Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-15-2022, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thermal barrier sleeve

Trying something I've never used before. I've had higher fuel temps than I'd like, not enough to cause any issues, just gonna see if I can make it better. As always, as the weather warms up, we've already had some recent vapor lock threads from the carb guys. Throwing this out there as awareness, as well as to see if any of you have used something similar and your results.
They make this stuff in numerous sizes, from 1/2" to 5 or 6 inches for wrapping charge pipes. It uses Velcro sewn into the wrap to attach to itself.(I did use tie wraps on the ends where it was stretched pretty tight to cover the fittings) Mine is 1 1/2", and is wrapped on top of common 1/2" pipe insulation. I can monitor actual fuel temps, so I should be able to tell if it helps or not. I did the feed and return crossovers from the rails that are close to the intake, and especially the water crossover in front, and the return line that runs in the path of the air from the cooling fans. Also did the filter which is fairly close to the valve cover(thermal sleeve only, as this is close to 1 1/2" already)
Will report my findings, would love to hear yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_112151249_HDR.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	588781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_114233319_HDR.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	588782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_114315434_HDR.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	588783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_114327330_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	588784  

Old 04-15-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I've used a similar produce from DEI, specifically for the water sender wiring loom on my wife's former Chevelle. We had the sender in the head and was very near the header. The stuff worked great for that purpose, we never had any issue with the connector or wiring getting hot enough to melt, even being within an inch of a primary tube.

I used it on the inlet fuel hose on my Firebird when it was carbureted. I was never able to get that deal to work in temps of 70+. Adding a phenolic spacer, fuel line heat shield, phenolic fuel pump insulator was only a good enough solution to gain about 10-15 minutes of drive time before the engine would start dying at idle or low rpm cruise.

I've never had an issue after putting the FiTech on. My fuel lines aren't anywhere near heat sources though. They run up the passenger side frame rail, on the firewall where they are directed to the feed and return on the throttle body. I do utilize a heat shield wrap over the feed and return lines in the rear of the car where they pass near the tail pipes however. Probably not necessary, but I didn't want to chance it.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

I know its not a Pontiac but the fuel doesn't care what engine it is. I've seen 15+ HP gains after insulating fuel rails on my Dodge 4.7L V8 MPFI engine. 3 runs each run back to back on the same day.

Since then, I have been a firm believer in insulating fuel rails/lines.

SPEED SAFE, NICK