Old 05-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Granpa was Pontiac thru and thru

My grandpa always had a Pontiac. I can remember a '64 Catalina, A '69 Catalina, maybe a Grand Prix and a few other after that. I never could figure out the ford truck he always had but I couldn't fault him for just one mistake. Anyway at his funeral I was talking to a cousin ( about 15 or 20 years older). He told me about a ride he took with my grandpa and said only once!
We live about 400 miles from where many of my relatives live and where my grandpa grew up. Back in the '60s and 70's he would make a run back home to see his family. We had quite a bunch of family members living close so whenever someone went home they ask the others if they wanted a ride. So, my cuz went along , once... He said he would never get in any car my grandpa was driving after that! It seems that there were a lot of people from our area heading home and my grandpa knew them, and my grandpa and his Catalina had a bit of a reputation as being the one to beat. Now, the times back then were not like they are now on driving while impaired, so I know my grandpa had a case of Falstaff or Hamm's setting beside him on the front seat.
My grandpa's brother was in a ford trying to catch him and said he kept seeing my Cuz's head for bit and then would see him for a long time. He later asked him what he was doing and was told he was scared too look, felt better not seeing what was going on so he laid down in the back seat the whole way there.
As an adult I now realize it was absolutely crazy driving like that with alcohol in his system but when my Cuz tells the story it makes everyone laugh.

That's my best Pontiac story. If I remember correctly the 64 had a 421 in it and the 69 had a 400 I think. He always said he wish he had never let the 64 go.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

fun story. i can imagine this happening as I have lived through similar situations in the 70's.