Old 05-29-2001, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am in the process of putting my basket case
71 Trans Am back together and need doors.What years are correct?I understand they are a little different at the door handle.Please help with years and handle lengths.Thanks..

Old 05-29-2001, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am in the process of putting my basket case
71 Trans Am back together and need doors.What years are correct?I understand they are a little different at the door handle.Please help with years and handle lengths.Thanks..

Old 05-29-2001, 07:51 PM
Senior Chief

I THINK 1978 AND LATER HAVE A SHORTER HANDLE

Old 05-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the only difference is the recess below the door handle is slightly shorter in '70-'73 doors I have a '73 and a '77 and this difference is hardly noticeable.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

77 was the first year the smaller thinner handle was used. it was highly susceptible to breakage. The door handle was a bolt on. The door frame is different on the 75-up cars though. The inner door handle is rivited on and the set-up is a little different on the 75-up doors.

Old 05-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Senior Chief

I'm not sure what year they changed, but the inner door handle mounting is recessed more than later (75+?)years.the correct handle willnot fit later doors.the later style handles will not fit the door panels.someone changed the drivers door on my 73 with a later style door.looks bad with incorrect handle.
the outer door handle changed length in 79or 80 to the longer style.the door is the same.the replacement handles from gm are the longer style.

[This message has been edited by CraigGT37 (edited 05-30-2001).]