Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In general all you need to do is find out if the mower you are looking at is made by MTD, if it is, don't buy it.

MTD makes almost every store brand in the country including Craftsman, they also make Cub Cadet (which I hate since I had Yellow Fever for years and love the old Cub Cadets).

MTD is basically the go-to manufacturer for low end mowers of all kinds.

Bottom line is a good mower/tractor is expensive. You can probably start around $5,000 for an entry level piece of equipment that will last you 30 years. Heck, the mower deck on my Kubota cost more than a lot of store brand tractors.

I mow about 3 acres of my 12. I have a Kubota BX22 4wd with I think a 52" deck, cab, heater, snow thrower and various three point hitch attachments. I bought it used with about 600 hours on it, with the mower deck, cab and snow thrower for $9500. Been using it about ten years now. I expect it to last another 15 no problem.

All depends on your property, if you have a need for a small diesel tractor it will be the best thing you ever bought. But they aren't cheap to buy or to repair if you break something. But probably not worth it if you don't really USE it. I have a backhoe/bucket loader for larger jobs. Both pieces of equipment get used on almost a daily basis logging, digging, landscaping, snow removal, driveway grading, mowing, disking, plowing etc.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think he just needs a mower lol

https://todaysmower.com/riding-mower-brands/

Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
This is what I'm seriously considering. Anyone have one? Useful or a waste?
Sorry Rich, not trying to hijack but the thread is timely for me. I been using a push mower since last year because I can't decide.

I can't speak for that particular model. It's pretty small.

BUT, I can say that a front end loader is VERY useful, especially if you live out in the country & have a dirt or gravel road/driveway to keep up. And if you occasionally get into a wet area & get stuck, you can use the loader to help pull yourself out of the stuck hole. The loader on my Kioti has got me out of a stuck hole MANY times, where otherwise I'd have had to get out the hard way.

Growing up, we always had farm tractors. Used 'em for "bush-hoggin", plowing, makin hay, pullin milk trucks that didn't wanna start, & LOTS of other jobs. But, my dad never bought one with a loader. Thinkin back, I can think of LOTS of times we could have used one, & many times when we really NEEDED one.

So, I HIGHLY recommend a loader. AND, I also HIGHLY recommend 4 wheel drive, along with that loader. For some jobs, a loader is VERY inefficient without 4WD.

I'd also recommend the biggest tractor you could need, that you can afford. I have a Kioti CK27. It's perfect for our needs. Has plenty of power to cut the grass in the old hay field that surrounds our house, with a 5' rotary cutter(which we've always called a "bush hog", regardless of brand), plenty to operate the loader, and plenty to pull non-running vehicles around, and in-&-out of the shop. I wouldn't want one any smaller, but don't need one any bigger.

I suppose that I could buy a finishing mower for the Kioti, & wouldn't even need the lawn tractor. And, the diesel engine of the Kioti uses MUCH less fuel than the 24hp B&S gas engine in the Craftsman rider.

I think my Kioti is called a "compact tractor". I test drove some JD compacts, before buying it. Didn't like the cheaper JD's. I DID really like the JD that was the 1st step above a compact. But it was about twice the price of a Kioti. I think many of the cheaper compacts are made in India & South Korea. The JD's are probably made in the USA(don't know). That's probably why they cost so much.

Anyhow, bottom line is: If I could have only one riding mower, I'd buy the biggest compact tractor I could afford, with 4WD, a loader, live PTO, a rotary cutter, & a finishing mower. And it would have the wider industrial tires, rather than "ag" tires.

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
I think he just needs a mower lol

https://todaysmower.com/riding-mower-brands/
Sid, thanks for that ………...I should have added more info for you guys, my yard is only 100X120 feet, and im 68 this year, so no need for a 15-20 yr model, just looking for something cheap that will last for a least 7 yrs. Figure by that time, I"ll be in a condo.

Rich

Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd consider a Snapper for a lawn that size. Small, simple, not a lot of bells and whistles.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...just looking for something cheap that will last for a least 7 yrs..."

TJ's dad bought a cheap Murray, from Wal Mart, that did that. And his yard was much bigger than yours.

Don't think Wal Mart still sells those cheap Murray mowers.

There's a craftsman for $1299. With the Lowes 10% vet discount, don't know if there is a 42" cheaper than this or not. I'll look.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-t...RoCsF4QAvD_BwE

It's assembled in the USA.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/t...e-riding-mower

Here's a Troy Built Pony for $1099, if there's one at a nearby Rural King store.

https://www.ruralking.com/mower-42-7...xoCONEQAvD_BwE

https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/t...or-13an77bs023

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bil...y-42/307458184

Huskee is $1299 at TSC. May be same as the Troy Built.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...2-riding-mower

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default riding mower

for a usual riding mower i would recomemd a rear engine model, the front engine ones tend to overheat the driver, the rear engine ones dont.also have more weight on the rear tires for steep hills and such.. i have a snapper rear engine 8hp and it works great, got it free and after 2 years of use it only needed a new clutch drum(20$) easy to install...snapper has made these things for 50 years or so, very reliable and easy to fix..not cheap new, but used ones are fairly priced..at least 2 different sizes, and hp engines..nothing to break u cant fix..dealer repair NOT required..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapper.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	515940   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapper-riding-lawn-mower-425-holland-ohio-americanlisted_26124297.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	515941  

Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I can't speak for that particular model. It's pretty small.

Anyhow, bottom line is: If I could have only one riding mower, I'd buy the biggest compact tractor I could afford, with 4WD, a loader, live PTO, a rotary cutter, & a finishing mower. And it would have the wider industrial tires, rather than "ag" tires.
Thanks Don. I NEED a loader and a mower. I don't need a large one though. I only have 5 acres and about 2 are grassy. I just saw one that I would like better on FB marketplace. Good price, went fast. Diesel engine. Massey Ferguson 1705. Looks like just what I am looking for.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. That's called a Sub-Compact. All the major brands have 'em. You can check out the online info. But, I suppose you'd need to buy from a dealer somewhere in your area, in case you ever need service.

My Kioti dealer was only about 25 miles away. They delivered mine for free. There was a problem with the rear hyd lift. They came & picked it up, bringing me another one to use, while they fixed that one. Brought mine back in just a few days, & I haven't had any trouble with it since.

I don't have a clue what the best brand of sub-compact is, or how much the prices vary. When I was shopping, they let me test drive 'em, at every dealer. And, every brand/model I tested felt different.

So, my advice is to go to all the dealers you can go to & drive all the models you think might be what you need. You might notice something you either like or don't like about a particular model, that you would not have known, had you not actually operated it yourself.

For example: When I drove a small JD, I really didn't like the way it shifted. The bigger JD was smooth & shifted completely different. The Kioti was not as smooth, but shifted very similar to the bigger JD, & was about half the JD price.

So, check out as many as you can. You may be surprised at how much difference there is in the way different brands operate, even tho they all LOOK very similar. And, I suppose the warranty is a consideration, as well as price.

Hope you get the best one for your needs !

https://www.bobbyfordkubota.com/who-...re-comparison/

https://www.tradefarmmachinery.com.a...mpact-tractors

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-17-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ALL of the new sub's and compacts are loaded with mandated emissions stuff. They dont run as well and they will tricky and costly to repair. Find a used Sub with low hours and none of the emissions crap so you can change the oil and filters and get many years out of it.
PS. Go on YouTube and search Messicks.....best education for free

Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks gentlemen...I'm taking my time as it sounds like I have a lot to learn. Hate to spend a lot of money on something only to find that I made the wrong decision.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:32 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post
... NEVER EVER buy a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine... Not reliable...
Either that was said in jest or the world has turned upside down...

Old 07-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know it's been said but if speed is an issue, a zero turn does the job quickly. I have 1 acre and can cut my lawn in a little over 30 minutes. I have a fair amount of trees in the lawn and you can really hug the tree with a zero turn. Something to consider.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a better subject would be 'What is the best colour?'
Seriously though, this is a very subjective thread. I think it depends on how much yard you are cutting and what your budget is. I had a 1971 cub cadet that dad bought new. Ran great but was antiquated. About 20 years ago I bought a POS riding mower from Sears Craftsmen. THE reason I bought that particular model was that it had a Kohler motor. I have not done anything to take care of that mower. I beat this poor thing to death, it doesn't deserve the abuse I throw at it on a weekly base. IT still starts and cuts grass every week though. Kinda like an abused puppy. I have had my share of little problems, replaced the blade spindles, new starter, and few little things. But all in all it has been a good machine. I dont think I have ever changed the oil, just add when its low. I have had to weld pieces back to the deck and some of it is held together with hanger wire. Good thing is I can still go online and get parts as needed for it. On the other hand mom has a grasshopper zero turn that I use to cut her lawn. That thing is AWSOME! best cutting mower I have ever been on.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I did a job and the customer had one of those John Deeres, a bit larger though. He let us use it for clean up and it was a pretty nice machine. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Either that was said in jest or the world has turned upside down...
Yep, it was only about ten years ago I got rid of my 1973 and 1967 Cub Cadet lawn tractors, both with Kohler engines. Sold to a guy that is probably still using them. Neither engine had ever been rebuilt in any way.

Those things were tanks, incredibly over built. Both had a rear diff that was bigger and heavier than the diff in a 1/2 ton truck. One was manual, the other was Hydro, both shaft drive.

I don't think the equivalent is even made anymore, you have to go to a full on sub-compact diesel tractor. The old Cubs had a steel channel frame probably 3/16" thick, giant cast iron gearbox and diff, hydraulic deck lift, diff lock etc. All USA made too.

They were so tough people got addicted to them ... it was called Yellow Fever.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
ALL of the new sub's and compacts are loaded with mandated emissions stuff. They dont run as well and they will tricky and costly to repair. Find a used Sub with low hours and none of the emissions crap so you can change the oil and filters and get many years out of it.
PS. Go on YouTube and search Messicks.....best education for free
Curious. Exactly what year did all this start ?

Mine is an '09. If it has any, I'm not aware. All I do is add off-road diesel when needed, & change oil/filter every 100 hours.

https://www.tractor.com/features/die...-epa-1630.html

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ns-please.html

Looks as if 25hp or less engines do not require the emission stuff. There are lots of 25hp or less tractor options.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ml#post5408662

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, it was only about ten years ago I got rid of my 1973 and 1967 Cub Cadet lawn tractors, both with Kohler engines. Sold to a guy that is probably still using them. Neither engine had ever been rebuilt in any way.

Those things were tanks, incredibly over built. Both had a rear diff that was bigger and heavier than the diff in a 1/2 ton truck. One was manual, the other was Hydro, both shaft drive.

I don't think the equivalent is even made anymore, you have to go to a full on sub-compact diesel tractor. The old Cubs had a steel channel frame probably 3/16" thick, giant cast iron gearbox and diff, hydraulic deck lift, diff lock etc. All USA made too.

They were so tough people got addicted to them ... it was called Yellow Fever.
Still using the 1971 127 I got from my grandfather. Plowing all winter and cutting all summer. 2acres of cutting in fact.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Sid, thanks for that ………...I should have added more info for you guys, my yard is only 100X120 feet, and im 68 this year, so no need for a 15-20 yr model, just looking for something cheap that will last for a least 7 yrs. Figure by that time, I"ll be in a condo.

Rich
If your yard is flat why not just get a walk behind self propelled? The exercise couldn't hurt.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 was a 123, manual gearbox, had the old welded plate steel deck. Just great machines, and a huge following, many of the parts are being reproduced now. Very active internet forum scene for them also. If anyone wants to know how a lawn tractor should be built .... do an ebay search on vintage cub cadet differential ... looks like something that comes out of a 12 bolt.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post: