Old 09-17-2000, 06:18 PM

79 TA bulds coolant pressure immediately. Not hot.455, Ross Pistons, Eagle Rods, steel crank, 6x heads extensively worked. 18lb. cap stopped but started blowing freeze plugs. May be unrelated but blew headgasket at track yesterday. No coolant coming out exhaust. Any ideas?

Old 09-17-2000, 06:18 PM

79 TA bulds coolant pressure immediately. Not hot.455, Ross Pistons, Eagle Rods, steel crank, 6x heads extensively worked. 18lb. cap stopped but started blowing freeze plugs. May be unrelated but blew headgasket at track yesterday. No coolant coming out exhaust. Any ideas?

Old 09-18-2000, 08:43 AM

it's probably the head gasket leaking into the cooling system. depending on where it let go it may never make it into the exhaust. check your oil and see if there is antifreeze in the crankcase. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-18-2000, 08:05 PM

Mike,
Thanks for the reply.There was no coolant in the oil. There was extensive head work done by Paul Spotts.I've had the motor tore down twice and noticed nothing. Block and heads were boiled out each time and found nothing. The car originally had a 403 in it and I ran it a few times just to get a baseline before we put the 455 in it. Everytime we put in coolant it acted as if the thermostat was stuck. Coolant would shoot out when running. I changed thermostats and it still did it. After every run with both motors the catch can had coolant in it. Coolant would draw back in with a cool motor as it should but if you were hot lapping you had to add coolant after 3 or 4 runs. When I first bought the car the heater core was leaking so I blocked off the lines. I didn't bother repairing it as it is a race only car. I never routed the lines into each other. I simply blocked them off. I understand that it can happen with a cracked block, head or a headgasket but I feel that is unlikely with 3 different engines in the car. It is still a possibility and since I blew a headgasket last weekend on #7 at the back of the head I'll have them checked again. Is it possible that the pump is putting out too much water pressure with the heater hose blocked off? The freeze plugs only drip when the engine is reved up. I have had trouble like this with a blockage but the parts have been boiled out. The top and bottom hose are hard so I don't think the radiator is blocked and the engine never overheats. What about taking a couple of vanes out of the water pump. I did this with a dodge I use to run but that was due to the engine running hot and we had to slow the coolant flow. I don't understand the coolant flow in a pontiac enough to know if it could be the heater hoses.

Thanks Ron
rgrong@aol.com

Old 09-19-2000, 08:37 AM

i doubt the heater hoses are the problem. it sounds as if you have either a blockage or an airflow problem. what type of fan do you run? is the engine hard blocked? if so how full? take an infered thermometer and check the radiators temp with the car running. the temps should be close to the same same temps all the way across[horizontally] when veiwed in a vertical line. you can do this with your hand if you are careful.
the outlet side will be cooler we hope. you can try connecting the hoses together and see what it does. hope this helps, mike

[This message has been edited by mike nixon (edited 09-19-2000).]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-19-2000, 09:38 AM

Ron, I have a similar problem with pressure buildup in my car. Doesn't run hot. Coolant will show up in the catch can, but be drawn back as the engine completely cools. I've checked the usual suspects like t-stat, radiator, airflow. But the only similarity between your built car and my lo-po slug is the fact that the heater hoses are blocked. I hadn't given this any consideration, but your woes have given me something to think about. I may connect the two and see what happens....I'd be interested your results, if you try it.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:14 PM

Mike,
The block is not filled and I run a thermoclutch in the fan. The temp across the radiator seems to be constant. I had a 160 thermostat in it. The only time it ever ran hot was the first weekend we ran the car. About the third pass, I blew a drive shaft. When I turned off the track I immediately turned it off. Within about a minute, the radiator started boiling over and I noticed the temp was at 200. I didn't think much of it because I had just run flat out and didn't give the motor any idle time to cool. That and an engine allways heats up some when you shut it off. Other than that it has never run hot. Always between 160 and 170. This last weekend, I took the thermostat out and the engine ran about 5 degrees warmer, but I expected that
Thanks,
Ron
rgrong@aol.com