THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw Rush many times in the last 40 years. By far, Neil was my favorite musician in my favorite band. He'd be ticked to know we were making a big deal out of this, but I feel compelled to express my thoughts on his passing.

Its odd how someone you never met can have an impact on your life. The Rush music, the Rush lyrics (of which he wrote most) and the Rush attitude, all had a way of speaking to my 8 year old self. Grabbing the liner for the Moving Pictures album and reading 'a song about a car' was all that was needed to hook me forever. For every significant moment in my life since, his music was my background. You see, as a 3rd generation "drummer" (I use the term loosely) he also spoke to the creative side of me. His artistry was lost on many who didn't understand drumming, but if you really dive into the parts he crafted, even today, I'm amazed at his ability to make complex signatures seems normal and rhythmic, and his ability to fit so much into so little.

It was Neil's self proclaimed goofiness in school and outcast nature that connected with me growing up. It kinda still does. Remember, I've driven a 73 LeMans since high school, so I understand being on the outer edge of the cool crowd. Most of all though, it was his humility he and the band consistently displayed that really sold them on me. All Rush ever wanted to be, was to be the best at their craft. They weren't condescending, they appreciated their fans and understood their affect on their fan base. I really respected that. Even the way they bowed out of the music scene, they were the consummate class act.

He wasn't the in your face musician with the makeup, wild parties and blatant drug abuse. His personality shone through his incredibly complex drum composition, his inspiring lyric, as well as his articulate and vivid description of his encounters within his books. It all has a way of speaking to me. Everything with his name on it I own, and every interview, column and article I could get my hands by him or the band, I've consumed many, many times. My drum kit mimics his Signals kit, all the way down to the sticks. (except the color, cant do red) That voice that has been with me so long, for so much, stopped on Tuesday and its odd...I've never met the guy, but felt like he paved a path for ME to prove its OK to be different. Thanks Neil.

He inspired many and will continue to do so for a long time.

Exit the Warrior indeed.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
The Following User Says Thank You to 73LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neil’s lyrics really do bring things home sometimes. I remember “Fly By Night” was my go-to song whenever I was moving from one place to another in my military days. “Anthem” when I need to pull my head out of my ass and do something good for myself. “Subdivisions” when I drive through my old neighborhood and look at the rows of identical houses. “Bastille Day” when I get those weird, sudden urges to behead random strangers.

Ok just kidding about that last one!

Last edited by i82much; 01-11-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RIP Neil Peart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEagi9co0Ko

Old 01-11-2020, 01:35 AM

Obviously not the appropriate car that pertains to the song but still a great song.

This is the song that got me hooked on rush Wayback when.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epr144KsKGI

Old 01-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! I've seen those guys play many time late 79's early 80's
I'll never forget the time I went in a snow storm to see them in Portland Maine...no one was there so they played whatever they wanted and I was right at the stage....best concert!
Neil was hailed as one of the worlds best percussionist and I agree.
My entire family will miss such a great musician!
Thank you Neil for giving your all your entire life!
God bless Neil Peart!

This is a neat warm up vid they did for 2112 not too long ago..drum set is a work of art and simple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCVIb_ku_Y

Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seen a RUSH documentary a few years ago on Youtube(?) that described their upbringing, parents history, and school situations, that brought them to form RUSH. Plenty of interviews, and their being pals is evident.

Well done and could inspire me to dig/invest into their albums. Suppose if i knew a friend that had all their albums, knew what music style i liked, then could point out the RUSH albums worthy of playing through (not 1 hit song per side deals).

Play-through albums;
James Gang (any and all of them)
Mountain ( their live albums)
Cream ( all of the original releases)
Led Zeppelin (all of them, original, bootsleggers, outtakes)
Steve Miller Band ( all up to 1971)
Pink Floyd (Obscured by Clouds, Live at Pompei, most of Ummagumma), MORE, Relics
Jethro Tull, (all up to 1971)
The Who (Quadrophenia, Live at Leeds, Who By Numbers
Herb Alpert (all of them up to 1976)
Titus Groan
Yardbirds (all albums)
The CARS (1st, Candy-O)
AC/DC (High Voltage)
John Mayal &the Blues Breakers (a few of the 60's-1970)
Chambers Brothers(Time has come Today album)
Rod Stewart (Every Picture tells a story album)
WINGS (Ram, Speed of Sound, Band on the Run, London Town)
Beatles (Sgt Pepper)
Zappa (Apostrophe, Chungas Revenge, Hot Rats, a few others if you can dig it)
Steelers Wheel (stuck in the middle)
and more...

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 01-11-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moving Pictures is the obvious choice - accessible songs for FM radio as well as deeper cuts with a lot of musical depth. Check out the guitar solo on Limelight and the entirety of YYZ.

2112 is the other one that jumps out at you. One side is a prog rock opera, the other side has Passage to Bangkok which really shows how the band can create a sense of movement.

Or just get Chronicles and play it on random. Once you get used to Geddy’s voice, there is a lot of good stuff across all of their work.

As a quick test, if the intro to Spirit of Radio doesn’t grab you, I’d say just move on.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Truly one of the best R&R drummers that lived.

Rush played a lot of schools, bars and small local venues while starting off. Lots of places in the States too.

https://www.rush.com/tour/rush/

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php

In the early days they were the opening act for many Rock greats. Opened or played with other classics like ZZ Top, Nazareth, KISS, Manfred Mann (first show with Neil Peart in August 1974 in Pittsburgh), Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, T-Rex, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, Styx, Aerosmith, Max Webster. Fog Hat, Cheap Trick and many more.

The Canadian bands April Wine, Chilliwack, Max Webster, Streetheart, Payola$, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider, The Tragically Hip & FM, were all opening acts for Rush, in addition to numerous US and British artists.

RIP Neil Peart

Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks so much for that link with all of the tour dates! It's so cool but also kind of melancholy to remember now the exact dates that I saw them and where I was in my life. Literally and figuratively. Laura Secord High School in St. Catherines, Centennial Arena in North Bay, Twice in Edmonton, then again in Toronto. I'd always thought that I'd get to see them one last time. But they never had a "farewell tour" or anything like that. That just wasn't their style.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RIP in the limelight my brother. You brought the heat.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP. You were truly an icon in the music world.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 AM
Senior Chief

When I was in the 6th grade in 1981 I remember being at my grandma's house and my uncle who was five years older than me says "hey man you gotta listen to this new album I got it just came out" he pulls out Moving Pictures puts it on the record player and I was blown away. Been a huge fan ever since! The early stuff is still my favorite. Just last weekend I was out in the garage playing Caress Of Steel trying to learn some of the acoustic parts on my guitar.
So yes its pretty sad to hear of Neils passing

Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 AM

RIP to a great drummer

67 is way too young and all the more reason to retire asap when I can

Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Judge View Post
Truly one of the best R&R drummers that lived.

Rush played a lot of schools, bars and small local venues while starting off. Lots of places in the States too.

https://www.rush.com/tour/rush/

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php

In the early days they were the opening act for many Rock greats. Opened or played with other classics like ZZ Top, Nazareth, KISS, Manfred Mann (first show with Neil Peart in August 1974 in Pittsburgh), Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, T-Rex, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, Styx, Aerosmith, Max Webster. Fog Hat, Cheap Trick and many more.

The Canadian bands April Wine, Chilliwack, Max Webster, Streetheart, Payola$, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider, The Tragically Hip & FM, were all opening acts for Rush, in addition to numerous US and British artists.

RIP Neil Peart
I saw them in Youngstown Ohio at the Tomorrow Club When their first album came out. WMMS in Cleveland was probably one of the first radio stations that played and promoted their music in the states back then.
Never really got or was a fan of their music but how could you not appreciate the pure talent.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
The Following User Says Thank You to TCSGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Music, in a way, is math. If so, Neil Peart was a quantum physicist of a drummer. He was so complex it was incredible.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing out pour of old & current bands on Youtube for Neil!
Please check it out!

Old 01-18-2020, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Heard a local DJ, John Derringer on Q107 in Toronto, refer to Neil Peart as a percussionist, lyricist, author as well as one of the best drummers to live.

Brings you back in time when you see the list of venues and know you were there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Thanks so much for that link with all of the tour dates! It's so cool but also kind of melancholy to remember now the exact dates that I saw them and where I was in my life. Literally and figuratively. Laura Secord High School in St. Catherines, Centennial Arena in North Bay, Twice in Edmonton, then again in Toronto. I'd always thought that I'd get to see them one last time. But they never had a "farewell tour" or anything like that. That just wasn't their style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSGTO View Post
I saw them in Youngstown Ohio at the Tomorrow Club When their first album came out. WMMS in Cleveland was probably one of the first radio stations that played and promoted their music in the states back then.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:47 PM
Senior Chief

Canada should have to pay some sort of tax any time Rush is played anywhere in the world ! There’s a guy at work with a Rush belt buckle - we don’t talk to him .

Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
Canada should have to pay some sort of tax any time Rush is played anywhere in the world ! There’s a guy at work with a Rush belt buckle - we don’t talk to him .
Agree... almost; the rest of the world should have to pay some sort of tax to Canada, every time Rush is played.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2nd best Canadian pair almost became a Power Trio with Geddy Lee;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI