Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Eaton Springs for a 68 Firebird

Have a 68 Bird 400HO 4 Spd Coupe and would like to get rid of the air shocks currently on it.

Thinking about ordering a new set of Springs for it, with a 1” or 2” extra arch, the ones currently in car seem pretty weak/wore out and I like the rear sitting up a bit higher then stock, not way up, but some.

I’ve had guys tell me that the “400” model cars are supposed to have the 4 leaf springs instead of the 5, can anyone confirm that? I see Eaton offers a 90lb rate 5 Spring or a 119lb 4 leaf for 68 400 Coupe cars, just would like to get what’s supposed to be in there!

I have 60lbs of air in shocks currently and has car sitting like I want it to without the air shocks, about 16” from center of rear wheel to fender lip, any input/suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty car, great stance. Call Detroit Eaton and speak with them directly. They have always been very helpful when I called.

Tim john---

Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 AM

Thanks!!
I did call them and talked to them a bit, they couldn’t however confirm what models exactly got the 4 leaf Springs vs the 5 leaf Springs, was hoping to find out for sure. Would like to buy what belongs on car?

Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 AM

So I found some pictures scrolling through the Forums of how to measure the ride height specs to the rocker panel on a 68 Bird, but I’m seeing different numbers on different sites, anyone know which of these is correct?

Found these specs on the First Gen website but are quite different then the pic above, the pics above seem more realistic, the actual specs seem like that’s to low, unless it’s to a different point then pic above?