Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

Default Sway bars type

I am looking at installing a bigger sway bar for my 1971 GP Options are 1 1/4 solid bar or 1 5/16 tubular, which one would be better for handling. I hear it's a wash as the tubular bars are not as stiff.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The advantage to the tubular bars is that they are lighter - less unsprung weight.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Suspended

No expert and I went for solid, but I wondered if tubular with the constant twisting might eventually work harden, weaken at some point, and develop cracks - in long term use?

Granted, most don't put a bunch of miles on our cars, so the point might be moot, but I did think about this when I decided to use the solid bar.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can afford it go tubular.

Work hardening? no.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a reason that the factories went from solid to the tubular bars. Less unsprung weight was the handling advantage and less overall weight was the fuel mileage advantage.

Did they eventually wear out? Sure - but typically it was in the rustbelt (snow/ice/salt) after about 10 years. I used to sell Dorman replacement (solid) bars to replace the rust victims on the last generation of Pontiac Grand Prix's, etc when I worked for the ACDelco warehouse distributor.

With the limited driving (and even more limited exposure to snow/ice/salt) for the cars that we're talking about here, I have no fear of a tubular bar "weakening".

Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Suspended

I like the Hellwig #55703.. They've been in the sway bar business for a long time..

Those 71 Grand Prix have something no other A body has, the big 1942 AO Smith frame that was designed for the 68-72 El Camino... John De saw to it that his baby was getting the best frame GM had.. I never knew about these frames until I bought a 69 el Camino SS396 and noticed how solid and smooth it drove. Once I climbed under it and saw that massive frame I knew why my car handled like they did.. Good luck!

Last edited by 389; 04-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.