Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder if hacked?

If you're using it and got a popup, doesn't sound right.

Using the modem password instead of giving it a password you installed is not good. I think lots of illegal activity use the generic modem password to see if they can break into the system?

All in my opinion. I was instructed to change the password to my own when I got my system. (not what yours is, but same setup basically)

Never had any problems.

Try calling the lady that came with installer?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get a call from technician before he arrived?

Call him back on it and make him give you required info!

Old 12-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally got on a "chat" with somebody from AT&T.

He gave me some numbers I never saw before, to enter in places I couldn't find, following his instructions.

He took my land line number & said his supervisor would call me in about one hour. That was over 2 hours ago.

Next move is to call the local rep lady. Will wait til afternoon.

I did open an "account" with AT&T. But can't find any info on my account page that provides any info about my new fixed internet system or how to get it to operate with my computer.

So, my only hope is to talk to somebody who knows enuff to tell me exactly what I need to do.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3 hours passed, with no call.

I FINALLY got a live person on the phone. She didn't speak real clear English, but enuff we could communicate, barely. My user ID number wouldn't work. My password wouldn't work. So, she gave me a new ID number & a new password. Once I got logged in, I then changed my password to what is was before. I'll just keep the ID # she gave me.

After I finally got logged in, she did something on her end & my internet popped right on. I ask her what to do if it went off again. She said that it wouldn't go off like that again. Seemed to think the tech had failed to do everything he was supposed to do.

Then I ask her how to check my usage & other info, That took another 20 minutes. BUT, after nearly an hour on the phone, our service is restored. And, I can go online & check our usage & other info.

So, we're back in business, for now.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking for an update ponyakr.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's workin great !

TJ's Mac desk top had trouble hookin on, the first few times. But it now hooks up automatically, soon as she turns it on.

I've got 2 Acer Chromebooks. They both hook right on & work great. We don't do anything that requires blazing speed. So, it works just as good as our hot spot or at the libraries I've used.

And I've watched several YouTube videos, including listening to Christmas music videos on one Chromebook, while cruising with the other one.

We got a notification of what the 1st bill will be. And it's just what was advertised, even a few pennies less. It's $99 for the installation, and just under $70 for the regular monthly charges. That's exactly what online reviews said it would be, without bundling with Direct TV. They keep calling, wanting us to switch to Direct. It may be better, Don't know. But we are satisfied with Dish right now.

Don't know what the charges will be AFTER our 12 months are up. But, even if they double price, it'll still be a bargain, compared to what we've been paying, for just 24 gigs a month.

Bottom line--So far we are well pleased, & would recommend. I realize that not everybody lives as close to a tower as we do. So, I assume that results could vary. That reminds me, our new tower is not like all the other towers in our area, that I've seen.

The others are tall & skinny & have lots of guy wires holding them up. Our tower looks more like the Eiffel Tower, being wide at the bottom. Don't think it has any guy wires hooked to it. It doesn't show up on any tower map I've seen, yet. But I can assure you, it's there. We'll take some pics of it & post 'em. Sure glad it was built.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great to hear, mine is performing admirably also.

Glad you are satisfied.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our service month with Verizon ran out at Midnite, Eastern time Jan 9. So we waited til just a couple of days before that, then TJ called & cancelled it.

And shore nuff, at midnite, Verizon quit workin.

So, ATT&T is all we have now. Works great. There have been a FEW brief periods of a slow down. We read that might happen, at times of heavy area usage, such as right after all the school kids get home from school.

But, so far it's great. It's really nice to be able to watch short YouTube videos, without worrying about running out of data transfer allowance. Should be able to watch the portions of the division drag races I wanna watch, this season, assuming they continue the free live stream. Expecting them to start charging.

Can also listen to oldies, Canjun/Zydeco, & other music I like, on one lap top, while yakking on car forums with my other lap top. By the way, if there are any of you guys out there who just use your lap top to cruise the net, talk on forums, plus up & download pics, a Chromebook may be all you need. Have had mine for over 2 years. They'll do everything I wanna do. They come on much quicker than my old HP lap top. And, they cost less than half as much as that HP cost, about 12 years ago.

Tried a refurbished one 1st. It worked great, so I bought a new one. The new one was only $200. The brand is Acer. They are full size, maybe what, 15". Also come in smaller size. Also come with more and less storage capacity. I didn't get the biggest capacity model. Was worried that a lower capacity model might not store all the car pics I wanted. But, I now probably have into the thousands. No sign of a slow down.