

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.

Last edited by 60man; 08-11-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
How many other drivers did the kid attempt to get in front of?
X 2..David..a very tragic mistake..

ECM member.
MANDRA

Closed Thread