Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A YANKEE

Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pinstripe Option

True, the stripe could be deleted at the buyers request in writing on the order form, but it enhances the body line very nice as seen on the black on black Original Owner 65 below, and Keiths Beautiful Black 65.
I have seen many original paint 65's (mostly worn and faded) and all of them still showed what remained of the factory stripes so a 65 that was ordered without them would be rare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Black Original Paint, Owner in LA.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	217645  

Last edited by 60sstuff; 09-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
I am in New York so not to far from Thortons. I agree about the stripe. I think it looks cleaner with out one. I was only 1 year old (1965)when my father bought a new 1965 tripower 4speed convert. Nightwatch blue w/blue interior. A year later someone stole the transmission, my sister was born and my father decided it was time to become an adult so he sold the car for a 4 door Chrysler 6 banger. 20 years later he came across an exact match to his original GTO #s matching and bought it. He still has it today and will never part with it until he is dead. (his words) That feeling of owning his original car gave him such a burst of life, that we started collecting 65-67 converts. Presently we own 26 GTOs, all converts except for the one I just bought. I know some people will doubt what I say but will post some pics of the collection when I get a chance. The sad thing is these cars have been sitting for 20 years and it shows. They have always been stored indoors since we purchased them, but still does not protect them as good as we would like. They have all been off the road for at least 20 years.
Holy crap! You gotta post some pics...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I said it was PURDY !! lol. The oil filter was on the engine when it was painted,so it should be completely covered with engine blue 59-65.
The filter should be a PF7 with an integral hex nut on the bottom.8LUG,here at P.Y. has a great way to replicate the filter cheaper and since it is painted,....

No bracket for the PVC hose is correct for your car.

The spring clamps-Corbin Clamps,are correct for 65 heater hoses,for at least a majority of the year. The Wittek Tower clamps are correct for the radiator hoses.

I recall a stripe delete is shown on the original window sticker as a credit.Also,I like it without the red or white pin striping.That picture of the guy in 65 applying the stripe that Keith so graciously supplied is.... Keith.

You have how many 65-67 GTO's?? Wow,pictures indeed when you get a chance.

Keith,I am here in Westmont big guy,come and get a whoopin' Just announce yourself,cause I won't be able to see you. lol Larry B.

p.s.at what factory was the car built?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Car was built at the Pontiac plant. As far as the oil filter, does 8lug sell them or just post how to do it?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Barn finds? 26 GTOs? Please tell us more! & pics!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No barn finds, but running and driving back when we bought them. After posting I realized it was more like 29 years ago. I was in high school and my father was on a GTO buying spree. My mother was not happy, but I was. In school I was the as you can imagine the coolest kid that ever walked those halls. 17 years old and driving a 67 convert Tyrol blue with parchment 4spd. My 2 sisters each drove GTOs as well. A 65 convert Montero red with red interior automatic and a 66 convert Marina turquoise with green interior automatic. We purchased the 1st one and then within 6 months we had 12 more. We were not prepared to have such a big collection so fast, so at 1st there was not a garage big enough. We lived on a dead end road with a big circle at the end. All 13 cars were in line around this circle. What a sight it was. We would have people driving down the dead end like we were giving something away for free. After a while it started to get alarming, 3:00 am hearing a car come down, doors opening and closing. If my parents went out for the night my little sisters and brothers would just be on edge because of all the traffic outside so we needed to move these cars fast. Still not having a garage big enough yet, my father did what any car guy would do. Take over the back yard. Again my mom was pissed. The lawn, front to back was trashed and my younger siblings lost their play area but it was for the good of the almighty GTO. My father and I would conspire to get the next GTO into the back yard. The next GTO would be a 67 convert Regimental red with parchment interior 4 spd. My fathers idea(which did not prove to be a good one) was to put a big red bow around the car and say it was for her. Problem was she did not like GTOs and worse yet, did not know how to drive a 4spd. Over the next 2 decades these cars were moved 4 times.We hired 4 tow companies and would load them up and bring them to the next location.Again an amazing thing to see multiple GTO converts all at one time.I have so many amazing memories because of these cars,some very good and some very bad I could never have an appreciation for any other car like I do for the GTO. There are so many stories attached to these cars from the time this journey started I could write a book. I now have 3 kids of my own and I am continuing this passion that my father had. Wow that was a trip down memory lane.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At 17 you drove that car around school? Punk-ass !!!! LOL I'll bet you got some props.

As far as John M.'s PF-7 replication,I am not at liberty to say,as he "invented" this way to replicate this particular filter. Just look up 8LUG in the membership listered here and explain I mentioned this for you beautiful car. It's his decision,but,I consider him a friend and great hobbiest,so I suspect there will be no problem,just memtion your thread here or your story ,and say,Larry B. sent you to him!! I do have one mint NOS PF-7 but I would like a good $ for it,they are hard to find. Give 8LUG a PM and goos luck. Larry B.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With much regret and sadness I have come to accept the fact that the dream of restoring 26 1965-1967 GTOs (almost all are convertibles)is never going to happen. Plus paying for storage for the last 29 years has been costly. Its time to end the maddness. All of these cars were purchased in a 2 year span from 1980 to 1982 with hopes of restoring 3 a year. As of today only 1 65 was restored and a 65 and 66 have been on the rotisserie, media blasted, primed and put back on the frame and that was 20 years ago for the 65 and 5 years ago for the 66. I am going to keep a few but the rest need to go. When I purchased my 1965 black/white tripower 4 spd last year my friends and family looked at me like I was nuts, but knowing I would not be able to restore my cars, the best option was to buy one done. My hope is to sell them as one package. Many parts were purchased from a GM guy in Hemmings back in the early eighties. If my memory is correct the parts were about $15,000.00 alone which was a boat load of money considering you could purchase a very nice complete running car for about $3,000.00. Understanding the difficulty of this happening I thought I would start here and see if anyone had any interest or any suggestions on how to approach this. I thought maybe a broker might be the way to go or Mecum as 1 lot? Piecing out the collection and parts could take years to sell and I just do not want to spend the time doing it. As far as the price for everything that is the next thing that is difficult to figure out, but with the cars and all the parts which there are about 10 or more qt panels,and about 20 doors and fenders,hoods and trunks and other misc. parts I'm thinking about $185,000. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Suspended

put it in the ad section and see wht kind of bites you get

Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

185K seems more than reasonable for 26 GTO vert project cars. This would be one heck of a find for someone looking to open up a restoration business!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The GTO tomb has been open this weekend. More pics and info once I recieve all the paper work from PHS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gto tomb.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	255742  

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that is GTO heaven!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OMG

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My jaw droppped. More pics please!!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

wow nice....!!! More pic's.....

My 1965 Lemans....
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Someone mentioned this car in question was restored by Thortons.
For those he never heard of Thortons, Jeff Thorton is a master at restoring cars and specializes in Olds but has done many Pontiacs too. I have seen his work in person and most cars of his I have seen at auction sell for over 75k. He even had a 70 Chevelle SS being evaluated on "Whats my Car Worth" on Discovery and Bill Stevens could not find one thing wrong with the car.

47 AACA First place awards
14 AACA Grand National Awards
9 World of Wheels First place awards
17 Oldsmobile National Firsts
1 Chevelle-A-Bration Best in class
5 Super Chevy First awards
4 GM Nationals At Carlisle
Countless local first place awards, best paint and best restored
Numerous magazine articles
Continuously setting record auction figures
The list goes on………………

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, if I understand and remember correctly - 6t5gto - you bought the car in question which started this thread -

Were you planning on keeping that one?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
I politely disagree with you on that one. they say a picture is worth a 1000 words this car has never been messed with underneath had all the original floor pans trunk pans etc. off road since 82 and in storage. original sc car. Sure looks black to me. I have pictures of other cars as well black under neath. Don
May want to look at this. This is picture of recent GTO original car on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65 gto 8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	255950  

Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Your best bet for the sake of our hobby would be to sell them individually through classified adds. anything else would attract sharks. you have the right to expect as much money as possible for your cars. Best of luck.