EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 07-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default FYI on EFI

Ran across this new product release today and thought I'd share. I have no affiliation other than using their products successfully, and liking them.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ampd-microsquirt/
This is a pretty useful product for those that are into or thinking of getting into fully programmable efi.
It will support a V8 using batch fire, wasted coil on plug or coil near plug, or you could control a distributor, but that leaves you with some of the limitations of a distributor...
It would support sequential spark, batch fuel on a 4 cylinder (thinking of you Charlie) also has a built in channel for a flex fuel sensor, so you could run E85 or regular gasoline with no (or little) extra tuning.
Its not limited to port injection, you could use it to control throttle body mounted injectors if thats your thing. Tunerstudio offers self tuning so there's that, as well as Megalog Viewer can self tune from your logs.
Its a powerful compact ecu, looks like price is $418 with 8ft amp seal connector pigtail. If I had another car to convert, I'd be looking hard at this.
Hope someone finds it helpful, or at least interesting.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

That's pretty cool.

This ecu does slightly more than a FiTech/Sniper ECU and it's cheaper. Go to FiTech and try to just get the ecu, it'll set you back around $450.00

For the DIY'er you could probably put together an entry level port system with wasted spark pretty easily and for about the cost of the basic FiTech/Sniper.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been looking at Micro Squirt for quite a while now. They make a plug and play deal for my sons fox body mustang that's been out for several years, getting rid of the antiquated chip burn deal from Moates and making tuning so much easier.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its a versatile set up. The flex deal puts it over the top of most of the cheaper stuff. IMHO

Old 07-15-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The new Microsquirt is definitely a good thing! It'll cover many simple EFI conversions but the software side of things is still lacking IMO. As much as I love Megasquirt stuff, I've decided to pull all of the Megasquirt gear out of my car and going Haltech now. I've always wanted drive-by-wire without having to run another box and with DBW, brake switch for the converter and a vehicle speed sensor, I can setup a cruise control with the tick of a button which would be super cool considering i'm trying to set the car up for our Drag Challenge event (like Drag Week in the US). Now that Haltech can control a 4L80e via an IO box dedicated to the trans, that was the point that forced my decision.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haltech definitely makes some nice stuff. However... thats completely apples and oranges. Good luck with your new project though. Hopefully you'll post up the process of changing and progress here.
ETA I agree that the software isn't everything it could be.(though not due to drive by wire, that makes me nervous even on the factory vehicles that have had a gazillion $$ invested in making it right). My opinion is that the scope remains too broad. If they'd commit one product to one segment and make the software fit, I believe they could outdo anyone in their various price points. The all things to all people approach is holding them back.

Last edited by Scott65; 07-15-2021 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-2021, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisr View Post
The new Microsquirt is definitely a good thing! It'll cover many simple EFI conversions but the software side of things is still lacking IMO. As much as I love Megasquirt stuff, I've decided to pull all of the Megasquirt gear out of my car and going Haltech now. I've always wanted drive-by-wire without having to run another box and with DBW, brake switch for the converter and a vehicle speed sensor, I can setup a cruise control with the tick of a button which would be super cool considering i'm trying to set the car up for our Drag Challenge event (like Drag Week in the US). Now that Haltech can control a 4L80e via an IO box dedicated to the trans, that was the point that forced my decision.
Are you going with the Elite 950? I've had my eye on that for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Haltech definitely makes some nice stuff. However... thats completely apples and oranges. Good luck with your new project though. Hopefully you'll post up the process of changing and progress here.
ETA I agree that the software isn't everything it could be.(though not due to drive by wire, that makes me nervous even on the factory vehicles that have had a gazillion $$ invested in making it right). My opinion is that the scope remains too broad. If they'd commit one product to one segment and make the software fit, I believe they could outdo anyone in their various price points. The all things to all people approach is holding them back.
I pretty much agree with this. I start looking at the Megasquirt stuff and I just feel like I'd be paying for a lot of features I just don't need or want.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's been some discussion recently on MSEXTRA forums about more targeted firmware which would allow the end user to pick a more focused version to their end use. Not sure if it will happen though. The people at the top seem pretty attached to their original idea. Don't get me wrong, it does everything I need and more and I've found it relatively easy to use(and that could be a selling point if they knew my experience level when I started!), and reliable.
And the original intent of this post is still valid, it's a great product by comparison in its price range.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Are you going with the Elite 950? I've had my eye on that for a while.
Elite 2500 - DBW is a feature that is important to me. It'll use a few extra inputs (4x TPS inputs vs 1) but the safety element is also a huge one for me. One of the scenarios that we all may or may not have faced is a stuck throttle, with DBW unless all of the TPS sensors match, the engine cuts out, meaning if your throttle is stuck open but there's no throttle input, the system detects an issue and stops or turns on limp mode. Plus something is kinda cool about cruise control in an old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
There's been some discussion recently on MSEXTRA forums about more targeted firmware which would allow the end user to pick a more focused version to their end use. Not sure if it will happen though. The people at the top seem pretty attached to their original idea. Don't get me wrong, it does everything I need and more and I've found it relatively easy to use(and that could be a selling point if they knew my experience level when I started!), and reliable.
And the original intent of this post is still valid, it's a great product by comparison in its price range.
Don't get me wrong, I think James and Ken have done a fab job with the software so far, but they are only 2 guys who do this on the side. I didn't mention it before, but the other part of my reasoning to go Haltech was when you're looking at the MS3Pro range, the hardware is great, but it's starting to get into the same price point as other systems out there and the software is miles behind simply because there's only 2 guys cutting the code in their spare time. When the system was more DIY and MS2/MS3 were a few hundred bucks, updates every 6'ish months, even if half of the update contained bug fixes, you can live with, but when an MS3Pro Ultimate is around $1500 USD and the software is the same as a system that costs a few hundred, looking at alternatives is a no brainer IMO. Another issue I heard a year or 2 ago, the MS3 platform is running out of space to code new features too, so a "pick your adventure" type firmware makes sense if the features are modular and you only flash in what you want but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Last edited by krisr; 07-16-2021 at 09:36 PM.