The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-20-2024, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 77 Trans am bumper cover prep

Need some input for my body guy on proper prep procedure on flexible front and rear bumper covers...

I have several decent candidates.....but all have been painted at least once.

He is a hot rod guy and not up to speed on plastic bumpers

Old 02-20-2024, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 77-78 bumpers are pretty easy to prep compared to the 70-73 endura bumpers. Im sure there are more ways than 1 to do it but all i did was had the skin blasted to remove all previous paint, then repaired a small tear by the bumper jack hole & a few nicks that required filler, I used SEM flex-weld product for that.

Then when it was all sanded smooth, just standard primer/sealer before base/clear, I did have the painter add some flex agent to the clear to help with assembly but probably wasnt needed. The repair & paint looks great almost 15 years later.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:52 AM

I striped my rear bumper cowl with a floor conditioner on an angle grinder previous to blasting. I notion this would store time and blasting media, but it probably screwed me BIGLY. I gouged the hell out of it. Well I assume it became me. It might have been the preceding owner due to the fact the whole thing turned into blanketed in filler. It wasn't the proper filler either. It wasn't one of the bendy variants like 3m EZ sand. Here's the harm!!!

Kodi

Old 03-09-2024, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by desko View Post
I striped my rear bumper cowl with a floor conditioner on an angle grinder previous to blasting. I notion this would store time and blasting media, but it probably screwed me BIGLY. I gouged the hell out of it. Well I assume it became me. It might have been the preceding owner due to the fact the whole thing turned into blanketed in filler. It wasn't the proper filler either. It wasn't one of the bendy variants like 3m EZ sand. Here's the harm!!!

Kodi
can see the image, requires you to download that software... you can just post the pic directly here using the manage attachment tab.

Without seeing the pic, it can probably be repaired with the right product... or just buy a decent used skin to replace it with.