EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:34 PM

Just fits with 78 w72 shaker air cleaner. That is with the return line plugged and the fuel inlet using a 90 degree elbow.

With a factory air cleaner base from a Grand Prix or Bonneville, there is plenty of clearance.

I took video and pictures of the air cleaner upside down with the throttle body upside down in it. Will post over the weekend.

The tightest point is the very edge of the side with the return line bulge, it's exactly 5-1/16" from center at the same height as the air filter mounting flange. With the factory drop base, that's at 1-3/4" from the drop. You can slide a sheet of paper between the air cleaner and edge of throttle body. It's tight.

The fuel inlet with a 90 degree elbow sets further down, at its peak is 5-1/2" from center. It must also point downward at an angle, about 30 degrees minimum.

Not seamless, but not impossible either.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Sorry, the issue is not resolved....your fuel rails are on your intake, well below the filter. Take a closer look at the throttle body on this product. Look at where the fuel rails are, look at where the fuel lines are going to connect and finally look at the return. Next look at the bottom of a factory or for that matter Blocker A/F housing.
Looks like it would clear just fine to me unless you were trying to mount it on a super victor since the TB is tall to begin with. The blocker hsg is just a adapter and they build them all kinds of different heights as needed, the filter is in shaker. I bought the Larry Navaro/butler deal and it would have never worked besides the fact they use a tiny element, had to send that back

http://www.smittysengtrans.com/
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

Would love to hear from someone with a GTO that has either ordered one of these systems,or has installed it..

Very seriously looking to purchase.

Thanks

30 Original Owner Ordered PHS Documented Factory Options
Second Owner
Old 08-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Got the fitech installed yesterday, had to buy a couple extra parts including an extra AN 6 push lock elbow, a throttle cable stud, and on my list is a 5/16 to 1/4 air cleaner stud adapter (drove it yesterday with a 5/16 bolt holding in the air cleaner).

The car runs great! This is with one of those Edelbrock 7/8" thick spacers as well. Turn kd the key it starts every time nearly instantly. Idle is smooth. Pedal response is instant. The air fuel ratio stays within a 12:1 to 16:1 range. Engine temperature stays at 165-175 (before it would range from 165-200).

At the moment I am running a 2-1/2" high filter to clear the Firebird turbo hood. I am sure it can use more air, when I switch to a shaker hood I will consider the following:

1. A drop down base (blockers or ptfb)
2. Taking the manifold off and modifying it to allow mounting the throttle body directly to it.

I am leaning toward 2 at this point for that factory look, it will just take more work.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well assuming you have the available vertical space, you can make the Edelbrock adapter work. I am going to give a factory manifold a try with my Holley and here is what I have come up with so far. This started out as Edelbrocks Holley to Q-jet adapter and after it and the iron intake has been modified, I don't see where either is going to reduce performance.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.

Last edited by Formula8; 08-22-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Got the fitech installed yesterday, had to buy a couple extra parts including an extra AN 6 push lock elbow, a throttle cable stud, and on my list is a 5/16 to 1/4 air cleaner stud adapter (drove it yesterday with a 5/16 bolt holding in the air cleaner).

The car runs great! This is with one of those Edelbrock 7/8" thick spacers as well. Turn kd the key it starts every time nearly instantly. Idle is smooth. Pedal response is instant. The air fuel ratio stays within a 12:1 to 16:1 range. Engine temperature stays at 165-175 (before it would range from 165-200).

At the moment I am running a 2-1/2" high filter to clear the Firebird turbo hood. I am sure it can use more air, when I switch to a shaker hood I will consider the following:

1. A drop down base (blockers or ptfb)
2. Taking the manifold off and modifying it to allow mounting the throttle body directly to it.

I am leaning toward 2 at this point for that factory look, it will just take more work.
That's great to hear! Any pics?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks good.....what's the thickness of the plate(adaptor)?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is starting to look like my next upgrade!!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
That looks good.....what's the thickness of the plate(adaptor)?
.79 without the gaskets.

I went back in a watched the videos in the media section and does anyone else have an issue with the fuel spraying on top of the throttle blades at idle like the video shows? I would think it would be really hard to control idle to tip in A/F ratio this way as it appears the fuel simply puddles against the throttle shaft until the throttle is opened. Then I would think you would get a big rich spike when you tip into the throttle depending on how much fuel has accumulated on the throttle plates. I guess this is the way any traditional TBI system works and Angelo says his idles well and has good response so maybe I am over thinking it. I was originally attracted to the Holley Terminator as it injects below the throttle plates and is clear of any air cleaner issues. There are other advantages to the Holley Terminator but of course it is twice as much. I just don't know if the Terminator's extra features justifies it's price relative to this system.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.

Last edited by Formula8; 08-22-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that one of the Edelbrock adapters that actually spreads out to the Q jet openings? Looks good.

Pretty sure Larry's base uses the factory TA sized paper element that is fairly small.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know on my Fast ez efi, the fuel is injected below the throttle blades. Can't speak to others, but would think trying to spray fuel on top wouldn't be optimal. I haven't seen one of these units, but I would doubt they would do it that way either. Maybe an optical illusion?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Is that one of the Edelbrock adapters that actually spreads out to the Q jet openings? Looks good.

Pretty sure Larry's base uses the factory TA sized paper element that is fairly small.
Yes it is. Here was my inspiration but I took it a bit further:
http://www3.telus.net/68bird/carb_adaptor_work.htm

Larry's base for 70-76 uses a square filter while the 77 and up uses a round element.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:20 PM

I'd you remove just a little more material from the factory manifold then you wouldn't need that spacer. You can use a 1/16" spacer with the fitech since it has holes drilled for spreadbore mounting holes. The 1/16" spacer seals the intake from possible leaks around the secondaries.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angelo,

Are you using a regular distributor setup with typical mechanical and vacuum advance? Or did you go to a setup that runs the ignition advance off the computer?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Eddy adapter I did a lot of blending like that also. Also made a 4150 to Dominator 4 hole one for a friend to swap a HP1000 on a SD modified Holley intake for a Dominator.

I see, I have a 77+ from Larry.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm very interested to see if this can work with the shaker on my ta. If i can keep from mounting the shaker to the hood i think it would be a great set up. A friend I work with just put a deposit down for when the next batch becomes available. He will be putting it on a 71 Chevelle with a big block. He just bought the car 2 weeks ago. His motor is pretty strong, set up with over .600 lift roller cam 1.7 rockers, performer intake, big holley etc. The current tune is really rich and the exhaust stinks. I will be doing the install with him when he gets it because he is not very mechanically inclined. I will be taking pictures and video to document the install.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM

I've only put 120 miles on the FiTech so far, but I have to say it's worth every penny. I'm a geek, so having the LCD display to look at while driving giving me AF ratios, engine temperature and rpm at the same time is pretty sweet. Throttle response is not delayed either, I expected it to have a delay like most modern fuel injection cars do. It's as instant as a carburetor.

As fast as I can turn the key then let go is how fast it starts up. No more high to low engine rev either at startup, it starts and stays right at 750rpm. When I put it in gear, there's a slight drop then it's back up to 750rpm. I may drop the rpm's down another 50-100 rpm once I'm satisfied with everything.

Engine has never ran this consistently cool before. I have a 160 thermostat, but usually my car would get as hot as 195. It now stays between 165-175.

The throttle cable posed a challenge. It appears the cable was now 1/8" too short mounted at the factory location. My fix was to use the Edelbrock 8015 linkage adapter (came with the performer intake I ended up not using), it brought the throttle bracket back about 1/4" which worked out perfectly. I also had to use a kick down bracket from a mr gasket generic throttle bracket and mounted that to the side of the factory bracket to make everything line up.

The factory drop base will fit on the FiTech directly, this is how I am running the car now. I do not have any of the rubber lines on my air cleaner assembly. If you have a Performer intake, you will not need to worry about height issues, the FiTech is the same height as a quadrajet.

If you go the route I did and added a square to spread bore adapter, you will loose an inch. I sent measurements to PTFB and Blockers to see if their drop bases will clear.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM

FiTech and Fuel control center took 4 hours to install with my mechanically inclined friend (Thanks Joel for the help!!!). I spent another 4 hours on Sunday tweaking the linkage and tucking the wiring into looms, etc... (this was after driving it 120 miles over the weekend)

I have 2 more tweaks to make, going to get a stud of some sort to locate the attachment for the kick down 1" away from the throttle mount point. I also want to swap out the PVC hose I am using with some new hose.

Advice:

Get a 5/16" to 1/4" air cleaner stud adapter (I got mr gasket 6399 at a local parts store), 4-6' of 3/8 carburetor fuel line (for the low pressure and PCV valve), get 2 extra 3/8" fuel injection clamps and 2-4 low pressure fuel line clamps. The vent line uses a 1/4" hose, I used a T and spliced that into my vapor gas tank line, so you may want to purchase hose for that as well. Everything else I had on hand, such as extra wire, spade and ring wire terminals, etc...

Also, I put a G15 fuel filter in front of the line going into the Fuel control center, then used their high pressure filter after the fuel control center. If I knew how it attached, I would have also purchased a 6 AN 90 degree elbow (both ends 6AN) then I could have attached the fuel line directly at the elbow. Then you only need 2 high pressure fuel clamps, which the kit comes with.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
FiTech and Fuel control center took 4 hours to install with my mechanically inclined friend (Thanks Joel for the help!!!). I spent another 4 hours on Sunday tweaking the linkage and tucking the wiring into looms, etc... (this was after driving it 120 miles over the weekend)

I have 2 more tweaks to make, going to get a stud of some sort to locate the attachment for the kick down 1" away from the throttle mount point. I also want to swap out the PVC hose I am using with some new hose.

Advice:

Get a 5/16" to 1/4" air cleaner stud adapter (I got mr gasket 6399 at a local parts store), 4-6' of 3/8 carburetor fuel line (for the low pressure and PCV valve), get 2 extra 3/8" fuel injection clamps and 2-4 low pressure fuel line clamps. The vent line uses a 1/4" hose, I used a T and spliced that into my vapor gas tank line, so you may want to purchase hose for that as well. Everything else I had on hand, such as extra wire, spade and ring wire terminals, etc...

Also, I put a G15 fuel filter in front of the line going into the Fuel control center, then used their high pressure filter after the fuel control center. If I knew how it attached, I would have also purchased a 6 AN 90 degree elbow (both ends 6AN) then I could have attached the fuel line directly at the elbow. Then you only need 2 high pressure fuel clamps, which the kit comes with.
Pics and a video or it never happened....

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 PM

Blog post and pics coming, video eventually.