THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may look into the shoes. We have some runners in the neighborhood that could tell me where to go.

I kind of think it’s a weight thing. While I have not tried tailored running shoes- most of the running shoes I have tried seem to have enough cushion for a 175 lb person. Not even comfortable to walk in.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see a few of you guys are in the winter, snow climate too.
That adds to the fun

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-27-2020, 04:27 PM

I've run off-n-on since college but now pushing 50 I've finally decided to listen to the experts and actually try to get some speed. So now I'm running longer and more regularly aiming to get my 5K to 20:20 in 2020.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I may look into the shoes. We have some runners in the neighborhood that could tell me where to go.

I kind of think it’s a weight thing. While I have not tried tailored running shoes- most of the running shoes I have tried seem to have enough cushion for a 175 lb person. Not even comfortable to walk in.
yeah, that sounds like you need some pro opinions. If they aren't comfortable to walk in, probably not going to feel any better running.

The hardest thing is the cost of shoes. My last 5? pairs have been Asics Gel Nimbus. Other than the fact that Asics keep tweaking the design every year (not always for the better) I like them. very comfy. But I can only get about 400 miles out of them. byt then they are wearing through in the heel & the tread is gone. They are usually around $120 -$130 a pair last two pairs I ordered online because I knew how they were going to fit.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-27-2020, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CatCoupe View Post
I've run off-n-on since college but now pushing 50 I've finally decided to listen to the experts and actually try to get some speed. So now I'm running longer and more regularly aiming to get my 5K to 20:20 in 2020.
That's Fast! Wow my 5K PR is 22:45
I place once in a while, but when a few guys like you show up, I don't have a chance
Haven't done a timed 5k in a couple years. should really do that some more.

My fastest year was 2013 & I collected a lot of T shirts that year. I think running in events really helps the speed. No other way to get that kind of adrenaline or motivation......

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Started running on hs track team as a freshman, probably 1965 or so. Still at it today. I’ll be 70 y/o next mo.
Not fast, but steady. I only do 2.5-3 miles usually in am and not every day, more like every other day.
Been blessed with pretty good health and no joint problems. I credit a lot to running.
Ortho surgeon once told me “you cannot wear out a joint by using it”. Not my words.... his !

Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I see a few of you guys are in the winter, snow climate too.
That adds to the fun
I was just reading some old emails from when we were training for the marathon(s).

We started running in January, in the park, in the snow. Being new at this, I didn't have any of the cool clothes, so I was wearing jeans, an old Carhart and work boots.

I must have looked like a homeless guy chasing my wife. A person stopped her one time and said "is this guy bothering you?"

"Not yet" she replied.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I was just reading some old emails from when we were training for the marathon(s).

We started running in January, in the park, in the snow. Being new at this, I didn't have any of the cool clothes, so I was wearing jeans, an old Carhart and work boots.

I must have looked like a homeless guy chasing my wife. A person stopped her one time and said "is this guy bothering you?"

"Not yet" she replied.

K
Lol,

The gear today is amazing. I have some cycling pants that are light & never need anything underneath regardless of the temps & wind. I will run in single digits if its not too windy, or if somebody will drop me off & I can run with the wind. the under armor long sleeve turtle necks are also amazing. Keep you warm & wick everything out to the next layer. If you guys run on the frozen icy days, you should try "screwing" up a retired set of shoes. Been doing that for the last 5 or 6 years & I am no longer afraid of hitting ice under a dusting of fresh snow. I'll post some picts. It has saved me from injury a few times now.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty serious if your making your own studded treads!

Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Pretty serious if your making your own studded treads!
It started when I was planning on running in a local valentines 5k event. I was feeling good & had put the training days in prior to the event. Then we get a heavy snow storm & a deep freeze right after. I drove the route early the morning & the majority of the roads had an ice packed surface. I was scrambling on what to do. Then decided to try the screws & it worked awesome. In fact, I was so confident in them that I actually preferred the packed ice surface over the concrete. I just line up the outer edges with 1/4" headed sheet metal screws using various lengths depending on how deep the shoe area is. You can feel them, but pretty easy to get used to after a few runs. A little obnoxious on bare concrete & you need to swap them out after about 10 miles, but so cheap to do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6643.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	530245  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, & don't wear them in the house especially on hardwood floors

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've picked up running in the last 6 months and was doing 3-5 miles a night. I took a fall a couple of weeks ago and trashed my knee. I'm taking a couple of weeks off and rest and see if it heals. I became addicted to running and really liked it. I'd take the GTO down to the beach and do a run there. Unfortunately, even without my fall, my knees were getting really sore.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3-5 every day is likely too much too fast. Every once in a while I will run back to back days. But if I try three days in a row, I will be in a lot of pain. While many guys can run everyday, many (like me) can not. I always need that day off.
Sometimes the pains can be tendons that are just not used to what you are doing. can take a long time for everything to settle in. Just hold back & don't too too much. I can tell when I get out of bed the next morning if I overdid it: You might also find you will feel better & easier having that day off. A lot of people will take 2 & sometimes 3 days off before an event for that reason.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
It started when I was planning on running in a local valentines 5k event. I was feeling good & had put the training days in prior to the event. Then we get a heavy snow storm & a deep freeze right after. I drove the route early the morning & the majority of the roads had an ice packed surface. I was scrambling on what to do. Then decided to try the screws & it worked awesome. In fact, I was so confident in them that I actually preferred the packed ice surface over the concrete. I just line up the outer edges with 1/4" headed sheet metal screws using various lengths depending on how deep the shoe area is. You can feel them, but pretty easy to get used to after a few runs. A little obnoxious on bare concrete & you need to swap them out after about 10 miles, but so cheap to do.

That's awesome!

(lol)

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

My knees and joints have improved with running. Like I said, I wear properly fitted running shoes and with the mileage I do a year I go through 3 or 4 pair. Last year before I started training for an Iron Man I did 3 separate 5k's where I was in the low 20's. My fastest was a 20:25. We have a run here at the Hansens store in Utica Michigan called the Bill Roney 5k in Early spring. I ran a 21:14 and was 10th in my age group of 50 - 59 Men. There are more guys in the 40's and up age groups than all of the other age groups. It helps if you have a group of friends to support you with your goals. Our tri club is a running club that likes to drink. We have runs on different nights and then go to the local bars and restaurants for a beer or 2 and some food. That is the part that is the most fun. Hanging out with friends after. I have been running in Brooks Launch shoes. I think I am using the 6th version now. I like them, they are a neutral shoe. Hoka makes a more cushioned shoe from what I hear. Try all of the different ones to see what is best.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you guys wear a watch? & if so what do you have? I am due for a replacement soon. I currently wear a garmin forerunner 610. must be 5 or 6 years old now. Battery is junk. I have to charge it every other day now & it really struggles finding the satellites when the battery is not at 100% All of my past garmin watches had that issue.

The bigger thing for me is I still use the antiquated Garmin training center software. I have thousands of mile logged into it since 2011. I really don't want to loose that info. Needs something newer soon, but wonder if I can keep all my old stuff and transfer it? The newest watches look sooooo complicated.
I like having adjustable lap distances & the custom training pages. I wear a HR monitor strap periodically just to see were things are at, or if I am training. hard to believe the wrist HR's are as accurate as the old straps?

What do you do?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA