Old 04-25-2001, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad drives a '90 Grand Prix STE with ABS-brakes. The car has 210,000 miles on it and his brake master cylinder is leaking. No rotted lines; it's from within.

He can only find the brake master cylinder for his car at the GM dealership, and it's EIGHTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS! They have also told him that the system is under unusually high pressure and thus special procedures to R & R it mean about $400 for labor!

He's stunned, I am stunned, and he wants to trade me for /my/ daily driver ('65 Catalina)! He has also placed an order with GM Parts for a new unit...

Any advice or information would REALLY help! Thanks a ton in advance.

Matt in Milwaukee

Old 04-25-2001, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad drives a '90 Grand Prix STE with ABS-brakes. The car has 210,000 miles on it and his brake master cylinder is leaking. No rotted lines; it's from within.

He can only find the brake master cylinder for his car at the GM dealership, and it's EIGHTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS! They have also told him that the system is under unusually high pressure and thus special procedures to R & R it mean about $400 for labor!

He's stunned, I am stunned, and he wants to trade me for /my/ daily driver ('65 Catalina)! He has also placed an order with GM Parts for a new unit...

Any advice or information would REALLY help! Thanks a ton in advance.

Matt in Milwaukee

Old 04-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I found out from GM some interesting info. In 1990, the GP (and others) was available with and without ABS. The ABS was available with and without 4-wheel-discs. The power-assist was available with and without a vacuum supply (the without flavor being the lovely "hydra-boost").

Remember back (waaay back for some of us) in high school biology doing the "punnet square" to determine the probabilities of genetic outcomes on fruit flies? Well, the genetic probability of a '90 GP with front-disc/rear-drum, ABS-with-hydraboost brakes is almost an impossibility. But they made at least ONE this way...my dad's GP-STE.

And yes, that ENTIRE system is sold only as a system. And the SYSTEM, available only at the dealership, lists at almost $2500. Dealer net is $1800. What a bargain.

Before all the Datsun B-210 owners of the world rise up from the dead and say "I told you so", let me reiterate to you that the car has 210,000 miles and the 3.1 v6 and overdrive automatic are unrebuilt and work very well. In fact the car has been very cost-effective to operate.

Anyway, if you're looking at one of these cars as a project or a driver, bear in mind that MOST '90 GPs came with non-ABS, vacuum-assisted, disc-and-drum brakes. Not ALL did. SOME came with ABS with 4-wheel-discs, which as far as the man at GM says, was a NON-hydra-boost configuration. (BTW, THAT master cylinder is $231 at GM) And a tiny fraction were built with the ABS the hydraboost and with disc-and-drum brakes... probably be a collectable car someday, like early air-ride-equipped Pontiacs.

Spotters Tip:

The hydra-boost-equipped cars can be spotted by the spherically-shaped "bulb" located below the master cylinder. It has factory marking warning you about the unusually-high pressure inside and the risk of dismemberment and lacerations from improper removal...

Matt in Milwaukee