THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Suspended

LOL! Here you go. Big, safe and GM. Don't know if your daughter will have a different reaction though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZI81GcnVU

Old 01-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Her first time driving was in our 60 Safari wagon. She didn’t hate it. I didn’t want her in my company truck for obvious reasons. Didn’t want her in the hellcat for more obvious reasons.... the wagon was there so we took it out.

Scat- that is a fear of mine. Put a lot of time, $$, and effort into something and the kid not like it.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Guess I'm lucky. I have two daughters, 21 and 19, and neither want (or have) a driver's licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62cat View Post
I built this for my daughter for her first car. She wanted it. First ride she didn't like the long nose. She wound up using our 2001 PT Cruiser for a few years.
I graduated in 1983 and I would have loved to drive something like that!

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are a good dad to be thinking this through! Lucky daughter.

Interesting to read others' experience and suggestions. IMO, safety has to be a high priority, especially in a big crowded city.

We have 3 sons but no daughters so my experience with their high school vehicles may not apply but....

4WD Ranger pickup was reliable, tough, and durable. It survived and kept 2 of them safe through multiple bumps and bashes. Went over 180K with only minor issues and was cheap and easy to repair. 4WD got them home in snow and fit their desire for "adventure" in the foothills. A Jeep Cherokee 4.0 we had was similar but more expensive to operate.

Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 not so much. POS and not a good choice. Was in the shop more than I care to remember and expensive for a teen.

Honda Civic was too small and vulnerable. I was never comfortable with that one.

VW Jettas (we had 4) were great teenager cars. Good safety equipment and reputation, responsive, and were reliable for us. When they broke, though, they were difficult to repair.

If I had to do it again, I like the small SUV/pickup idea the best. Extended cab holds friends and there was always stuff to haul around.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
This is my philosophy. I'd get her something like a mid-2000s Crown Vic and not care too much if she loved it or not. When she buys it, let that be the one she loves.
My son's first car was a '78 Bonneville. He beat the crap out of it, wrecked it a couple of times and bought for himself what he really wanted when he joined the Navy.
Funny, he's nostalgic about the Bonneville now and says he wouldn't mind having another.
I gave my son a rust free 75 GV with a 455 that I saved from derby guys years ago, but it’s not going to be his daily driver.
My son works and saved his money so he bought 94 4wd Dakota 3.9 V6 with a 5 speed off my wife’s family. It’ll need a clutch and some front end work, but it’ll be perfect as he needs a truck to take his motor cross and 4 wheeler out to all the off road parks down here.
Hopefully we’ll be hauling it up from Texas by spring.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Her first time driving was in our 60 Safari wagon. She didn’t hate it. I didn’t want her in my company truck for obvious reasons. Didn’t want her in the hellcat for more obvious reasons.... the wagon was there so we took it out.

Scat- that is a fear of mine. Put a lot of time, $$, and effort into something and the kid not like it.
This goes back a number of years for me...

Our daughter got her driver's license in 1989. Initially she was allowed to drive my wife's 79 Grand LeMans when needed. She was just happy to have something to drive.

A coworker's uncle had a '79 Mustang (6 cylinder - like most Mustangs of that era) that he wanted to get rid of. I bought it to flip it, but when I brought it home my daughter asked "Is that for me?".

Hadn't really though about buying her a car, but I only paid $700 for it, so I told her that if she had a job so that she could afford gas and all normal maintenance it could be. I gave her 30 days to get a job. It took her 3 days to find a job.

About a year later, I changed jobs and needed to replace my 1985 regular cab pickup with a car. She asked if she could have my truck instead of the car, so I finally got to flip the Mustang. Sold it for $2000.

I guess the point I'm making is kids should be happy with whatever you get them when it comes to a car. When they spend their own money, they can get what they want.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Before we got the Fiero , my aunt gave me a 1984 Buick Park Avenue. This was the last year before it became a FWD. It had a 3.8 v6 in it that needed replacing. It was a really nice car but between the Fiero and the Buick you can guess which car my daughter wanted. The Fiero only held one other person which was another plus. Friends of mine asked why I would put my daughter in a small car but the Fiero was a very safe car.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:49 AM

Have her drive a common car her first year with her license because she's going to wreck. Let her learn to drive in a common car, not a rare collectible car. After a year that she's shown she is responsible and has learned to drive then get her an awesome car. Everything in this world should be earned.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 01-22-2020, 12:27 PM

Just my 2 cents worth: Buyer beware buying a car that don't run. It might need a new engine, new trans, new rearend, the list goes on and on. I recommend not buying anything that you can't test drive. For a teenage daughter, that's not the right car anyway especially if it has an LT1 V8 as I assume with opti-spark. Get her something newer, safer, something some young boy is not going to pester her to drive. Buy a car for your daughter, not for you.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hope so- basically I am asking if the group thinks a 25 yr old car is reliable enough to drive daily.

I know some here daily drive classics but this is a girl with very little mecahnical knowledge
Absolutely. As long as it's well maintained and good shape there is no reason for me to think it's any less reliable than a new car.

Like you eluded to, we are one of those families that drives classics daily. Got away from the new car stuff years ago. Quite frankly I trust the 50+ year old cars we drive more than any new car, simply because they are stupid simple vehicles with hardly anything that will go wrong.

My son drives either a 65 bug or his 89 5.0 Mustang back and forth to college, and they have been his daily cars since he was 16. The Mustang is 31 years old now and just rolled over 250,000 miles with it's original untouched engine.

I assume with your girl at 16 she's still living at home and will be driving back and forth as such. With that in mind I don't view her as helpless with a lack of mechanical knowledge in the event that the car may break down, since dad is close and always willing to lend a helping hand

Old 01-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
(you would be sick at the vehicles in the school parking lot- SRT8’s, new mustangs, bmw’s, New trucks, SUV’s, etc)... but I need to know if she feels that way
Right here is the real issue, what kind of abuse and harassment will she have to endure in HS driving a car not accepted by the "IN" crowd. Certain schools are worse than others.

Safe reliable and cool is what you need! Last thing I want to worry about is my girl broken down on a side of a road somewhere.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't view that as a problem. Guess it's location specific?

My son attends Embry Riddle, one of the best aeronautical colleges in the country. And yes the lot is full of BMW's, Porches, brand new Mustangs and Challengers, and many other $80k plus vehicles. But there is also a rather large classic car movement there. One guy drives a 69 Super Bee, couple of old corvettes and classic muscle, probably more than a couple dozen air cooled bugs and so forth.

Neither I or my son have ever been intimidated seeing high end cars around. Being the old school fart that I am I actually view them as lesser cars so it doesn't really bother us. Matter of fact when I roll in with the 69 Z or the Formula, I always have several of the kids come over and ask about it, take pictures etc... They love that stuff.

I guess if someone has a complex then it's a different story.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My daughter doesn’t care at all about the social aspect of it. This daughter doesn’t ever ask for anything (except a puppy) and has a 4.8 GPA.

But, she is introverted and I don’t want to add anything to the already crazy struggles for kids that age. If someone said something she would never tell me, just deal with it

Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 01-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 70's and 80's when everyone was driving new cars to school, it wasn't much different than it is today, and here is what I was daily driving back then
It still appears today exactly as it did then.
Granted there were still many who drove hotrods during that time frame but I had the oldest hotrod in the lot by far and I was proud of it.

Wanna talk about safety? Learn to drive one of these with manual steering, 4 speed, and manual drum brakes and you learn real quick what it means to drive defensively And that's a good lesson to learn for a beginner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200044.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	529465  

Old 01-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sweet nomad, I graduated in '82 and drove a hand me down, hot rodded 65 ford short bed pickup. It was one of the older vehicles there. I had a buddy that had a 53 caddy. Another girl had a really nice hot rodded 57 bel air. Funny thing is that my truck seemed VERY old at the time, but I guess it was only about 17yrs old at the time, my daily driver work truck is an 06 f150 that's nearly that old now and I dont think a thing about its age.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought the same thing. I graduated in 94 and drive a 1970 LeMans through high school. Do it was 24 years old. Still drive it occasionally today. Now I’m wondering if it’s possible to drive a 25 year old car to school?

I remember the kids that had the Iroc’s, 5.0’s and when the new Trans Am came out in 93??? My god I was in love. That’s obviously why I love 4th gens so much.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
In the 70's and 80's when everyone was driving new cars to school, it wasn't much different than it is today, and here is what I was daily driving back then
It still appears today exactly as it did then.
Granted there were still many who drove hotrods during that time frame but I had the oldest hotrod in the lot by far and I was proud of it.

Wanna talk about safety? Learn to drive one of these with manual steering, 4 speed, and manual drum brakes and you learn real quick what it means to drive defensively And that's a good lesson to learn for a beginner.
HA HA, so true but don't forget we bought the car under that one (72 SS 454 chevy) when you were in high school to. You didn't pick up many girls in the 56 lol.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you have a friendly insurance agent:

Make an appointment for you and your daughter.

The insurance agent is going to have all kinds of facts as to safety, insurance costs, initial costs, reliability, etc. that none of us here with have (unless they are either in the insurance industry or the car sales industry).

If you trust the agent, LISTEN!

Get a list of suggested makes, models, years, etc.; then visit a used car lot. Let your daughter actually look at the various cars (aesthetics), sit in the cars (seat adjustment, comfort, etc.) and check out the instruments layout.

If she finds a model she really likes, ask her if she likes the color, interior, etc.

Then starting looking for that model.

Along with finding something she likes that is safe, you have the added benefit of trust from your daughter, for allowing her to make a decision.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
IF you have a friendly insurance agent:

Make an appointment for you and your daughter.

The insurance agent is going to have all kinds of facts as to safety, insurance costs, initial costs, reliability, etc. that none of us here with have (unless they are either in the insurance industry or the car sales industry).

If you trust the agent, LISTEN!

Get a list of suggested makes, models, years, etc.; then visit a used car lot. Let your daughter actually look at the various cars (aesthetics), sit in the cars (seat adjustment, comfort, etc.) and check out the instruments layout.

If she finds a model she really likes, ask her if she likes the color, interior, etc.

Then starting looking for that model.

Along with finding something she likes that is safe, you have the added benefit of trust from your daughter, for allowing her to make a decision.

Jon.
This sounds like the best advice yet! Makes perfect sense.