Old 05-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Difficultly level of replacing steering box input shaft seals?

So my steering box, which is almost brand new, is leaking at the input shaft. Remanufactured parts strike again. I was prepping to go to the track today and noticed a small puddle under the car. Its not bad and I think I can rig a diaper or something temporarily to get down the track without putting fluid on the track. We will see on that front.

How hard is it to replace that seal? I found a couple youtube videos but they basically show it to you apart and then just talk about it. I haven't found a good step by step video. It looks like I might be able to do it in the car. Which is preferable. In my case you have to remove the driver header to get the box out. I can buy a cheaper spanner wrench off amazon.

My box is an 3rd gen box, and rock auto shows two part numbers. One for F41 and one without. Mine is not the IROC box but Ill probably buy both to be safe. They are only a couple dollars.

FWIW this didn't start until I went to a gnarley high temp redline fluid late last year. I noticed that fluid is pretty thin. I might try a "leak stop" fluid or maybe some ATF first, which might be thicker.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a leak from the input shaft in n the wife’s car. Jeep box, I think it leaked from setting so long. Anyway, I used Lucas stop leak. Very think stuff & it did stop the leak. Worth a try!

Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, Im going to pop over to napa on my lunch break and grab something like that. Its a pretty small leak so something like that might work, at least temporarily. That redline fluid is almost like water, so I think its a real possibility that its not helping. Plus its like $6.

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-22-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How did this ever turn out for you?

I seen a post where two small holes were drilled two small holes into the seal and the guy used small screws to get the seal out.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Minimal effect so far but it only has maybe an oz of the Lucas oil stuff in it. Its seemingly a very small leak which I already knew, but its probably even smaller than I thought. Visually I would think it would have spit more out by now, because it drips a few drops every time I drive and park it. But when I check the level to maybe add some more of the thick Lucas leak stopper, the level has barely dropped. It was too the point that I looked to make sure it wasn't oil or brake fluid dripping onto the steering box and causing a false positive. If it is, I cant find anything else.

Im thinking its a stack of factors, one, it stops leaking as soon as its parked. So it only leaks under pressure. Two, Im guessing you have to get it good and hot before it leaks. So it probably has pretty specific circumstances before it even begins to leak.

Ill check it when I get home today, I drove 80 miles round trip and put 5 passes down the track with it Friday. That should have dropped the level some, if its down Ill add some of the gunk.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Suspended

You'll know if you didn't do it right haha....