The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Vent Window Nut and Springs Hardware Assemble, 67 GTO ???

I just received the nut and springs hardware (The Parts Place) for my vent windows (67 GTO). Does anyone know how these parts are assembled? That is, what goes on first, what goes on last?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VentWindowHardware.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	503923  

Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks to be a universal/multi model kit with a few unneeded bits.
Should be Washer, Spring, Washer, Locking tab then locking nut.
Once you have the the desired tension on the window,
you then need to bend the tab down to lock the nut in position.
It's a PITA reaching up into the door to do so but is do-able.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The problem I’m having is…..as I tighten the nut-washer-spring assemble, this pulls the entire vent window downwards. The tighter I make it as I turn the nut clockwise; the pin embedded in the angled part of the window disengages from the cavity in the A-frame (see pic). If I loosen the nut turning counter-clockwise, the pin will somewhat re-engage the A-frame cavity, but the entire vent window will be loose. Therefore, if I was cruising (say 30 MPH), and had the vent window open against the wind, the force of the wind would just blow it back to a near closed position.
Weather the nut is loose or tight, the vent window basically has no resistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VentWindow4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	504198   Click image for larger version

Name:	VentWindow5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	504199  

Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dumb question but is this after the frame is set in door?
Can't see how that's possible when the frame/window are installed on the door?
Once the frame in installed It shouldn't be able to pull downward.
Tension can be set after frame installation.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 01-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Dumb question but is this after the frame is set in door?
Can't see how that's possible when the frame/window are installed on the door?
Once the frame in installed It shouldn't be able to pull downward.
Tension can be set after frame installation.
Actually I’m working with this assemble on a work bench. It may work better when I install it in the door.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would just assemble it and tighten the nut just until it starts to draw the pin down out of the frame then + 1 turn. That should get you to about where it needs to stay. I'm certain they were "bench" assembled in the factory. No time to mess with that inside the door going down the assembly line.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't set the tension on a bench. Frame has to be mounted to prevent the issues you are experiencing.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jimib, I just saw your thread. I’m working on my 65 vent wings right now. Mine are on as follows starting at the top, up by the vent glass

The metal one that is kinda D shaped first then a black hard plastic or fiber one. On the bottom side of the bracket it goes, black plastic then the metal one next is the spring. The washer with the tab then the nut is last. If this doesn’t make sense PM me and I’ll send you a pic.
Now I have a question for you.

My replacement sash channel doesn’t have the screw hole or metal reinforcement at the top like original. Does yours? If so where’d you get them. If not, what are your plans on installing them.

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Jimib, I just saw your thread. I’m working on my 65 vent wings right now. Mine are on as follows starting at the top, up by the vent glass

The metal one that is kinda D shaped first then a black hard plastic or fiber one. On the bottom side of the bracket it goes, black plastic then the metal one next is the spring. The washer with the tab then the nut is last. If this doesn’t make sense PM me and I’ll send you a pic.
Now I have a question for you.

My replacement sash channel doesn’t have the screw hole or metal reinforcement at the top like original. Does yours? If so where’d you get them. If not, what are your plans on installing them.

Thanks
Murf

Murf:
I'll get back to you questions later this week; I currently have a heavy workload.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face SWING & a MISS

This was bugging me so while at the shop I pulled one of the Restored Vent assemblies from a current project and my memory is clearly fading
Here is the correct sequence.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
This was bugging me so while at the shop I pulled one of the Restored Vent assemblies from a current project and my memory is clearly fading
Here is the correct sequence.

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to convey. Mine are just like that.

Jeff, do you have any thoughts on my question about the front sash channel deal?

Murf

Old 02-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
Murf:
I'll get back to you questions later this week; I currently have a heavy workload.
Murf;

When you say “sash channel”, I’m assuming you are referring to the top area of the vent window that forms an A shape where the chromed, pot metal, “Vent Window Frame” meets with the sash channel (that is in between the vent window and the main window). If my assumption is correct, there’s simply one screw that joins these two pieces. In the pic I attached, you “cannot” see the screw because it’s embedded within the weather strip.

My Vent Window Frame is original; I just had it re-chromed; so I can’t speak for the reproduction. But if I had to buy replacements, this would be in the Ames catalog G34, vent window frame part # F215 and door glass sash channel part # F238F. I think your 65 and my 67 use the same parts.

So; at this point in this thread, I wish we could compare original parts to replacement parts. If need be, I’ll remove the weather stripping on my original parts, take pic’s and maybe help you with your reproduction parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VentWindow6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	504770  

Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff,

Your pic’s are fantastic and they put a whole new spin (excuse the pun) on how I mis-assembled mine. I did not realize a metal and plastic washer should be in between the C-Shape bracket and sash channel. Next chance I have, I’ll go at it again.

Thank you.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Murf;

When you say “sash channel”, I’m assuming you are referring to the top area of the vent window that forms an A shape where the chromed, pot metal, “Vent Window Frame” meets with the sash channel (that is in between the vent window and the main window). If my assumption is correct, there’s simply one screw that joins these two pieces. In the pic I attached, you “cannot” see the screw because it’s embedded within the weather strip.

My Vent Window Frame is original; I just had it re-chromed; so I can’t speak for the reproduction. But if I had to buy replacements, this would be in the Ames catalog G34, vent window frame part # F215 and door glass sash channel part # F238F. I think your 65 and my 67 use the same parts.

So; at this point in this thread, I wish we could compare original parts to replacement parts. If need be, I’ll remove the weather stripping on my original parts, take pic’s and maybe help you with your reproduction parts.

That’s what I’m referring to. I’m talking about the replacement of the fuzzy channel the window goes up & down in.

Your pic is perfect. Does your screw that holds the channel to the vent frame up at the top go through that little black cap up at the top? My replacement sash channel weatherstrip has the top molded kinda like the original but not exactly. I appreciate your help and apologize for have such a hard time describing what I’m talking about.

Murf

Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That’s what I’m referring to. I’m talking about the replacement of the fuzzy channel the window goes up & down in.

Your pic is perfect. Does your screw that holds the channel to the vent frame up at the top go through that little black cap up at the top? My replacement sash channel weatherstrip has the top molded kinda like the original but not exactly. I appreciate your help and apologize for have such a hard time describing what I’m talking about.

Murf

Yes, this screw goes through the small, top, black, cap at the top of the window. I certainly replaced mine including fuzzies via Ames.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Murf, Jeff

Here is a pic of the part(s) we talked about but separated. I had to disassemble these parts to correctly install the vent window per Jeff Hamlin’s instructions. After reassemble and Jeff’s pic’s, the vent window appears to work as it should with proper tension even before installation in the door. This is going well so far.

What would we (I) have done before talk forums on the internet? (-:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VentWindow8.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	504860   Click image for larger version

Name:	VentWindow9.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	504861  

Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vent Window Nut and Springs Hardware Assemble, 67 GTO ???

Do you have replacement sash channel fuzzies your going to install or are you keeping the originals?
My reproduction sash channel runners have a large bump of rubber roughly shaped like the original hard cap molded into them. I don’t think they would ever hold a screw. I’m not sure what to do. I haven’t seen any reproductions of that hard top piece with the screw hole anywhere. I’d like to do it right but I don’t know if I can find the parts.

One a related issue. How did you get along with those little metal grippers that hold the rubber vent wing gasket in the frame?

Thanks again for your help!
Murf

Last edited by Murf; 02-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Murf, Jeff

Here is a pic of the part(s) we talked about but separated. I had to disassemble these parts to correctly install the vent window per Jeff Hamlin’s instructions. After reassemble and Jeff’s pic’s, the vent window appears to work as it should with proper tension even before installation in the door. This is going well so far.

What would we (I) have done before talk forums on the internet? (-:

So is that hard plastic cap repop or original. My replacement channel run has the top molded to the general shape of the cap but it’s rubber. I don’t believe it will ever hold a screw. I haven’t found that cap repoped anywhere.
On a side not. How did you get along with those little metal grippers that hold the rubber vent wing gasket in? They are giving me fits!

Murf

Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry about the double posts. Operator error.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
So is that hard plastic cap repop or original. My replacement channel run has the top molded to the general shape of the cap but it’s rubber. I don’t believe it will ever hold a screw. I haven’t found that cap repoped anywhere.
On a side not. How did you get along with those little metal grippers that hold the rubber vent wing gasket in? They are giving me fits!

Murf

The fuzzies, rubber and top cap are all replacements. I typically buy my parts from Ames, National Parts Depot and The Part Place. I don’t exactly remember where I found the top cap which may have been included in a kit. Other places I can suggest you search are Original Parts Group, Year One, Dynacorn International and Soft Seal. There’s lots of places online.