Old 07-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Drum to disk brake question. 1966 GTO

I am about to convert my drum brakes to disk brakes.
Question:

Do I need to have a spring compressor to convert brakes?
Do I need to secure or chain them up?

Those who converted brakes what did you do with the spring?

Just want to be safe.
Thanks
FB66

Old 07-03-2020, 04:10 PM

If you're swapping out your spindles, you'll need to pull the spring. I put a ratchet strap on mine for safety, used the jack to lift the lower control arm and unbolt the spring/shock, then stood back and lowered the jack slowly. Worked great, no drama. That was for suspension upgrades.

My front disc brake conversion used the same spindles and therefore didn't need any changes to the spring or spindles. I'm guessing yours wouldn't either.

You basically just unbolt the drum brake assembly and the whole thing comes off the spindle peg. Then a new wheel bearing, hub, and rotor go on.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't fool with the spring at all when I changed my drums to disk. Sure, you should have a jack stand under the lower control arm when you disconnect the ball joints. the spring stays loaded with the weight of the car. If you are unsure of the process get someone who knows to help out. Be safe.

george

Old 07-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback66 View Post
I am about to convert my drum brakes to disk brakes.
I'm interested in doing the same for my '66 at some point. Can you post what you are using for parts? I'd be going from manual drums to power discs.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the front, I bought the spindles and dust shield from Ames.All the other parts were for a '72 GTO. I bought reman calipers and had them powder coated. I also bought PowerStop rotors for the same vehicle. Vacuum booster and master cylinder was similar, but the std booster is 11" and gets close to the driver's valve cover. if too close for your liking, the 9" ones are available. The prop valves are available aftermarket or you can get the entire setup along with front and rear lines also. Since you have a '66 there may need to be a modification to the existing rear line/ distribution block.

Check with Inline tube, the Right Stuff, etc. for their upgrade kits for ideas too.

I replaced the dist block on my '67 with a proportioning combo valve and made my own lines from the master to the prop valve and then to the front and rear(since the position and size of the valve on the frame had changed.

george

Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg,
I bought the whole kit from Inline tube about 13 years ago.
Time to finally put them in.
FB66

The Following User Says Thank You to Fullback66 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No you do not need to remove the spring, or chain it, leave the shock on and will help, will act a safety as well as jack or jack stand under the lower arm when seperating ball joint.
Buying a kit is probably the easiest way to do it.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I swapped a kit onm my 65 as the drums were seized up form leaking wheel cylinders. Just supported lower A arm and popped loose the ball joints. I use a tool that goes between the ball joints and spreads them to pop them loose. 65 was a little tight since original and needed a few taps with a hammer to help loosen it.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Pull the shocks and run a piece of 1/2" all thread through the holes and bolt everything together. Then get your fork and pop the ball joints and swap spindles.. Don't depend on the weight of the car to hold everything together... Those springs can be a real jack in the box..

Old 07-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After my experience with the disc brake conversion, I would gladly let the spring hit me in the head and end the misery quickly.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a serious note, I would just get a caliper and dust shield kit kit that does not require a spindle change-out unless you are installing dropped spindles or lowering springs, especially if you are planning on doing the by yourself.

My car was on a lift when I did mine. We used a transmission jack to compress the spring and a length of rebar through the shock mount to prevent a spring from flying out. I was able to swing the control arm down and remove the unloaded spring with a pry bar.

On the reinstall, it took 3 of us to get the uncompressed springs back in the pockets. You would think what came out should go back in, but it didn't and the replacement springs were correct to the car. Even with the lower control arm swung down to its lower limit, no way was the spring going back in without brute force. Once seated, we used the transmission jack to compress the spring with the lower control arm. We had to use ratchet straps from the frame to the arms of the lift to keep the car from coming off of the lift as theer were no wheels on the car at the time. Once the spring was partially compressed, we were able to attach the spindle to the control arm.

I would never do that again and had 2 really burly guys helping me with it.