Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Default Pontiac 400 engine swap into 78 Grand Prix

The 400 is out of a 77 Trans am? The intake manifold looks like it has two egrs on it I think one is for the shaker hood? My Grand Prix came with a 301 Four Barrel. My question is I took in the carb to be rebuild and he told me it is a Chevy 305 he looked up the right carb for a 400 he gos into to the back room and comes out with a 78 400 carb will a after market air cleaner work on this carb it has a 1/2 tube sticking out the top at the front of the bowls looks like it will get in the way.My 301 carb did hot have this.PS I am trying to keep all of the emission stuff on the car because the Emission Police are after cars like mine around here being a 1978.PS PS am I posting this in the right forum. Thanks for any help I will have lots of questions to come Mark.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

The aftermarket air cleaners I,ve seen do not have that hole in the base. You could drill a hole 4 clearance if you REALLY want to use a a non stock air cleaner. Most Pontiac 4bbl carbs 72 -79 have that upper vent tube. Some pics could help with this.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

Most of the emission stuff will not bolt up to the 400 as they are quite different than chevy 301 as the fuel pump and starter are on the opposite sides of the engine just to start with.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Thanks guys for the tips got it worked out.