Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Carlisle Vendor Space

I apologize for being so vague from the start, however I will still make this comment. In the past I have made purchases to be picked up at Carlisle. This has worked very well for me in the past. However in the last couple of years I have been there I was simply perusing. My complaint, it seems there was very little inventory on the tables for a second gen firebird (Trans Am). Also seemed like a lot of the stuff there were 'slow sellers'. Also, prices did not seem to reflect "show specials" instead everything was priced as advertised in the catalogue. The Ames trailer is typically my first stop as I step into the fairgrounds and I look forward to parting with my cash there (as long as I keep enough for a pop and a pit beef sandwich) however I have gone away disappointed with a pocket full of cash the last couple of years.
Im not really sure what Im trying to say other than maybe a bit of a discount over normal prices, or maybe a better variety of parts. Thanks for listening. See you this spring.
Kerry

Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I apologize for being so vague from the start, however I will still make this comment. In the past I have made purchases to be picked up at Carlisle. This has worked very well for me in the past. However in the last couple of years I have been there I was simply perusing. My complaint, it seems there was very little inventory on the tables for a second gen firebird (Trans Am). Also seemed like a lot of the stuff there were 'slow sellers'. Also, prices did not seem to reflect "show specials" instead everything was priced as advertised in the catalogue. The Ames trailer is typically my first stop as I step into the fairgrounds and I look forward to parting with my cash there (as long as I keep enough for a pop and a pit beef sandwich) however I have gone away disappointed with a pocket full of cash the last couple of years.
Im not really sure what Im trying to say other than maybe a bit of a discount over normal prices, or maybe a better variety of parts. Thanks for listening. See you this spring.
Kerry
Hi Kerry, The inventory on the tables represents a very small portion of what we bring. We only put certain items out as displays. We can only bring so much to the shows, so what we have on the trailer has been figured out to be some of our top sellers. I apologize if we did not have what you needed on the trailer; if you would like to guarantee we have an item there for you, please call ahead for a show pick up. Also if you would like to place an order at the show, we will cover any base shipping on stocked items. Our show discount is figured as shipping savings. Whether you place an order ahead of time, or at the show, we are saving you either all of your shipping or at least the base charges. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for listening. I understand space is at a premium and appreciate everything Ames does for the Pontiac hobby industry. Again, I dont have a particular item in mind, just a train of thought as this great event is nearing.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Administrator

From attending these shows for 30 years as a vendor, I can tell you your expectations for coming to these shows are quite common. However, a lot of people don't make the differentiation between a flea market and a Car Show (swap meet) Flea markets do well because there is an expectation of a 'better' deal. Otherwise, why go walk in a hot dusty field to get the same products you can get in a nice air conditioned mall.

A car show offers a lot of benefits and maybe a bargain lurking but it should not be an expectation. To have the expectation that all the parts at a car show should be cheaper is unfair. It costs a lot of money to bring a warehouse full of parts to a show.

Here are some of the potential benefits of going to a car show/swap meet.
1. Find a used part bargain because someone didn't know what they had.
2. Find a 2nd quality bargain because a show is a great place to inspect and make a qualified decision rather than a picture online.
3. meet the suppliers you deal with in person and establish or foster a consumer to business relationship
4. See the part you want first hand instead of a picture.
5. Get personal advice and attention from a supplier
6. Save on shipping costs especially of large truck freight oversized items.
7. Get away from the house
8. Excuse to get away from the house! :)

Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Suspended

30? I think you are underestimating your time there or you don't want to admit you are getting old. Ha Ha! I think we first met there in the early or mid 80's when it was you, Ed and a little trailer with some graphics on it.

God I miss Ed. RIP Pontiac Ed.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
30? I think you are underestimating your time there or you don't want to admit you are getting old. Ha Ha! I think we first met there in the early or mid 80's when it was you, Ed and a little trailer with some graphics on it.

God I miss Ed. RIP Pontiac Ed.
hmmm, 2019-1983 carry the one, subtract the 19 from the 13...….

wholly ****, you are correct. I stand corrected. 35 years of vending at shows. But I consider those first 5 years of selling used parts a lot more like what Kerry was picturing. With only used parts, I was a very good target for bargains. :)

Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When is the cutoff for ordering parts to be delivered to Carlisle for pickup? Also, what is the policy if they do not get picked up? I plan on going but my schedule changes weekly.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What are the vendor costs at the show now?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
When is the cutoff for ordering parts to be delivered to Carlisle for pickup? Also, what is the policy if they do not get picked up? I plan on going but my schedule changes weekly.
TAKerry, the cutoff for Spring Carlisle will most likely be Tuesday April 23rd at noon. An exact date and time will be determined the week before. If an order does not get picked up, we will bring it back to the shop and attempt contacting you. We will offer to ship an unclaimed order at the expense of the customer. As with every show, please attempt to put in your pick up order as far ahead of time as possible. This will help make sure all of the parts on the order are in stock and available. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
What are the vendor costs at the show now?
Stellar, I am not sure of the current prices, as they do vary. Here is a link with more information and availability:
https://store.carlisleevents.com/Sea...lts.asp?Cat=58
Thanks!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, that late of a cutoff date will surely help me. I should know by the week of the show if Im going to make it. I love going just because, and now that im neck deep into another restoration the pickup of part is a bonus.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a somewhat related note, in the new catalogue you are showing carpet for the Tenth Anniversary T/A, is this part correct, very close or just cut pile like all the others?
Thanks again,
Kerry

Old 04-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, in the new catalogue you are showing carpet for the Tenth Anniversary T/A, is this part correct, very close or just cut pile like all the others?
Thanks again,
Kerry
The 10th Anniversary carpet is very close to the original, but the pile is not quite as deep.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good. Will be on my order. Thanks