Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Les,

Where did your panel come from?
Just did this, my panels came from Dynacorn and were made and fit just like OEM.

Seems yours was not made to go all the way under the window and with the lip on top of the rear window shelf cover as the OEM did. You can see where the original spot welds were under the glass sealing surfaces after we took of the panel. Looks like yours stopped and turned down at the bottom of the trough, necessitating cutting across the underneath panel to attach it.

WHOA. HOLD IT, I'm wrong your picture #4 is the passengers side , mine are the drivers side. I was turned around again. Your drivers side is now picture #5. Looks right now! Compare your #5 lower shot with my #1 upper shot.
That opening in your picture is the normal opening in the factory panel on the side of it, shown in my first picture.

It's bullheimer's fault, I went right along with it and went screwy!
Quote:
all the pictures that you have posted in post #80 show what appears to be a rectangular cut from side to side under the windshield channel.
You owe us both an apology bull, I already have. Sorry Les.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5626.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	194889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5622.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	194890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5641.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	194891   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020943.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	194892   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020941.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	194893  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 01-23-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Mistaken place for opening!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Charles,

No id of any kind on the replacement panel that I sourced from Ames with my $100 discount certificate from a local car show . It miced the same as the original panel and had the identical rr window and trunk gutters, so I am assuming that it probably is the Dynacorn piece, based on your description. My body guy said that it fit well and required very little preparation for painting.

No sweat , you guys did have me wondering what's up in the trunk .

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IF YOU SAY SO OLD GOAT.
anway, i got the info i needed. dynacorn or ames and i'm good to go as i have heard horror stories about this part fitting from a different mfg (i don't know who). so old goat, you are saying that you have the same cuts in yours and that this is an original hole then. i suppose i'm gonna have to unwrap my car and go lay in the trunk to figure this one out. i should see the same hole in mine, as should everybody else. in which case apology given.

as for putting you next to the same kind of car at that show wheelspin, i don't know why that happens but it happened to me twice- both times i sold a car at reno's han auction i was put next to the same exact car. i didn't actually mind because i thought mine was the nicer of the two each time. beware car transport trucks, something came out of it's exhaust or dripped out of another car and little clear dropletts of something ate into my paint all over the deck lid. would not come out even with clay. i'm sure that didn't help my final bid any. always make sure your car is covered when you ship it.

who made your paint wheelspin, and it was bc/cc was it not? looks like it. i know judges quit marking down for not having original lacquer paint years ago

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Answers.......

b/heimer,

My bodyman assures me that those "cuts" are factory and were required to build the car. When I crawled into the trunk they appeared to be old sheared cuts in the metal providing access for the purpose of installing or repairing the very panel that we are discussing.

Yes the PPG "Omni" is bc/cc and solvent based. The high solids clear glamour clear coat was 3 X the cost of the color. My painter chose to add some pearl to the as mixed color in order to cut the size of the metallic particles in the paint. Otherwise, he said that you would have a slight metalflake look when done. I do live in part of East LA, but prefer the barely visible metallic look of the original laquer .

Les

Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bull,

I used the Dynacorn Filler panel # D11#1545. I can say that with extensive measurements before we started and with proper strapping when we started to weld it back in, this part not only fit exactly as the original part, but my body man told me he feels it is better than the original part as far as quality. I was truly impressed with the fit and finish. Also, if you look at pic 1 in my post above, those "cuts" are how the underneath panel was made. The underneath panel adds strength to the whole assembly, but they had to leave a place for the spot-welding to the quarter panel wing to attach. We found that we needed to strap across to pull the quarters back in just a bit, as they do release a little and "roll" out when you remove the old panel. You can see the separation on the drivers side before we cranked on the strap. Of course, clamping tight from underneath before welding also.

You'll see the cut we are talking about when you look under there, and what surprised me was that the lower panel was sitting there with hardly any rust on it , even with never having been painted at all. Of course, I coated it with POR 15 before we put the new panel on top.

Good luck and don't hesitate to contact me if you need more info. How are your corner pieces? I used the Chevelle parts just to get the corners as fabricating them would have cost more labor $'s than they cost. We still had to tweak them a bit though. They were Dynacorn parts.
Driver wing = D11#1475AX
Pass Wing = D11#1475BX

Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5631.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	195196   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5630.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	195197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5639.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	195200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5638.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	195201  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 01-25-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Progess..........

With the help of my young friend "rexus31", we got the underdash stuf completed, trunk light connected, new glove box installed, and the buckets bolted down in the GTO today. Thanks, Scott . Next shift stuf to do: outer seat belts, door panels, door sills, arm rests, polish the dirty spokes on my Grant str. wheel, polish my TTs, and fix my new trunk light .

As soon as I consider my work is done then it's back to the paint shop for some detail work and another polish/buff operation. I'm pleased with the car's stance: std. heigth Hotchkis "Sport" springs in the front, and 15psi in the rear air bags w/ Moog passenger car rear coils. Note h/light switch mod, parking lights are lit w/ h/lights .

Time to move the Goat outside since I need the garage tomorrow in order to repair the GP's inoperative p/steering. Replacing everything: pump, steering box (installing a 3-turn box), hoses, and installing a inline NAPA oil filter as a little insurance against contamination.

Les
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020987.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	195585   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020984.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	195586   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020983.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	195587   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020991.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	195588   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020992.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	195589  

Last edited by wheelspin; 01-29-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
With the help of my young friend "rexus31", we got the underdash stuf completed, trunk light connected, new glove box installed, and the buckets bolted down in the GTO today. Thanks, Scott . Next shift stuf to do: outer seat belts, door panels, door sills, arm rests, polish the dirty spokes on my Grant str. wheel, polish my TTs, and fix my new trunk light .

As soon as I consider my work is done then it's back to the paint shop for some detail work and another polish/buff operation. I'm pleased with the car's stance: std. heigth Hotchkis "Sport" springs in the front, and 15psi in the rear air bags w/ Moog passenger car rear coils. Note h/light switch mod, parking lights are lit w/ h/lights .

Time to move the Goat outside since I need the garage tomorrow in order to repair the GP's inoperative p/steering. Replacing everything: pump, steering box (installing a 3-turn box), hoses, and installing a inline NAPA oil filter as a little insurance against contamination.

Les
WOW!! Nice work Les!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Looking good Les.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Thanks.........

Thanks, gents. I really appreciate the comps .

Les

Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Les, you started this post in mid November. Plenty done in since then, but when did you start this freshening/ frame on resto?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Mitch,

I took the car apart in late October 2009, took it to the painters in early November, and then I brought it home from the painter earlier this month. It should be finished in another week. I wouldn't have thought it possible to do a quality restoration job in only 4 months, but being retired was a big help as I was able to go to his shop and work on the car when it was apart.

Les

Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks, Scott . Next shift stuf to do: outer seat belts, door panels, door sills, arm rests, polish the dirty spokes on my Grant str. wheel, polish my TTs, and fix my new trunk light .
Anytime, man. Let me know when you need me to come by to give you a hand with the rest of the stuff.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Zero progress to report......

Well, my best laid plans to complete this restoration inside of 4 months have been postponed due to my inability to finish the car resultant from unforseen health issues .

I'm on the wait list to have my 71 year old right shoulder repaired and I was informed last week that I also have a "popeye" bicep on the same side, so named by it's odd round appearance caused by the shoulder ligament/tendon becoming detached and leaving the bicep unsupported on top. My doc tried to reassure me that it needs no repair and that Brett Favre (sp) has a similar injury.

So Scott thanks for your generous offer and I will call you for assistance after my bodyman adjusts the leaking vent windows and we can install the door panels, which should complete this phase of the resto.

Phase two will include installing my trips, and a restored 66 a/c style dash w/ integrated Vintage Air ducts and controls .

Stay tuned, Les

Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With all of your other bionic parts, this surgery should be easy for you.

I had the same torn ligament, and the fix was the same - cut it loose and forget about it. Doc said "If you were a 24 year old baseball player, then we'd see what we could do; but you'll be fine without it". I believe he said I'd loose 20% of the lifting ability.

My shoulder is still on the speedy road to recovery, and I'm still very happy to have had it done. Well, not really speedy, but still ahead of where they warned me I would be. 9 Weeks today and I'm still not allowed to use the arm muscle to lift, and the exercises are limited to pulling the arm up. I'm back to eating, typing and other things with the repaired side so I'm back to a somewhat normal existence. Still don't know how long before I can get back out in the garage.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Les, sorry to hear about the shoulder issue. I'm laid up right now too from a "bite" out of my right thumb from the cut-off wheel last Tuesday and then carpel tunnel release on the same hand Thursday morning. I'm hoping to get back to work on mine in about a week.
As always, the car is gorgeous and all the progress pics inspiring and helpful. I need to replace the same filler panel and do the same sail panel patch repair and had been looking at the Chevelle panels for a patch too. Nice to see Charles pics of those installed. Some may think it vain to post pics of our cars as we work on them but I learn a lot from what I see others do. I will know what is factory and what to do when I get to that point from this and other progress threads. Keep it up.
Too bad I live so far away or I would come help too. I'd love to come there for the weather but it's a bit far for a "day trip"....

67 GTO...Gulf Turquoise w/Black bench and 4 speed...
Follow the resto in pics here...http://s1357.beta.photobucket.com/us...28454765976114
67 Camaro ss/rs 350
66 Chevelle SS 396
70 Chevelle SS 396
Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, my best laid plans to complete this restoration inside of 4 months have been postponed due to my inability to finish the car resultant from unforseen health issues .

I'm on the wait list to have my 71 year old right shoulder repaired and I was informed last week that I also have a "popeye" bicep on the same side, so named by it's odd round appearance caused by the shoulder ligament/tendon becoming detached and leaving the bicep unsupported on top. My doc tried to reassure me that it needs no repair and that Brett Favre (sp) has a similar injury.

So Scott thanks for your generous offer and I will call you for assistance after my bodyman adjusts the leaking vent windows and we can install the door panels, which should complete this phase of the resto.

Phase two will include installing my trips, and a restored 66 a/c style dash w/ integrated Vintage Air ducts and controls .

Stay tuned, Les
Ouch!! Sorry to hear Les. Hope your back on the road soon.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Gotta stay the course......

Actually, it was my good friend Mick's (lust4speed) progress that made me realize that my surgery was overdue and well worth the downtime . Mick's reference to my bionic parts is due to my bi-lateral knee replacements, a rod in my femur, and a plate in my wrist, the last two items are due to a serious motorcycle crash while play-biking in the CA desert in 1969 .

Hang in there Mitch, and thanks for the offer of help .

Les

Last edited by wheelspin; 02-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks Great Les, look forward to seeing it sometime this summer. Hope the shoulder is healing well.

Shawn

1968 Firebird Race Car,525 CU IAll looking for low 10 second passes!
1970 442, # Matching 455, 4 Speed W-25 hood
Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Chief

Les, did you have any trouble getting the headliner thru legendary? Their website doesn't list the turquoise color for headliners that I can find. I have been struggling for years now to find a reasonably priced turquoise headliner for my '67 lemans (hardtop, or I'd try to buy your old one). Their listed price for the other colors looks good - do you know what your headliner cost thru them?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Back on light duty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecorrell View Post
Les, did you have any trouble getting the headliner thru legendary? Their website doesn't list the turquoise color for headliners that I can find. I have been struggling for years now to find a reasonably priced turquoise headliner for my '67 lemans (hardtop, or I'd try to buy your old one). Their listed price for the other colors looks good - do you know what your headliner cost thru them?

Thanks,
Lee
Lee,

I obtained my correct dark aqua headliner from SMS in Oregon. They made it up from existing inventory, and it was around $250 in 2003, iirc.

Update: My shoulder is now 7 weeks post surgery and I am working hard to restore my full range of motion, but I'm currently limited to working the injured limb w/ the good one. During my recovery period I have decided to once again pursue my long time 11 second performance objective based on SD Performance's 290 Kauffman head package and a cnc'ed Torker intake for my Shaker 455 Holley. More to follow .

Les