THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
On the main point of this thread, it's true that an auction situation itself is designed to drive up prices. No doubt about that. But to say that the auctioneers are somehow able to make the manuals more sought after than the autos by their color commentary, I don't think is correct. The bidders decide that. If there were more people out there who wanted autos, those prices would go up too. Mecum wants to sell every car at the highest possible price, that's what they do. Long before I ever even heard of Mecum or any other auction house, 4 spd muscle cars were always more sought after. That's just the way it is. Collectors want them for the value, cool factor or whatever, drivers want them for the experience. No offense to the auto guys but nobody ever looks in the car and says "wow, and it's an auto too!".
This, I can agree with to a point. The commentators for the auction are intentionally deriding the auto cars because they, themselves prefer manuals and that's what they own. They are vagrantly using the international stage to benefit from the sale of what they have in their own collections.

Perhaps most of you don't follow the auctions as frequently as I do, but if you do decide to do so, focus on the points that I am trying to make.

I mean, face it! Very few people want to drive a manual car nowadays, as evidenced by the fact that almost NO manufacturer is providing them any more. And in my mind those spending exorbitant dollars for (at the time), pos cars that everybody avoided back in the day, that NOBODY is going to actually drive TODAY, is just somebody trying to make money. It has absolutely nothing to do with "fun" factor or visceral feel. Simply a money making opportunity.

Again, my rant isn't about whether you prefer a manual vs automatic. It's about the way the auctions drive the market.

If you click on MSN and brouse the topics, you will see many stories from various sites touting the virtues of Hyundai or Kia over other makes, You see articles about JDM vehicles. You see an array of articles belittling American cars and some import ALWAYS is superior.

I know, and it applies to me as well, that some of us have a broad interest in cars, because THEY ARE CARS, but the televised auctions have become nothing more than the usual mainstrain media.

And no, it's not the auctioneers, it's the commentators that I have a problem with.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post

Again, my rant isn't about whether you prefer a manual vs automatic. It's about the way the auctions drive the market.

I understand your point.... See post #49. I think a lot of folks just checked in as this thread progressed and saw the majority of posts specifying their personal preference and got the idea that's what this thread is about.

I've known and dealt with quite a few folks that enjoy buying cars at auctions. They like to be in the spotlight and know that original four speed cars bring more money for a several reasons. Some being: original numbers cars are hard to find. They had the crap beat out of them by high school kids in the seventies and had a better chance of having damaged drive trains. They would be kept on the road with whatever parts could be used to replace the damaged engine, trans or rear end (luckily most of those blown up engine blocks, axle assemblies and transmission housings were carefully preserved so they could be reunited with their original cars during the pre-auction restoration ). Most guys that were serious about performance would probably order more performance options and most likely order a four speed as they would be a better performer with a capable driver. Automatics had higher production numbers lowering their value because they were the more sensible choice as automatic transmissions improved for a daily driver vehicle.

These guys that bid on cars want to buy the best and if they win the auction it gives them bragging rights amongst all their "friends". They know they have a car most car enthusiasts would like to have, but those folks can't have that car because they own it. Few of them will ever drive it enough to mention before they end up reselling it so they can snatch up another.... They're usually too busy at their profession to enjoy driving the car anyways. That allows them to buy more of the best and rarest.

Look at some of the bidders comments on BAT. I was reading some from a 70 TA auction that seemed to go for way too much money. Three guys bid the car up and their comments made it seem like they just finished a heavy weight bout. In reality they probably over bid for a car that has a four speed.

I find it interesting when the BJ/Mecum deal became popular, they would not allow cars to be advertised as "original" it had to be "numbers correct". Somewhere along the way "original" was allowed. I guess they figured it gave more assurance for the bidder to "bid to win".

Last edited by PAUL K; 10-21-2022 at 12:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The auction isn't driving the market. They're just stating something that's been a fact for the past 50 + years. Certain options on certain cars are more desirable to the majority. End of story.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
The auction isn't driving the market. They're just stating something that's been a fact for the past 50 + years. Certain options on certain cars are more desirable to the majority. End of story.
Correct. It's the public that drives the market. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Seems the majority of people in the market prefer certain options and will pay more for those cars. The auction houses are simply riding the wave. It is what it is.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This, I can agree with to a point. The commentators for the auction are intentionally deriding the auto cars because they, themselves prefer manuals and that's what they own. They are vagrantly using the international stage to benefit from the sale of what they have in their own collections.

Perhaps most of you don't follow the auctions as frequently as I do, but if you do decide to do so, focus on the points that I am trying to make.

I mean, face it! Very few people want to drive a manual car nowadays, as evidenced by the fact that almost NO manufacturer is providing them any more. And in my mind those spending exorbitant dollars for (at the time), pos cars that everybody avoided back in the day, that NOBODY is going to actually drive TODAY, is just somebody trying to make money. It has absolutely nothing to do with "fun" factor or visceral feel. Simply a money making opportunity.

If you click on MSN and brouse the topics, you will see many stories from various sites touting the virtues of Hyundai or Kia over other makes, You see articles about JDM vehicles. You see an array of articles belittling American cars and some import ALWAYS is superior.

I know, and it applies to me as well, that some of us have a broad interest in cars, because THEY ARE CARS, but the televised auctions have become nothing more than the usual mainstrain media.

And no, it's not the auctioneers, it's the commentators that I have a problem with.
You might want to consider applying for a position as an auction commentator if its that big of a deal to you. Be proactive and do something about it.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-22-2022, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm a little confused here....

You're saying that my '64 GTO Convertible was a POS car back in the day and nobody wanted it because it had a 4 spd?

You're saying I'm not actually going to drive it today?

I've owned my car for 30+ years and have no intention of selling it.

Why are most cars today automatics?

Because most new drivers over the last 25 years aren't car people, consider a car to be an appliance and don't even know how to drive a stick.

Those folks that enjoy cars are more prone to enjoy both automatic and manual transmission cars.

What they want for a daily driver and what they want for a weekend cruiser are two different things.

I recently was looking for a fun collector car to give our daughter for a surprise birthday present. I could have purchased an automatic car for a lower price, but I know my daughter would prefer the manual.

She's driven my '64 GTO and my wife's '72 Camaro (4spd car). When we were looking for a project Camaro for my wife in the late 90's - her stipulations (not mine) were manual transmission and V8.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Rants over.

Closed Thread