Old 02-13-2002, 02:39 AM

I'm going to change the spark plugs in my 94' Formula, and was told I need to have platinum plugs. The dealer wanted to charge me like 10 bucks per plug. I bought Champion brand Platinum Power plugs , catalog # 3013. Will these work ok? The mechanic I talked to said it will eat up regular plugs. Not sure if there's a huge difference between the lesser expensive plugs and the expensive plugs?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 02-13-2002, 02:39 AM

I'm going to change the spark plugs in my 94' Formula, and was told I need to have platinum plugs. The dealer wanted to charge me like 10 bucks per plug. I bought Champion brand Platinum Power plugs , catalog # 3013. Will these work ok? The mechanic I talked to said it will eat up regular plugs. Not sure if there's a huge difference between the lesser expensive plugs and the expensive plugs?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 02-13-2002, 12:21 PM

$10.00 per plug! That better include installation considering what a PITA installing LT1 plugs are; another reason why I'm building up my '81 T/A rather than continue with my Z. As long as you don't spray, most decent brand platinums will be fine. I'm considering those +4 Bosch Platinums for my '97 Z-28, I just have yet to price them. As for non-platinums, a lot of the guys on latemodel boards and several friends of mine with LT1s use NGK TR55 for both N/A and nitrous applications. I was told they will probably last only about 5-7K miles, but they perform great under hard use.

-bought 6/'89, sold 2/'07
1974 Grand Am
-400, 4-barrel
-4-speed
-72,533 original miles
-Dad's first new car; been sitting in his garage since '86
2002 Trans Am
-the latest D.D.
-goals: low 12's-high 11's and 20+ mpg's on the highway
Old 02-13-2002, 05:28 PM

You don't need platinums, but they'll last longer. GM replacements are about 7-8 bucks apiece. NGK-TR55's are about $2.50, and should last 15-20k miles. They should be gapped at .035, otherwise you could have some mis-firing. They'll out-perform platinums, and will be fine as long as you don't mind changing plugs more often.
You'll have to drop the Y-pipe in the car to get to the #6 and #8 plugs. You won't want to, and you'll try to change them without doing this, but TRUST ME...it's soooo much easier. Be prepared to fix any broken studs when you drop the Y...I just drilled out the broken ends, and put a nut-and-bolt in. The #2 cylinder will be the hardest, because you don't have much room to work. Make sure it isn't cross-threaded! Don't forget the anti-seize on the plug threads either. Hope something here helps [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]