Old 11-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Runs nice. ;-)

Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

*laughing*

what do your neighbors think of the reprobate?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just another former juvenile (now adult) delinquent. The neighborhood is full of us. :-)

Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good. life's too short to deal with the stick-in-rectum types.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Runs nice. ;-)

Next time, use a little more brake, really explore the limits of the tires.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some better photos of the actual installed system. It was put on by the guys at Pypes. Their location is relatively close to me. They do great work!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have thought they would have used a 4 post lift with skinny gutter ramps, to keep the suspension loaded. When we did exhaust at the dealership every car went up at least twice on the 2 post lifts. Looks good though, they have to cut the pipes at the muffler?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Runs nice. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post

Next time, use a little more brake, really explore the limits of the tires.
Just watched the video for 1st time - excellent BTW!

Quote:
Here are some better photos of the actual installed system. It was put on by the guys at Pypes. Their location is relatively close to me. They do great work!

Nice Steve! Couple of Q's:

What / Where did you source the tailpipes above - Pypes or are they an OEM, or? Part #'s please? (Cause Daddy Likes! ) Any details and pix of the various pipe hangers (any like OEM tailpipe area w rubber for example?) used?

Serious...having lived up in the rust belt, whatta you going to use to coat those pristine floorboards to keep from flash rust? Spray oil or?

Thx for the updates, pix, and videos. Love them all!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the compliments. :-)

Pypes makes two stainless steel tips, a long style (the ones on the car) and a shorter style for the 1970 to 1976 F-bodies. The part numbers are:

http://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200779-7...ort-evt59.html

http://pypesexhaust.com/i-13475101-6...ong-evt58.html

The system used the factory rear tailpipe hangers on the tail pipes at the frame rail. The Pypes mechanic (Mike) fabricated some nice hanger tabs that slid into the factory hangers above the fuel tank. I absolutely hate when people use those rubber strap hangers and screw a horrible giant sheetmetal screw into pristine rear floor boards. Thankfully, Mike knew what I was looking for and fabricated a simple solution which was welded to the upper pipes next to the muffler. I told him they should offer those hanger tabs as a service part.

As for the underside, that is the original condition which is rather remarkable for a NY City rustbelt car. My grandfather used to wash his cars (this one and his 1971 Lincoln which we also have) immediately after returning home on any trip, any time of the year. He was a very conscientious and dedicated gentleman.

Gramma's car will need some new fuel lines and rear brakes lines as one of the next projects. They are rather crusty at the rear of the car. 1975 is a weird year to find fuel lines for. The rear brakes and the 3/8 fuel line go up the driver's side while the two vent lines (3/8 and 1/4) go up the passenger side.

It also needs the bottom of the rear valance tail panel reconstructed. I already bought the rear support panel ($89), next I have to buy the actual repro full tail panel ($300+). It's a shame because all I need is the bottom couple inches of both to make the patch panels for the right and left sides.

Last edited by njsteve; 11-19-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:

Pypes makes two stainless steel tips, a long style (the ones on the car) and a shorter style. The part numbers are:

As for the underside, that is the original condition which is rather remarkable for a NY City rustbelt car. My grandfather used to wash his cars (this one and his 1971 Lincoln which we also have) immediately after returning home on any trip, any time of the year. He was a very conscientious and dedicated gentleman.

Gramma's car will need some new fuel lines and rear brakes lines as one of the next projects. They are rather crusty at the rear of the car. 1975 is a weird year to find fuel lines for. The rear brakes and the 3/8 fuel line go up the driver's side while the two vent lines (3/8 and 1/4) go up the passenger side.

It also needs the bottom of the rear valance tail panel reconstructed. I already bought the rear support panel ($89), next I have to buy the actual repro full tail panel ($300+). It's a shame because all I need is the bottom couple inches of both to make the patch panels for the right and left sides.
I was just reading in Melvin's Trans Am Restoration Book @ Barnes & Noble last week the 1978 Formula Martini Blu repair of that rear valance area that included many color detailed photos.

That 1971 Lincoln IIRC is a Town Car yes? Any link to that one? BF in schools father's daily driver was a Triple-White '72 or ''73 that we often took trips from Caselton-on-the-Hudson to Boston, NYC, etc. down 9H, Taconic State Parkway, etc. often in the winter... Was one businessman who never used the brake, jumped on the gas etc. That was "our job" and was always amazing to see the pink-white-purple-blue exhaust gas when we opened up that 460 @ WOT

BTT : posted the restoration book cover I mentioned in case you want to purchase a copy, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_35.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	413758  

Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Lincoln is actually a Golden Anniversary Continental. One of 1,040 built. My Grandfather was one of the greatest generation members. He started work as an accountant in the 1920's and over fifty years worked his way up to be the Vice President of ABC Television. After he retired he was on the Board of Directors. The Lincoln was given to him as his "gold watch" when he retired in 1972. He used it to commute from Eastchester NY to NYC every day. Back then, New York TV execs had special licence plates. He had TV-77 which was THE plate to have.

Here's a link to the Lincoln:
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...a-l#Post539151
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010390a.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	413759   Click image for larger version

Name:	71 Continental.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	413760  

Last edited by njsteve; 11-19-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Pypes mechanic (Mike) fabricated some nice hanger tabs that slid into the factory hangers above the fuel tank. I absolutely hate when people use those rubber strap hangers and screw a horrible giant sheetmetal screw into pristine rear floor boards. Thankfully, Mike knew what I was looking for and fabricated a simple solution which was welded to the upper pipes next to the muffler. I told him they should offer those hanger tabs as a service part.
Inline Tubes sells these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=201121786313

Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Suspended

I can't watch the video , What do I need to do ?? It keeps taking me to a post to sign up for something. ??

Old 11-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I can't watch the video , What do I need to do ?? It keeps taking me to a post to sign up for something. ??
Try this .
http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/nj...macar.mp4.html

Old 11-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
The Lincoln is actually a Golden Anniversary Continental. One of 1,040 built. My Grandfather was one of the greatest generation members. He started work as an accountant in the 1920's and over fifty years worked his way up to be the Vice President of ABC Television. After he retired he was on the Board of Directors. The Lincoln was given to him as his "gold watch" when he retired in 1972. He used it to commute from Eastchester NY to NYC every day. Back then, New York TV execs had special licence plates. He had TV-77 which was THE plate to have.

Here's a link to the Lincoln:
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...a-l#Post539151
Thx for the link...read from start to end...excellent reading and historic pix!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a present for Gramma's car. NORWOOD, a member here, reproduces several Firebird-only parts. One of them is the set of correct steel grills for the 1970 to 1975 Ram Air hoods. Just got them today and installed them. I even had some of the correct shouldered hex screws in my box-o-bolts, for the installation

The grill actually slides into place from underneath into preexisting slots in the hood. Two screws are then fastened into two molded-in bosses. They hold the grills in place from the bottom.

A face only a Grandson could love. (The 74-75 cars seems to be the least adored noses of the entire 1970 to 1981 line)

Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:

Pypes makes two stainless steel tips, a long style (the ones on the car) and a shorter style for the 1970 to 1976 F-bodies. The part numbers are:

The system used the factory rear tailpipe hangers on the tail pipes at the frame rail. The Pypes mechanic (Mike) fabricated some nice hanger tabs that slid into the factory hangers above the fuel tank. I absolutely hate when people use those rubber strap hangers and screw a horrible giant sheetmetal screw into pristine rear floor boards. Thankfully, Mike knew what I was looking for and fabricated a simple solution which was welded to the upper pipes next to the muffler. I told him they should offer those hanger tabs as a service part.

I hate to say it but those tips look short for a 74-75. They should come out to where the rear bumper starts to roll under. If you were to lay a straight edge on the rear bumper under the black strip it should almost lay over the exhaust tips as well.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I compared them to my SD's original tips and they are the same length. The pipes themselves may end earlier than the stock over-the-axle pipes, which may account for thier different exit position of the tips.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your SD is a 73 which has shorter tips than a 74. They look like 73 tips on the car. Not criticizing here Steve. I made the same mistake when I put the Pypes system on my 74. I ended up buying the longer tip and installing those.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since it was a record 70 degrees here today, after working on the cars and cleaning the garage, I decided to get a photo of our two