THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Selling parts...uuggghhh

EVERYONE that calls me now for parts is interested in subtracting the cost of their trip to my house from the cost of the part. EVEN before they leave their house.

I would NEVER consider that the sellers responsibility to subsidize my project because they are 40 minutes away.

Get real!!

Rant off.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

selling is tough these days. people think a fair offer is half your asking price, even if you're asking price is reasonable.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
EVERYONE that calls me now for parts is interested in subtracting the cost of their trip to my house from the cost of the part. EVEN before they leave their house.

I would NEVER consider that the sellers responsibility to subsidize my project because they are 40 minutes away.

Get real!!

Rant off.
My reply to that call would be CLICK

Old 07-19-2015, 05:19 PM

I am having a huge problem with selling parts these days. They seem to think I do this for their benefit- like I am their no cost personal warehouse and tech guy. Only the true enthusiest seem to under stand and handle business accordingly.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cost of the trip???? really, wow never thought of that.
So if I came in from Hawaii, then you would owe me money$$$$ to buy your stuff?
there is a Big LOL on my face

Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have experienced all the above. Not sure what some people will come up with next.

Many think you should meet them half way and discount the parts.

Free Shipping is often expected these days. Last time I checked shipping isn't free!

I have had guys say to give them a break on prices so they can afford a burger on the way home, or gas money to get back home. I just laugh at this one .

It is so nice to deal with people who are serious and appreciate the time and expense it took for you to find the parts they need.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stay busy pulling parts out of tubs, boxes, and off the racks, and most sell. Most of my buyers are picky, and appreciate high quality parts, they're not newbies in the hobby or quickee flipper car builders that are trying to beat me down on what many would consider moderate pricing.

My biggest problem is can't get to everything quickly, even though a good 80% of near 4 semi loads that have stored is well organized. As such, work off a list. This time of year it's 100 degrees outside and even hotter mid day with no AC at the warehouse, i often put in hours early in the AM to beat the heat.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have that problem because I just give my parts away.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

I give away more parts then I sell. I have to sell some parts here shortly tho.

I almost never haggle when I buy. Typically I just pay what ever they're asking, unless it's unreasonable, then I don't even pursue it.

I'm just not good at haggling and stuff - I don't have time for that

Old 07-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I didn't mention above...he says...well if you are in the area at some point call me and I'll buy the parts and you can check out my Camaro.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know it's all about supply and demand. I don't really know what the market is like out there, but I do know the baby boomers are getting older, retiring, and have less money for this stuff. Makes me sad because even though it seems like the cars are getting cheaper, the guys that really appreciate them and that were around back in the heyday are harder and harder to find.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 PM

The way I look at it, is if I find a part that I really want, that's a great excuse for a trip. Some people need to get a 'deal', no matter how much they pay. When you start getting that BS on the phone, it usually continues when they arrive and it's not worth your time.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

heres how ya handle it..

when they ask for a "better deal"..or whats your bottom deal etc with out even seeing it, heres my response...and its being a dick in a nice way...

Me: Well..you may want to come look at it and might want to give me more..its been so long since ive sold stuff i may be under market...

them.....silence

Me: you want a deal..fine; spend some money with me, and the more ya buy the better the deal...i'll prob give ya the small stuff ya want....

them...uh..ok..i'll be there....

me: Bundle..whats a bundle...aint that what ya get when you buy cable and your phone plan together? im not the phone company or Walmart...you want a better deal..spend some money with me..the more ya spend..the better the deal gets..
Them...silence..stuttering..or even "click"

them: well..give me your address, when i get around to it, i'll come by...
me: when youre in the car and coming my direction, call me,,i'll give ya my address, and let you know if i'll be around..and i'm not holding anything, unless you are on your way now...
them: well..will you be there?
me: just call when you are on your way..i dont change plans for craigslisters etc..otherwise id be sitting here all day waiting to get stood up..i got sh!t to do...
them,,uh,,OK

weeds out the bullsh!tters...when they think you dont care...they come

when they cant have something they want it...etc etc

prob is, its a shame..theres good people out there..but ya have to wade thru the loosers to find them

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Naw, none of that. Toughest part is boxing it up for shipping. HIS

Old 07-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is ironic you mention this "cost of trip" thing. I just had that explained to me in selling car of how that needs to factor in to what they would pay me.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never haggle on prices of a seller. If I want the part and his price is fair, I'll pay it without questioning. If the price is more than I want to spend I have to determine how much I want it vs. trying to find another. If I really want it and it's overpriced, well that's just part of doing business in the car world.

I was selling a set of rally gauges that were 1-year only and I wanted a hefty price to go along with them since they were the second set I'd ever had. I had 2 guys call and cry about how they only wanted to spend $25 and it wasn't fair I wanted more than that. I told them when they found another set they were free to pay that (I know several are still looking 3 years later).

I'm to the point where I'd rather just toss some parts in the back of the truck when taking a load of scrap to the dump than deal with most people. Time wasters and cheapskates. I'll sell a truck load of parts wholesale to guys I know who have cash even if it's cheaper than selling the parts individually, I'd rather they go to someone who will get them into others hands with more patience than me.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I'm to the point where I'd rather just toss some parts in the back of the truck when taking a load of scrap to the dump than deal with most people. Time wasters and cheapskates. I'll sell a truck load of parts wholesale to guys I know who have cash even if it's cheaper than selling the parts individually, I'd rather they go to someone who will get them into others hands with more patience than me.
I feel your pain.

I had a bunch of sheet metal stored at my mom's property for years. She passed last year, so I had to move it out so the estate could be settled. I had a lot of 70-74 Firebird, 71-72 GTO, and late 60s/early 70s big car stuff. I took apart a bunch of big cars for the 428s and 455s over the years, and stored good sheet metal.

I know the big car stuff isn't worth that much, so I put it on Craigslist hoping some local people needed some of it. I couldn't believe some of the crap these guys would come up with. I did sell a few items, but in the end I just hauled a lot of it to the scrap yard.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So much of the late '60's on B series parts that have been truly desirable and hard to find in really nice condition, you can pull those select parts, properly store the parts so there is no damage, and when you do get inquiry's if you have said parts, get the same old song and dance about how B series aren't worth anything which basically amts to how you as a seller practically need to give away the said part. For that reason, once I cleared out the last NOS bezels, trinkets, and select trim I'd come up over the years for late '60's on B series, I quit pursuing B series parts of that era. On B series partscars, Id rather part out this era of B series for specialty core parts, parts that will interchange with other bodystyles, where there is a higher need, then fill the body's up with scrap and haul em across the scale.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure most people think I'm a dickhead hard ass because I'm cut & dry... I don't take or put up with peoples bullsh**... If I smell bullsh**... I call them out on it... I don't like flakey shakey or wishy washy...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Senior Chief

I live about an hour from a city of about 3/4 million people. Guys call me and give me that "costs too much" or "too long a drive" bla bla bla. I just ignore those types and if someone does actually drive out and negotiates with me, I osometimes tell them I appreciate that they didn't just waste my time, then give them a little bit of a cut on the price. If they drive out and then give me a sob story or an attitude, I nicely let them know they just wasted some time and gas. Usually if they drive an hour, they already had their mind made up to buy before they left home.