Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Estimated completion date: June 18 2017
Is that your birthday, Norwood? :-)

I am aiming for a lot quicker, since it's a nice running, reasonably complete car now. (Gee, we havent heard THAT statement before, from me)

I just have to find a dependable body/paint person that is local. Sadly, that could take years!

Can anybody recommend someone in NJ or Eastern, PA?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
absolutely killer. congrats on such a great car. what are your plans for it??
I'm going to drive it this summer and get the bugs out. While I'm doing that I'll locate body parts. I need to find trunk drop offs and possibly right side inner wheel wells, or maybe a rust free rear clip to cut parts from.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Oops - forgot to mention an error on that 2011 GM of CA doc - no 95 amp alternators were used on '72s. That would be an 80 amp piece since it's an air car with electric RW defroster.
Does Z-49 answer that Lloyd?
I have seen HD battery, more antifeeeze, and hotter plugs put on many Canadian and Northern cars, wonder if the alt falls into this with all the options?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, Great FIND! Grats!! On the outside, looks scary like my car!
I would find someone with an outside 4 post lift and rent a steam cleaner for that rear frame stuff. You will know quick whats what that way.
Is that the original air cleaner with dual "heatrisers"?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Does Z-49 answer that Lloyd?
I have seen HD battery, more antifeeeze, and hotter plugs put on many Canadian and Northern cars, wonder if the alt falls into this with all the options?
I think the more recent version of the GM of Canada docs must be mistakenly cross referencing option codes to newer options. Since on the 1993 record K65 is the "unitized ignition" which mysteriously changes to K65 "95 amp alternator" in the 2011 version.

Wasn't the compact spare an option? Or did it come with Formula?

Last edited by njsteve; 04-10-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Canadian invoice.

All the cars shipped to Canada have GM of Canada in Oshawa. This was done for Customs purposes and if you run a US PHS, it will show GM of Canada on that paperwork also. The actual paperwork you get from PHS is a US Customs export document. The Canadian PHS shows the selling dealer on their paperwork.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got this great info from a member over on the Yenko.net site, where I have the sister thread to this one:

"In talking to Steve, he suggested I add this to the thread.

I think I remember this car from London, Ontario. The LMP dealership on Richmond St. was pretty well known. I used to ride my bicycle by there, with my best friend, on the way to our favorite hobby shop, back around 1974-1975.

My dad was an exec at GM's Diesel Division in London Ontario from 1973-1977. He special ordered a new 1974 Trans Am 455 (Buccaneer Red) for his 3-month/3,000 mile company car. My oldest brother began street racing that brand new 74 Trans Am 455. While I was young at the time, I recall my brothers always talking about a black Formula (without spoiler) as they cruised the 74 Trans Am around London (Dundas Street being the center of the cruise scene). I remember them chatting abut various cars they would see every weekend, and they used to mention this black Formula they'd see now and then. I remember back then, as my brothers were teenagers, it was memorable when someone would give them a wave as they passed. That made them feel really cool. Anyway, I remember they said that one Sunday afternoon, the "guy in the black Formula" gave them a wave as he passed them on Richmond Street heading into the city.

As a sidenote, my brothers ended up getting busted at Airport Rd. in London one night, when about 30 cars were there watching street races. The London police broke them all up, but gave a written warning to my oldest brother. I guess seeing a teenager in a brand new red 1974 Trans Am was an easy target. That was the end of my dad bringing home "cool cars". From then on it was Oldsmobiles and Buicks for his executive ordered drivers.

I believe all the Pontiacs destined for Canada were billed to "GM Of Canada" (at least the invoices I've seen). I attached an invoice of a 1971 Judge 4-speed for reference.

Again, cool car Steve, and a great find!"

Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a cool Formula!

Lloyd said:
Quote:
Oops - forgot to mention an error on that 2011 GM of CA doc - no 95 amp alternators were used on '72s. That would be an 80 amp piece since it's an air car with electric RW defroster.
The K65 was the unitized distributor.
Which the 93 form shows correctly.

Interesting that GM of Canada changed their 'looks' since the 1993 sheet.
(and info)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 AM

Wow,

what a great car! I'm looking forward to the fall project.
One thing that kind of caught my eye is that the temperature sending unit is on the manifold and not the head.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your car was in London in 79/80, I wonder how close I came to seeing it (if I did, I don't remember). I dated a girl down there when I had my 69 and later, my 70.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, neat car!

http://www.sdperformance.com/

Drag racing. An adrenalin rush like no other. It felt like going into combat, tasting your first beer, and losing you virginity, all in about 8 seconds.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mullin View Post
One thing that kind of caught my eye is that the temperature sending unit is on the manifold and not the head.
Yes, you are right. The 72-only vacuum temp sender unit should be in that spot and the guage temp sending unit should be in the left cylinder head (which currently has a screw in plug in that spot)

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If in London, I ran beside that car with my Older brothers White 74 455 Formula heading west to London from Mississauga on the 401 for all both cars were worth LOL....

We bought our 74 Formula from "Milton Motors" back in the day and they had a great mechanic at the dealership that was all about these cars (he had a 73SD TA himself)... He was a HP freak swore the White 74 was a factory screw up because it ran (in his words not mine) harder than his SD.... I know we ran a lot of cars that we should have had our asses handed to us,,,, and came out on top much to our own surprise,,, but that black Formula left a lasting impression on me....

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to be Christmas in MAY in New Jersey!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz2 View Post
If in London, I ran beside that car with my Older brothers White 74 455 Formula heading west to London from Mississauga on the 401 for all both cars were worth LOL....

We bought our 74 Formula from "Milton Motors" back in the day and they had a great mechanic at the dealership that was all about these cars (he had a 73SD TA himself)... He was a HP freak swore the White 74 was a factory screw up because it ran (in his words not mine) harder than his SD.... I know we ran a lot of cars that we should have had our asses handed to us,,,, and came out on top much to our own surprise,,, but that black Formula left a lasting impression on me....
This is amazing, a bunch of stories of the evil black formula from London Ontario are starting to come out of the woodwork!

The guy who owned it from 1972 to 1985 was a lawyer with the last name of Nursey, who worked out of a law firm on King Street. Maybe he was trying to drum up some business with you traffic law violaters! ;-)

Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good stuff!!!!!

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=684974

This was the Car I first THOUGHT u got Steve ...this one also terrorized the streets of London.....along with a JUDGE....
The Formy was sold to someone in the Toronto area apparently back in January or so I think
Lady owned and was a 2 owner car till she sold it.....I was next in line to Purchase it but the owner kept her word for the first guy to look at it and he bought her..
Sorry Steve didn't mean to Jack the thread...When I first saw this thread I thought it was this car but then Realized yours was a 4 gear and a 72...

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So Steve......I guess you're out of the market for an SD.
Super nice find you have there.
Hey Lloyd, I could use one of those POA valves.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, with what I got for the T/A, I could have bought a 73 SD in need of some work but I would not have had anything left to work on it...and you all know how I tinker.

This car popped up last summer and I PM'd Grant on it back in July but he never got the PM til just recently. And when he responded positively a few weeks ago, I just had to jump on it. It was an expensive car but now I have some money left over to do the paint and repairs.

Larry, I am still trying to sell that darned Hemi so I can buy your car...maybe it will happen one of these days!