Old 01-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power Steering advice

Concerning my 68 GTO.

I've got the engine in the chassis and I'm trying to hook up as many of the ancillary systems and get them working before I drop the body and add sheet metal.

Pump is OEM that I rebuilt, steering box is a NAPA unit if I recall. I hooked up the hoses, filled with GM power steering fluid and spun up the pulley with a drill, after a moment ... it started pumping, burping air between spins. I was able to turn the steering shaft with one hand while spinning the pump and the wheels turn as expected (wheels off the ground). Went lock to lock with no apparent problems except some guggling as air bled out of the box.

Anything I should know/check before considering this system buttoned up for now? Next couple of days I plan on having the wife turn the shaft (no pun intended) while I spin the pulley with the wheels on the ground to see how it feels. With the wheels off the ground the shaft turned as easily as you would expect from PS. Not sure if the drill will have the nads to operate the pump while the wheels are down.

What is the best way to change the fluid? I'd like to change it to remove any garbage from the pump and box.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to turn the pump. By slowly moving the wheel (or shaft in your case) lock to lock, the steering gear acts as a pump moving the fluid and burping the air out of the system. This is the recommended way as written by Saginaw engineer Jim Shea.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=593

The official version from a GM bulletin

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=590Lots of great steering information on his website.

Best way to change fluid is to disconnect the return hose from the pump and into a container, slowly turning the steering wheel as outlined above. Keep adding fluid to the pump to prevent air from entering the system

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 01-22-2020 at 04:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you sir, excellent information.

I did it the wrong way, and experienced exactly what Jim describes

Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the steering gear out of my El Camino 3 or 4 times and got the routine down pretty good.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would having the wheels off the ground and moving the wheels lock to lock by grabbing the wheels and moving them do the same as using the steering wheel?

Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Would having the wheels off the ground and moving the wheels lock to lock by grabbing the wheels and moving them do the same as using the steering wheel?
Yes

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to 67gtospud For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Confidence check: 2.4 Turns or Variable Ration PS is waaay better than Manual Steer, or 4.x turns PS, in a 68 GTO. No 1/4 mile harm for low 12's.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again for the advice guys. Jacked it up and cycled the steering lock to lock by moving the wheels and it burped all the air out of the box. Quiet as a mouse now, no hissing or gurgling.