Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Default 1967 Firebird Parchment interior vs Metallic Parchement

Working with a friend on his 67 firebird convertible.
He has the deluxe interior with the molded plastic door & side panels.

The car was restored about 15 years ago, and had PUI seat covers put on at that time.
They are ok, but since he had some broken springs in his drivers seat for me to fix, I convinced him to order up new covers from Legendary since they are making them now, and their dielectric stamping is vastly superior to PUIs.

Have the covers in hand now, and they are fantastic, except they are "Metallic Parchment"
The rest of the interior is just parchment.

Is this right or did Legendary screw up. Should 67 Parchment covers be the sparkly metallic white or just white? I'm thinking they should just be plain white like the door & side panels... but looking for guidance as to what is correct as he's spending a lot to make it correct.

thanks-
Ben

Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 PM

Don't know if I would call it metallic, but the 67' Parchment had a pearlescent sheen to it......John

Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 AM

I believe the pearlescent finish you see is correct.

I recall being told years back that the early PUI reproductions did not reproduce this look properly. My knowledge is for ‘68 but I believe the OEM vinyl’s finish for ‘67 was the same as ‘68. Hope this helps.

Ron

Old 04-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Ok, that makes me feel better, but does lead me to another question... What is the correct finish for those plastic molded deluxe door/rear panels? Should they be white, or pearl white to match the vinyl?

Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM

My understanding is the white portion of the interior should have that pearl look to match the seats.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know SEM sells a pearlescent top coat. I used it on several pieces to do the color change on my interior. If the pieces look correct except for the pearlescent, maybe you could just order a can and get the look your after?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM

Im just looking for confirmation of what is correct for the car.

With those molded plastic deluxe door panels that is a rather lot of real estate to be painted, so just want to know what it should be before I advise him what we should do.

This is becoming a lot more than just swapping seat covers.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Our host also sell a parchment piant in a rattle can. I used it with a layer of Wimbledon white from Dupli color first with good success.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the SEM pearl-parchment paint on my a-pillars and the door handles. I can't say I'm really happy with the results but it may be user error. The application instructions say do very light coats - apparently less is more with their mix due to the flake. Around 20 years ago, I used a version of the paint by Ames and the results were much better, but it's no longer available.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 AM

Legendary colors are spot on. I have a original 40,000 mile 64 GTO. When I bought the car the first owner had change the front seat covers with PUI and they were brown in color, mine are gold but are called saddle. from Pontiac. Legendary didnt make that color at that time. Then one year I was at a show in PA and I was taking to the rep from Legendary . He told me they were just starting to make this color and he would send me a sample. Well he did and it was spot on to the original color. I also think I got the first set of that color from them. So if it is pearl that you got that what it should have been in the first place.Their that good. Good luck with your friends car.