Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 AM

Default stuff sure adds up....

well, bodywork is coming along nicely on my 63, so now I'm starting to add up what I need to buy by the time its on the road HOPEFULLY late spring '07...lots of relatively cheap stuff...then I start adding all the "cheap stuff" together and I'm realising that lots of cheap items sure can turn into one big total...
i need: carpet, ($150 ish)
sound deadener (100-ish)
headliner (150-ish)
new "body by fisher" panels (50-ish)
of course, you got all the primer, paint and clearcoat i'll need (600 - ish?) i dunno..)
plus, cant have a pretty car sound like turd...need exhaust (400-ish)
stereo (500 - ish)
and then, need a nice engine - dress up kit, (250-ish)
mags would be nice- (600 - ish)
all new weatherstripping - (300-ish)
window tint...(who knows?)
what am I at? like 3100?
yeah, that'll do it...yeah, right....
on the plus side, I should have the nicest car at school when all is said and done...probably the smallest wallet though...ahh, the magic of cars...

Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Chief

Going through pretty much the same process with my wagon. The old car parts bandits seem to have set a $100 minimum cost to weed out the weak. A few years back when I was building a 59 Ford Panel truck I remarked to a vendor that his product, which was required to make the AOD trannie work, was pricey. He told me that men building hot rods have no right to complain about the price of anything. If I wanted something cheap I should have bought a Geo. Now I just cash in my recyclable bottles and roll coins to buy the "little things". Haven't had to start mowing lawns yet. I'm just glad my wife philosophically supports my hobby.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buy the things you need first, like weatherstripping, exhaust, carpet. Engine dress up kits, can wait. Do some nice detail work with paint, untill you save the cash.

This is one of the reasons alot of us, say our projects are never done. Cash and other priorties get in the way. A couple years go by, and those Mag Rims we really wanted, are not as appealing anymore, and you think of buying something different, or changing the way you did something back then.

That's the spirit of the enthusiast that likes to drive thier cars as well as show them off.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

I refer to mine as "The Neverending Project"...lol..

It does add up...the best way is to not rush things if you have a tight budget. Like mean says do the things that need first not necessarily what you want. Bolt on type dress up stuff is easy to do and a can of paint or just cleaning good can do wonders until then.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM

well, i;m actually not too concerned bout $$...over the past year, I've been invsting all my cash into cars, buying and selling, eventually turned $500 into a '91 4x4 explorer...plan is to sell the explorer in the fall, and take all that cash to by most of what I need...
glad to see i'm not the only one with this problem

Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are so many ways to look at it. If you went out & bought a typical fun car that was 'turn key', you'd likely pay a bunch. I look at mine like financing one I bought that was ready to go. Just come up with what you are willing to pay a month, & spend that on your Pontiac project like you would if you went to a dealer or a bank. No comparison to the $ you throw away in that whole process.

For me it is much better than being on the continuous hunt for the car you want. When you are building your own, you are always making headway to having a great car.

In the end there is little as satisfying as having a ride you know is as good as you could possibly make it. And likely getting better all the time.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, all I had to do was look at the title for this one and a I thought ....YEP!
All in all, really, you couldn't buy a turn key one for that. Second, did you buy it for an investment or to have fun with? Third, you're definately not in this one alone. These cars will definately nickel and dime you to death, but at least it's a fun death!! and we're all in there with you on it.

-r-

Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM

it was bought off of (very cheaply) my parents...i'll never sell it once its finsished, very sentimental...for numerous reasons...
actually, probably could buy a turn-key driver for $3200..my car is just a lowly canadian parisienne, they aren't worth what they should be...lol..dont get me wrong, I really enjoy spending money on this car...not to mention the blood, sweat and tears going into it...strange thing is, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and all I can think of is "on my next project, i'm gonna do this and this and this different......."
all in all I'm gonna have about 1.5 years into the body/interior, as I have had to learn everything as I go...and really I can't think of a better way to spend that much time

Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It's cheaper than a car payment

I still don't how my car will end up.

When I started the 64 GP, I just wanted a cool, old car and I found one. I live in SoCal and there are so many good candidates here. It's so damn hot now that I can only read the webstuff.

It's been 3 years and now it looks ok, but it needs a hell of a lot more.

I bought a Muncie last night on ebay. I picked it up today. If I do that I will need pedals, linkageand and overpriced console.

The posters on this thread know that I have been going in 3 directions with this tranny thing. I recognize the posters and "Thanks to all".

I've gone from wanting to keep the roto, to wanting to install a th400, to buying a Muncie and needing a lot of stuff to make that happen.

To tanksta, kraut and deadhead, thanks for the replies. To the kid, damn we'll get these thing running right someday. I've got 3 years, $$$, and now teenagers approaching driving age, invested into the GP. I'm hiding the keys. I sold my Sportster to help pay for it.

Just venting and waiting for the electric bill,
Greg

Old 10-29-2006, 02:42 AM

haha heres a little update on my '63...almost done the body work, should be priming in the next 2 weeks, all things considered/depending...gettin' excited!!! long time since i started, and i can finally start to see the finsihed product...turned out to be alot bigger project then i anticipated, as iended up switching interiors, etc.etc....
and, surpirsingly, (not) my earlier guess at how much $$ i got left to spend, was off by around 1000...typical i know...but so far, have got some great deals that will sure improve my car...so far, in the last 2 months, have spent just over 2k on it...purchased, to date:
nice set of cragar ss mags ($200 off a friend)
stereo (jvc touchscreen deck, alpine 6x9's, kicker 3.5's) $600
exhaust (brand new side pipes, EBAY ROCKS!!) $300
carpet (ebay also) $200
sill plates (ebay too, awesome quality) $80
all my paint/primer/clear/etc. $500

STILL NEED TO PURCHASE...
weatherstripping (400-ish)
headliner (100)
gauges (350)
carpet underlay (50)
window tint when time comes..(??)
get exhaust hooked up (round 100)
and get interior panels redone (400)

all in all i think i'm doing real good...goal is still to have her done by late spring..i.e. reassembled and everything....but either way, needs to be roadworthy by june 17th...(grad) which is my ultimate goal...will still need odds andends, but thats the stuff i want done for then...funds are sure startin' to run low tho, haha....colors ended up choosing, are 2004 ford performance white, and 2004 ford sonic blue...

Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregneun
I still don't how my car will end up.

When I started the 64 GP, I just wanted a cool, old car and I found one. I live in SoCal and there are so many good candidates here. It's so damn hot now that I can only read the webstuff.

It's been 3 years and now it looks ok, but it needs a hell of a lot more.

I bought a Muncie last night on ebay. I picked it up today. If I do that I will need pedals, linkageand and overpriced console.

The posters on this thread know that I have been going in 3 directions with this tranny thing. I recognize the posters and "Thanks to all".

I've gone from wanting to keep the roto, to wanting to install a th400, to buying a Muncie and needing a lot of stuff to make that happen.

To tanksta, kraut and deadhead, thanks for the replies. To the kid, damn we'll get these thing running right someday. I've got 3 years, $$$, and now teenagers approaching driving age, invested into the GP. I'm hiding the keys. I sold my Sportster to help pay for it.

Just venting and waiting for the electric bill,
Greg
Dam right they are pricy!
Since 96% of Grand Prix's were automatics.
I think I have one of them Pricy consoles. Missing the base plastic.
(Base Plastic is being repro'ed)
I also should have all the linkage from pedals to bellhouseing and bellhousing.
Just ask Mr Wood.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me throw this in to put it into perspective.

I've had my '66 Bonneville 4dr for 7 years. Paid around $2k for it in 1999. Had the body redone and painted in 2000. Literally had the exhaust done like 5 times to get the sound I wanted so who knows how much that cost. Numerous upgrades and repairs to the motor. I bet I've got over $15k in a car that is presently worth about $3k tops and when I get back to SC Im doing the body and paint again and rebuilding the transmission. So what it boils down to, if you love a car like I love my car then $ is no object. I'll never ever see that $ again but I don't care cause that car is everything to me.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Bonneville Joe is absolutely right. A quick accounting of what I have into just the engine and transmission (which still aren't installed!) more than doubles the value of my wagon. You just gotta want to keep making these cars better. When my wife asks "when will you be done with this car ?", my answer is usually "never". Bringing an old car back sure beats watching television.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default revisiting the post

I went with the Th400. Now I need dollars for the exhaust change. We put in a crossmember from a '71, or so, Olds. It was shorter, so we bridged the gaps with plate steel.

Carry on and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM

This is like Darksider group therapy.....I love it! Let me throw my two cents in here....ha,ha!!! About a year and a half ago, I bought two '66 2+2s in order to make one. I took the body and chassis from one car, and the 421 motor from the other. Excluding all the shipping costs which were steep ($3k-ish), I spent $7000.00. I made no money on the rust bucket I pulled the 421 from, but it was a complete, running, numbers-correct motor. What is that worth to someone?! Ask the guy who spends $1500 on a 421 "block-o-rust" and feels damn glad to have found it. Since then, I have spent an additional $2500 on sheet metal, weatherstripping, machine work, ect. The engine is only a quarter of the way done (with $5k-ish to go), and the frame-off restoration work is barely underway. Luckily, my original interior will need very little except new carpet (w/lining and sound-deadening), headliner, and package tray for sure. Add $2000. Then there is the body work....my busted ass! It'll take me a year or two just to do the welding (trunk and rear quarter rust) and paint prep. After the Cameo Ivory paint, black vinly top, and clearcoats, add another $8000. Four disc brakes all around, add $2000. New headers, exhaust, gas tank, and radiator, add $3000 more! Wheels and tires? Add another $2000! Now consider all of the belts, hoses, fasteners, plugs, bulbs, screws, bolts, nuts, and various other doo-dads......add another $2000 easy. Now add An additional $2000 for the "ah-****" that is sure to happen somewhere along the way. I have just spent $36,000 to resurrect one of 6,283 1966 Pontiac 2+2s. The car is now exactly the way I want it. I know everything about it. There is NOTHING about this car that I am not intimately familiar with, and expertly qualified to repair and yak about. The car is in pristine condition. I turn the key, and the 421 roars to life! I drive down the street, and I turn the clock back to 1966, and turn heads on every corner. Is it worth the money? Are you kidding?! Of course it is! Every red Indian-head cent! Somewhere right about now, I need to mention the word "priceless", and just shut the hell up. Whew....I feel better!

born11bravo

1966 Pontiac 2+2, 421/400, 3.23, street
Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by born11bravo
This is like Darksider group therapy.....I love it! Let me throw my two cents in here....ha,ha!!! About a year and a half ago, I bought two '66 2+2s in order to make one. I took the body and chassis from one car, and the 421 motor from the other. Excluding all the shipping costs which were steep ($3k-ish), I spent $7000.00. I made no money on the rust bucket I pulled the 421 from, but it was a complete, running, numbers-correct motor. What is that worth to someone?! Ask the guy who spends $1500 on a 421 "block-o-rust" and feels damn glad to have found it. Since then, I have spent an additional $2500 on sheet metal, weatherstripping, machine work, ect. The engine is only a quarter of the way done (with $5k-ish to go), and the frame-off restoration work is barely underway. Luckily, my original interior will need very little except new carpet (w/lining and sound-deadening), headliner, and package tray for sure. Add $2000. Then there is the body work....my busted ass! It'll take me a year or two just to do the welding (trunk and rear quarter rust) and paint prep. After the Cameo Ivory paint, black vinly top, and clearcoats, add another $8000. Four disc brakes all around, add $2000. New headers, exhaust, gas tank, and radiator, add $3000 more! Wheels and tires? Add another $2000! Now consider all of the belts, hoses, fasteners, plugs, bulbs, screws, bolts, nuts, and various other doo-dads......add another $2000 easy. Now add An additional $2000 for the "ah-****" that is sure to happen somewhere along the way. I have just spent $36,000 to resurrect one of 6,283 1966 Pontiac 2+2s. The car is now exactly the way I want it. I know everything about it. There is NOTHING about this car that I am not intimately familiar with, and expertly qualified to repair and yak about. The car is in pristine condition. I turn the key, and the 421 roars to life! I drive down the street, and I turn the clock back to 1966, and turn heads on every corner. Is it worth the money? Are you kidding?! Of course it is! Every red Indian-head cent! Somewhere right about now, I need to mention the word "priceless", and just shut the hell up. Whew....I feel better!
Yeah, whew! is right. Think of all the REAL trouble you/we could get into by spending that $ on something other than Pontiacs. Like maybe a wooden boat or __________.

Like Jeff said long ago, our wives should all be glad we have chosen this to get into trouble with instead of something else.

It is so gratifying whenever a project or part of one is finished & you can enjoy what you have accomplished.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 10-31-2006, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautwolf
... Bringing an old car back sure beats watching television.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I will be in the driveway scrubbing crud off of an oil pan, and think the same thing ... of course the kids in there playing their Playstation think I'm nuts, but they'll get it, someday ...

Old 11-01-2006, 12:32 AM

if you think one is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ try owning several, all in various stages of resto.

i started on my 68 gto because i couldn't find parts for the 72 g/p. then along came a 65 gto, jen says i really like the 65's. so i bought it and all the parts included with it and throw and engine in it a drive the car UGLY for a yr. i told her i think we'll run this thing to norwalk this yr and she says not unless it's painted. so the int's done and i tear the car down for a "fast jack" resto and get a guilty conscience about ' jacking a pretty solid car. so i order trunk pans and lower 1/4's and put them in during a very long week. my help took a different job [couldn't blame him for the offer] and the 65's on the back burner while i get back on the customer work.

a yr + passes and i get tired of not having a old pontiac to drive so i'm on the "hunt "again. a buddy finds a numbers matching 65 g/p. we talk and it ends up mine sitting at his house until i can pick it up. we planned on making the trip over the july 4 weekend but a couple of weeks prior i gouged an eye and couldn't make the trip. i finally gave up this week and hired the car to be hauled here, it should arrive in 3 weeks.

i've also been installing a 72 400 in the 68 gto and have decided to glass up the holes, flatten out the dents and spray it flat or semi gloss black and drive it as a rat rod until i get the 65 done.

the 65's turned in to a MAJOR project, the 68's got over 3k worth of sheetmetal waiting to be installed on it so it can be a nice car again, and i've got several others waiting in the wings.

i've actually thought about thinning the herd but haven't pursued it seriously.

a guy can never have too many old pontiacs right?

i suppose it's a good thing the 98 bonnie's a low mile car or it'd be waiting like the rest. we've driven it to norwalk the past few years. the hell of it is there's some minor delamination starting on it that needs taken care of. i think i'll have friend fix it because i'll never get to it.

the point of this ramble is, you build these cars for the love of the car not to make money on them. i'm planning on passing these on to my boys and hopefully they'll take the hobby on to their friends / kids ect.

money's a temporary thing anyway if you don't dump it into a pontiac it'll go somewhere else.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill