Old 12-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I could just scream

I am changing the heads on my 65 Tempest, something I never thought I would do. I took the passenger side head off with the exhaust manifold still attached.

Now on the drivers side when I put it all together two years ago I ran the wires down the tube between the exhaust and the head between 5 & 7.

Some of you already know where I'm going. I have to take the &^&# starter off which is a real pain because of the wires. Taking the starter off for me is a whole job in itself.

I thought I could get the bolts out of the exhaust manifold I got all but one and guess what I rounded it off so off comes the starter in a 35 degree garage.

So whats the secret for a quick drivers side head removal?

Sorry for the rant but who designed the exhaust manifolds.

Maybe tommorrow things will change.

Greg

Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 PM
Boost Engineer

1) Remove the engine/frame mount bolt on the drivers side. Raise the engine to get a better angle on the removal of the manifold bolts.

Get a good 6 point socket that will just fit over the Exhaust Manifold bolt heads.
Use a LONG breaker bar and break each one loose. Royal PIA but you have no other choice except for pulling the engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 Good advise Tom!!!! Did it that way after I had mine ceramic coated a couple years ago. "Bill"!

Old 12-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always found it easier to pull the head with the exhaust manifolds still attached. They serve as good handles when lifting the head.

You'll need to drop the starter to get access to the rear battery cable and ignition switch cable nuts on the starter solenoid.

First unscrew the down pipe flange 2 nuts and drop the exhaust downpipe.
Good luck.

Maybe you can borrow a portable heater.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like you may have to drop the starter this time anyway. If its an original Delco type, you could replace it with a high torque mini-starter, I've found them much easier to deal with when on your back.

I also put one of these in my garage for such occasions. You need to run a 30A 240v line for it but well worth it in my opinion. Works great here in NJ.

http://electricheatsource.com/Produc...eater-HF5840TC

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8

Last edited by MarkS57; 12-29-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the replies I ended up pulling the motor it needed a good cleanup, plus I didn't want to pull a/c condenser to change cams.

Thanks

Greg

Old 01-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by footjoy View Post
Thanks for the replies I ended up pulling the motor it needed a good cleanup, plus I didn't want to pull a/c condenser to change cams.

Thanks

Greg
Smart move, IMO. Much less struggle in the long run and you'll end up with a cleaner job when done.