Old 04-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default 79 lemans safari wagon value

I am looking at a 79 lemans wagon. I think all wagons are cool but not sure what this one could be worth. Its all original except it now has a 4speed automatic tranny. Very good shape. No rust. 3.8 engine. 95k original miles. It can get up to 28 MPG on the highway. AC, cruise, tilt, amfm cassette. Nice tan exterior with a good tan interior. Possible parts hauler or strip car? Or just a driver. Would it be an easy conversion to a Pontiac 400? any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While the 77-86 A-body wagons are not my favorate, due to the non roll down rear door windows, and the tail gate style rear window, they can be nice cars. I would value it in the $2000-3000 range without seeing it. Things to look for are rear frame rust and interior condition, as interior parts for the 4-dor and wagons are very hard to find.

As for putting a Pontiac 400 in it, the hardest to find parts will be the motor mount brackets that bolt to the engine. You will need a set from a 301 or 265 powered A or G body 77-81 vintage. The F-body and B-body brackets look simalure, but will make the engine sit to high and you may run into hood clearance issues. The Transmission will bolt up, but you will run into the usual Fuel Line and wiring issues. All easily overcome with some modification. Post some pic's of it if you do pick it up.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)

Last edited by camerjeff; 04-07-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: cant spell