Old 01-11-2000, 01:24 PM

Looking for a little info on correct engine compartment colors for a 71 Trans AM. I am going to pull my radiator to repaint it this winter. I want to use POR15 paint because I have heard it is a good product and is flexible ( hence no cracking ). My question is should the black color be flat or gloss? I am not too concerned over concours specifics but would like to keep it orginal as can be. Thanks for any help/input. I also am not against using a different paint product if it is a better fit.

Old 01-11-2000, 01:24 PM

Looking for a little info on correct engine compartment colors for a 71 Trans AM. I am going to pull my radiator to repaint it this winter. I want to use POR15 paint because I have heard it is a good product and is flexible ( hence no cracking ). My question is should the black color be flat or gloss? I am not too concerned over concours specifics but would like to keep it orginal as can be. Thanks for any help/input. I also am not against using a different paint product if it is a better fit.

Old 01-11-2000, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

60 percent egg shell black is what is correct. If you are using POR, I'd suggest the flat black. Gloss black is too much for an engine compartment. Let me know if you need any more info. Rocky

Old 04-05-2000, 11:18 PM

You could POR 15 it and then top coat within a few minutes with a black satin high temp paint. POR works great as a primer-sealer. The only rule is that you have to top coat before it cures or you'll have to rough it up.